ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 11
« First < 34567 891011 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Blowfish got Whacked
gblowfish 01:14 PM 02-04-2023
I lost my job yesterday.

Didn't really get "fired." More like laid off. They told me they couldn't afford to pay me any more, and end of February would be my last day.

I'm a free agent. If anybody here in the KC area could use a guy like me in customer service, or a work from home deal, I'm open to just about anything. I'd been with my employer for 16 years, and with my previous employer before that for 20. I've been in media manufacturing for 36 years. First time I've been unemployed since 1985. It's a little scary. Have no idea what I'll do next. But it's also kind of exciting, as I can go and do just about anything. I just hope it doesn't take a long time to get somebody to take a chance on me. If you guys have any leads for me, pm me for my cell or email to gblowfish@comcast.net. I've got a resume I can send you.

Thanks for the good mojo. I'm a little blue this weekend as you can imagine.

Mrs. B took me to dinner last night, then we saw "A Man Called Otto" with Tom Hanks. Geez...what a laugh riot. I haven't chuckled that much since I saw "Schindler's List!" I feel so much better now.
[Reply]
KCUnited 01:13 PM 02-05-2023
Its a shitty feeling but I'm sure its going to work out just fine for you George.

I was in a similar situation a few years ago. Pumped out a bunch of resumes before ultimately being rehired by the same company in a better position.

Anyway, a couple years later I got an email that I was being included in a class action lawsuit due to age discrimination in hiring practices at one of the places I applied (and never heard from).

Apparently they were using college graduation years to check off applicants. I was in my early fucking 40s and would've dominated their position.

Figured what the hell and included myself in the lawsuit which has paid me out over 3K since.

It was a real eye opener for me.
[Reply]
kcpasco 01:41 PM 02-05-2023
Good luck Blowfish, I do really enjoy your 10 things after games.
[Reply]
Fat Elvis 01:48 PM 02-05-2023
I wish you the best of luck, George. I'm sorry you are going through this now. I trust better things are in the future for you!
[Reply]
Why Not? 01:55 PM 02-05-2023
You hear or read success stories out of these situations all of the time. Mine was a little different than yours since I was in my early thirties when I got laid off but I did have a 6 month pregnant for the first time wife and little savings since the job I was so scared after losing paid shitty anyway. I decided to go into business for myself and I think it was year 2 when I eclipsed the amount I had made in earnings after working for a decade with my old employer. It's been over a decade since and I can't even begin to tell you how grateful I am every day for getting laid off 14 years ago. Outside of my wife and kids, it's the best thing that has ever happened to me. Again, some different circumstances but in all of these types of stories, the person or people involved overcome those circumstances and end up just fine. You will be as well.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 03:08 PM 02-05-2023
Originally Posted by gblowfish:
That's good advice. I hate that these computer bots just look for buzzwords. Lots of the sites that list jobs are crammed with weasel speak and BS generated motivational hype. On a lot of the listings, you can't even figure out what the company does! Miss the old days when you could type up a resume, put on a suit, walk into the business and talk to the owner. Sell yourself in person. That's how I got most of my jobs in the past. Brave new world. And there's a LOT of age discrimination against people older than 50.
You're correct, yes. Some of these industries are so desperate though they can't afford to discriminate against older people anymore.

Would strike while some of these people are still hot for workers.
[Reply]
Coach 05:08 PM 02-05-2023
G (or others who need work),

Not sure what you have in mind, but if you need something temporarily, I know a buddy of mine who runs a liquor store that needs help. Believe he said he has PT and/or FT available. Mostly would be cashier work/customer service type, maybe a little light stocking work, but nothing heavy duty stuff.

Don't know his pay is, but I know he's a small business, so unlikely you'd get any benefits and/or retirement benefits with it. If you're just looking for work/money to temporarily get by, send me a message and I can direct you to him.

He's up by the northland by Tiffany Springs area, so not sure if that'll be quite a drive for you.
[Reply]
SuperBowl4 05:12 PM 02-05-2023
call the chiefs and see if they have any job openings
[Reply]
scho63 07:25 PM 02-05-2023
GB, my recommendation to you would be to think very different.

I would look at how you can bridge the time between today and retirement day and look to make enough money at anything to get to the finish line.

I would use all your prior contacts and connections to see if they have anything along with a great referral letter from the company who had to let you go.

Lastly, your writing skills could allow you to do freelance writing for publications.

Good luck my friend!
[Reply]
Mosbonian 08:07 PM 02-05-2023
George....sent you an IM....

Take a look at it when you get a moment. Let me know if you have any questions.
[Reply]
Dave Lane 08:31 PM 02-05-2023
George if you decide to take a break and want a vacation, I got a place in south Utah I can put your name on for a week. Gratis even.
There is no where on earth like south Utah, really.

Dave

Originally Posted by gblowfish:
I lost my job yesterday.

Didn't really get "fired." More like laid off. They told me they couldn't afford to pay me any more, and end of February would be my last day.

I'm a free agent. If anybody here in the KC area could use a guy like me in customer service, or a work from home deal, I'm open to just about anything. I'd been with my employer for 16 years, and with my previous employer before that for 20. I've been in media manufacturing for 36 years. First time I've been unemployed since 1985. It's a little scary. Have no idea what I'll do next. But it's also kind of exciting, as I can go and do just about anything. I just hope it doesn't take a long time to get somebody to take a chance on me. If you guys have any leads for me, pm me for my cell or email to gblowfish@comcast.net. I've got a resume I can send you.

Thanks for the good mojo. I'm a little blue this weekend as you can imagine.

Mrs. B took me to dinner last night, then we saw "A Man Called Otto" with Tom Hanks. Geez...what a laugh riot. I haven't chuckled that much since I saw "Schindler's List!" I feel so much better now.

[Reply]
FAX 08:52 PM 02-05-2023
Clearly, your previous employer is managed by idiots and buffoons. Their loss is your time to reflect, Mr. gblowfish.

In the meantime, perhaps you might find this enjoyable.

FAX
[Reply]
gblowfish 07:44 PM 02-06-2023
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
Whatcha cooking for the big game, gb?
Something kinda like this:

[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:35 PM 02-06-2023
Sorry to hear. I’m sure as soon as you start interviewing the talent will be obvious and you’ll land on your feet.
[Reply]
chinaski 08:38 PM 02-06-2023
Sorry to hear, hope everything works out and you land a gig better than the one you had!
[Reply]
farmerchief 09:14 PM 02-06-2023
I’m just glad you’re ok. After reading the title to this thread, I thought some mafia guy put a hit out on you.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 11
« First < 34567 891011 >
Up