ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 329 of 341
« First < 229279319325326327328329 330331332333339 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Off Season Lets Talk Guns, Part 2
HonestChieffan 11:58 AM 01-23-2011
Been a while since we had a guns n' ammo discussion.

Some of you are AR shooters Im sure. Im looking at a Colt 6920. Will be my first AR. Picked up a Glock this fall and really enjoy shooting it. Any feedback on that weapon?

Anyone else been in a buy/sell/trade mood with hardware?
[Reply]
Megatron96 12:34 PM 04-13-2023
Originally Posted by Shiver Me Timbers:
If I can plink at 700 yards with 556 I will be a happy plinker.
Looked it up in my notes; the shot was about 680 yards, constant approx. 10mph breeze from the left (I wrote mostly, so must've been a little swirl out there) no gusts, about 30 feet above me, 4 shots.

If i remember this one correctly, I had to walk the shots in (didn't yet understand turning clicks for elevation) so there was some 'Kentucky windage' involved.

Anyway, 500 yard shots at things like pie plate size shouldn't be that hard with the right ammo and trigger, but that's just my two cents.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 01:34 PM 04-13-2023
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Looked it up in my notes; the shot was about 680 yards, constant approx. 10mph breeze from the left (I wrote mostly, so must've been a little swirl out there) no gusts, about 30 feet above me, 4 shots.

If i remember this one correctly, I had to walk the shots in (didn't yet understand turning clicks for elevation) so there was some 'Kentucky windage' involved.

Anyway, 500 yard shots at things like pie plate size shouldn't be that hard with the right ammo and trigger, but that's just my two cents.
OUTSTANDING!!

[Reply]
Perineum Ripper 03:59 PM 04-13-2023
You are going to want to find the heaviest pills that your rifle likes, those small rounds don’t move steel plates very well. So it’s hard to tell when you get hits.

That being said with my old MK12, I could hit steel to 750, then the rounds just became too hard to duplicate. Man size “elements” out to 650.
[Reply]
Megatron96 04:23 PM 04-13-2023
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
OUTSTANDING!!

Lol, something like that. It was more about the quality of the barrel from Ruger, the trigger from Geissele, and all the work I put into building the right bullet. I just tried not to get in the way more than anything.
[Reply]
srvy 05:37 PM 04-13-2023
I will throw is Savage as a beater-class AR15 that's still a good dependable rifle. In the 600 to 800 range. They can be hard to find as they sell fast when in stock. But so is the Ruger and S&W in this day and age of shortage on everything.

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst...s/brand/savage
[Reply]
srvy 05:40 PM 04-13-2023
Also PSA has great daily deals to keep an eye out. I have 2 of those PSA in 556 and 308 and have no regrets at all.
[Reply]
Megatron96 05:40 PM 04-13-2023
Originally Posted by srvy:
I will throw is Savage as a beater-class AR15 that's still a good dependable rifle. In the 600 to 800 range. They can be hard to find as they sell fast when in stock. But so is the Ruger and S&W in this day and age of shortage on everything.

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst...s/brand/savage
The one Savage AR I shot was real nice. Very accurate even with factory ammo. IF I didn't already have 4 of the things, I was going to buy a Savage.
[Reply]
Shiver Me Timbers 07:52 PM 04-13-2023
Originally Posted by Megatron96:

Wanna come out to Colorado and do some plinking? I could bring a couple of 300 prc's 24" to do some set ups?
[Reply]
srvy 07:59 PM 04-13-2023
I just thought of another that seems always available in Acadamy Sports when I am out and around Century Arms seems like the AR15 is available on display The AK 47 copy is hit or miss if on display but it's a popular rifle the American-made AK's. I have no idea of the quality but they seem ok.
[Reply]
srvy 08:13 PM 04-13-2023
Wanna come out to Colorado and do some plinking? I could bring a couple of 300 prc's 24" to do some set ups?
That's a very interesting round and much easier reload with it being non-belted. In my elk hunting days before my knees went south I'd probably traded my Remington 700 classic in 300 Weatherby mag just to turret load instead of one at a time.
[Reply]
Megatron96 11:11 AM 04-14-2023
Lol, I haven't kept track of 300 PRC ammo, but that sounds expensive.

And probably painful. These days i can comfortably shoot maybe 20 rounds out of my .30-06. Then my shoulder's had enough.

Would be fun though, for a minute. What do you plink at with a 300 PRC?
[Reply]
Bwana 11:20 PM 04-14-2023
I ended up gong this direction after rating the pros and cons and reading a lot of reviews. Ordered it up for the good guy sale price as well.

https://shopdunns.com/product/spring...e-st916556bma/

[Reply]
Bwana 09:24 AM 04-15-2023
Ok, now that I have my beater trail gun, I'm looking at getting a beater trail scope. I'm looking for something that if I have a catastrophic incident, where it falls off the ATV and crashes into a boulder, I won't be sitting around pissed off for a week. I have some very nice scopes on some of my other AR's, but I don't need a $2400 ElcanDR, or anything like that. I also don't want the Walmart $39 super special, that's going to break after I cross my first boulder field with it. My gut instinct is to go with something around the $300 range, or less. Perhaps something like the Burris AR-536? https://www.opticsplanet.com/burris-...dot-sight.html I'm not crazy about this one, because I'm not crazy about the reticle. I think it would obscure to much of the target.

Suggestions on a scope that isn't going to break the bank, yet isn't a complete piece of shrapnel?
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:40 AM 04-15-2023
Originally Posted by Bwana:
Ok, now that I have my beater trail gun, I'm looking at getting a beater trail scope. I'm looking for something that if I have a catastrophic incident, where it falls off the ATV and crashes into a boulder, I won't be sitting around pissed off for a week. I have some very nice scopes on some of my other AR's, but I don't need a $2400 ElcanDR, or anything like that. I also don't want the Walmart $39 super special, that's going to break after I cross my first boulder field with it. My gut instinct is to go with something around the $300 range, or less. Perhaps something like the Burris AR-536? https://www.opticsplanet.com/burris-...dot-sight.html

Suggestions on a scope that isn't going to break the bank, yet isn't a complete piece of shrapnel?
I have a Burris Fullfield II 3-9X40. I think it's 6 years old ish. It's OK. I actually like it a lot. But if you have good ass scopes on your other AR's, you'll probably just be pissed off at it.

Just my opinion, on that kind of usage, I'd go with a red dot and magnifier, like a Romeo and Juliet setup. Maybe you want something a tier better than Sig's bottom level, but that's what I would go with.

I've been wanting to outfit one on an 10.5 or something for the sprayer/tractor, but I have trouble turning loose of the money these days.
[Reply]
Perineum Ripper 11:05 AM 04-15-2023
https://www.primaryarms.com/rifle-sc...fication/1x-6x

Pick one of these out, they aren’t special but will do the job. Pick one with pr pick up a lever for the magnification
[Reply]
Page 329 of 341
« First < 229279319325326327328329 330331332333339 > Last »
Up