ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 6
< 123 456 >
Media Center>Great older movies you really like that NEVER get replayed on TV
scho63 08:58 AM 04-11-2022
I really wish that TV stations expanded their horizons and played movies we haven't seen in years or cult classics that deserve a shot.

So many of the same shit over and over and over and over. Worse is the stupid remakes that suck balls or worse yet the horrible prequels/sequels.

I'll start with two:

One on One
starred: Robby Benson, Annette O Toole and GD Spradlin.
Plot: High School All Star BB players goes to college and is not so special anymore

Divorcing Jack
only known actor/actress is Rachel Griffiths
Divorcing Jack is a 1998 satirical black comedy. The plot is set around the Northern Irish reporter Dan Starkey who gets entangled in a web of political intrigue and Irish sectarian violence, at the same time as Northern Ireland is set to elect a new Prime Minister. Writer Colin Bateman adapted his own 1995 book as the screenplay.

I would also love to see "The White Shadow", "James at 15" and "Family" television series replayed from start to finish.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 02:52 PM 04-12-2022
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Times have really changed. I saw part of Meatballs a couple of years ago, and Bill Murray pretty much sexually assaulted one of the counselors while the laugh track roared. And I was probably laughing the first time I saw it.
Remember Revenge of the Nerds, where if you put on a Darth Vadar mask and give a good dicking under false pretenses, the sorority babes will swoon and dump the jock?
[Reply]
Rain Man 02:52 PM 04-12-2022
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Decker pretty much did the same thing to Rachel in Blade Runner. Even as a kid that scene kind of disturbed me.

Apparently she was cool with it, though.
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Remember Revenge of the Nerds, where if you put on a Darth Vadar mask and give a good dicking under false pretenses, the sorority babes will swoon and dump the jock?
As much as we all roll our eyes at political correctness, I have to say that it's probably good for empathy in many respects. I've seen several movies from the 1970s and 1980s in recent years where my jaw dropped at how different types of people (mostly minority people, women, and gays) were portrayed or mentioned. And this is not ancient history - this is when many of us were in high school.

That said, I'm not going to condemn the movies or say that people shouldn't watch them. They're a product of their times, and they can still be good movies. But wow, I see some scenes differently now than I did back then.
[Reply]
Rain Man 02:56 PM 04-12-2022
As for shows themselves, I'm currently enjoying the fact that I found My Name is Earl and Malcolm in the Middle on Amazon. I'll let myself watch one episode of each on the weekends (okay, maybe two). Those shows are awesome.

I found Third Rock from the Sun a couple of years ago and binge-watched the series. I really enjoyed that show when it was on the air, but as I binge-watched it I could see a noticeable drop in creativity and quality the last couple of seasons. It was a good show, but also a good decision to cancel it.
[Reply]
Frazod 02:57 PM 04-12-2022
As much as we all roll our eyes at political correctness, I have to say that it's probably good for empathy in many respects. I've seen several movies from the 1970s and 1980s in recent years where my jaw dropped at how different types of people (mostly minority people, women, and gays) were portrayed or mentioned. And this is not ancient history - this is when many of us were in high school.

That said, I'm not going to condemn the movies or say that people shouldn't watch them. They're a product of their times, and they can still be good movies. But wow, I see some scenes differently now than I did back then.
I remember when I was in elementary school in the 70s, the poem "The Heathen Chinee" was in one of my text books.

Times have definitely changed.
[Reply]
Rain Man 03:04 PM 04-12-2022
Oh, I'm talking TV shows and not movies. I'll recalibrate.

I want to go find Kelly's Heroes. And Pleasantville. Maybe The Great Escape.
[Reply]
smith11 01:03 AM 04-13-2022
Originally Posted by scho63:
I really wish that TV stations expanded their horizons and played movies we haven't seen in years or cult classics that deserve a shot.

So many of the same shit over and over and over and over. Worse is the stupid remakes that suck balls or worse yet the horrible prequels/sequels.

I'll start with two:

One on One
starred: Robby Benson, Annette O Toole and GD Spradlin.
Plot: High School All Star BB players goes to college and is not so special anymore

Divorcing Jack
only known actor/actress is Rachel Griffiths
Divorcing Jack is a 1998 satirical black comedy. The plot is set around the Northern Irish reporter Dan Starkey who gets entangled in a web of political intrigue and Irish sectarian violence, at the same time as Northern Ireland is set to elect a new Prime Minister. Writer Colin Bateman adapted his own 1995 book as the screenplay.

I would also love to see "The White Shadow", "James at 15" and "Family" television series replayed from start to finish.
I would like to see again a movie called Go Tell The Spartans, about military advisers early in US involvement in vietnam, with burt lancaster
[Reply]
Stewie 09:00 AM 04-13-2022
After Hours

Breaking Away
[Reply]
Baby Lee 10:55 AM 04-13-2022
Originally Posted by Stewie:
After Hours

Breaking Away
You know, I've NEVER seen Breaking Away, and it's one of those films where everyone whose taste I value has raved about and I've wanted to watch forever. It just never comes to mind when I'm in the mood for a movie and when it does come to mind I'm too busy to sit down for that long.

It might be the most highly acclaimed movie that I know I'd probably like that I've never seen.

Some day. . . .
[Reply]
frozenchief 11:41 AM 04-13-2022
Some good old movies that don't get played enough? I reserve the right to add to this list but I'll start with

Big Country - great Western
Cat Ballou - not a big Jane Fonda fan but its really funny
Seems Like Old Times
[Reply]
Pepe Silvia 11:45 AM 04-13-2022
Firstborn 1984

Starring Peter Weller before he was Robocop. It also starred Christopher Collett from “ The Manhattan Project”, Terri Garr, and a young Corey Haim (I think it was his first film). They used to show it on HBO all the time but I haven’t seen it on tv in about 25 years. Weller really showed his acting chops in this one.

[Reply]
cripple creek 12:43 PM 04-13-2022
jerimiah johnson
[Reply]
siberian khatru 12:43 PM 04-13-2022
Originally Posted by PackerinMo:
Firstborn 1984

Starring Peter Weller before he was Robocop. It also starred Christopher Collett from “ The Manhattan Project”, Terri Garr, and a young Corey Haim (I think it was his first film). They used to show it on HBO all the time but I haven’t seen it on tv in about 25 years. Weller really showed his acting chops in this one.

Excellent movie, Weller is terrific.
[Reply]
Rain Man 04:01 PM 04-13-2022
Does anyone remember an old Charles Bronson movie called "From Noon Till Three"? I remember seeing it on TV when I was a teen and it really struck me because it was a western that wasn't really a western and had a couple of odd plot twists. I thought it was a made-for-TV movie, but it looks like maybe it was in theaters. There are a few reviews of it online that are very mixed. I'd be interested in seeing it again to see if 59 year old me would have a different impression of it than 13 year old me.
[Reply]
Fish 04:52 PM 04-13-2022
Does anyone remember an old Charles Bronson movie called "From Noon Till Three"? I remember seeing it on TV when I was a teen and it really struck me because it was a western that wasn't really a western and had a couple of odd plot twists. I thought it was a made-for-TV movie, but it looks like maybe it was in theaters. There are a few reviews of it online that are very mixed. I'd be interested in seeing it again to see if 59 year old me would have a different impression of it than 13 year old me.
FYI.. It's on Amazon Prime. Watched it many many years ago. Think I might check it out again.
[Reply]
Rain Man 06:18 PM 04-13-2022
Originally Posted by Fish:
FYI.. It's on Amazon Prime. Watched it many many years ago. Think I might check it out again.
I'll have to check it out on some slow night.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 6
< 123 456 >
Up