ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 315 of 341
« First < 215265305311312313314315 316317318319325 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Off Season Lets Talk Guns, Part 2
HonestChieffan 11:58 AM 01-23-2011
Been a while since we had a guns n' ammo discussion.

Some of you are AR shooters Im sure. Im looking at a Colt 6920. Will be my first AR. Picked up a Glock this fall and really enjoy shooting it. Any feedback on that weapon?

Anyone else been in a buy/sell/trade mood with hardware?
[Reply]
Dunerdr 06:11 AM 08-15-2022
Originally Posted by Reroka:
This,

but then again they are illegal in most of the lower 48.
Jesus Christmas. Isnt it like 5k to get permits.
[Reply]
Reroka 06:40 AM 08-15-2022
Originally Posted by Dunerdr:
Jesus Christmas. Isnt it like 5k to get permits.
If you live in the United States and want to own a fully automatic weapon, it is possible, but there are many restrictions and controls in place. The gun itself cannot be one that was manufactured after May 1986, which places a limit on the number available to buy. This means that once you are licensed, the only weapons you can hope to buy legally are on the resale market. As a result, the prices for the weapons are quite high. In some states, fully automatic weapons are illegal, regardless of whether you are licensed by the federal government. Check with your state authorities before bothering with the federal process..
[Reply]
Dunerdr 07:32 AM 08-15-2022
Originally Posted by Reroka:
If you live in the United States and want to own a fully automatic weapon, it is possible, but there are many restrictions and controls in place. The gun itself cannot be one that was manufactured after May 1986, which places a limit on the number available to buy. This means that once you are licensed, the only weapons you can hope to buy legally are on the resale market. As a result, the prices for the weapons are quite high. In some states, fully automatic weapons are illegal, regardless of whether you are licensed by the federal government. Check with your state authorities before bothering with the federal process..
All i heard was "Tea party time" but im not trying to get political.
[Reply]
LiveSteam 12:24 PM 08-15-2022
Originally Posted by Raiderhader:
So I’m considering a 16 gauge shotgun for bird hunting this year, I really know nothing about that gauge other than what I’ve read today. It is supposedly a good all purpose upland hunting gauge. Anyone here have any experience/advice?
I whacked a lot of quail, pheasant, rabbit and squirrels with two handmedowns in sixteen gauge.
1923 Iver Johnson single shot and a 1938 Remington model 11.

Both were stolen at the same time.
The Rem 11 had a nice poly choke.
[Reply]
Raiderhater 12:42 PM 08-15-2022
Originally Posted by LiveSteam:
I whacked a lot of quail, pheasant, rabbit and squirrels with two handmedowns in sixteen gauge.
1923 Iver Johnson single shot and a 1938 Remington model 11.

Both were stolen at the same time.
The Rem 11 had a nice poly choke.
Well, I went to Cabela’s today and first thing I looked at was to see if there was still shells on the shelf for 16, there wasn’t. I’m at Frontier Justice right now waiting on my back ground check for a 12 gauge CZ Drake. It sucks I don’t get to use my points (though I had been reserving them for something different anyway) but, it’s still a nice O/U for under $700.
[Reply]
srvy 02:12 PM 08-15-2022
Well, I went to Cabela’s today and first thing I looked at was to see if there was still shells on the shelf for 16, there wasn’t. I’m at Frontier Justice right now waiting on my back ground check for a 12 gauge CZ Drake. It sucks I don’t get to use my points (though I had been reserving them for something different anyway) but, it’s still a nice O/U for under $700.
You can buy online. I can't say for sure but I wouldn't rule out Rodgers sporting and fishing in Liberty.
[Reply]
LiveSteam 02:17 PM 08-15-2022
Sixteen is definitely an oddball in today's shotguning world.
But so was 28 gauge for most my life. It's made come back.
So who knows?
As I get closer to my 60s. I find the Youth model Mossberg 500 in 410 more than enough for upland hunting.
I leave the bigger and heavier shotguns for the blinds.
[Reply]
Raiderhater 02:32 PM 08-15-2022
Originally Posted by srvy:
You can buy online. I can't say for sure but I wouldn't rule out Rodgers sporting and fishing in Liberty.
I’ve never bought online simply because I’ve never taken the time to research FFL dealers and their fees. I suppose one of these days I should quit being lazy and get on that.

I did think about Rodgers but, thought I’d start off closer to home before driving all the way up there. It worked out, I found what I was looking for, I just didn’t get to save any money using my Cabela’s points. Meh, oh well.
[Reply]
Raiderhater 02:42 PM 08-15-2022
Sixteen is definitely an oddball in today's shotguning world.
But so was 28 gauge for most my life. It's made come back.
So who knows?
As I get closer to my 60s. I find the Youth model Mossberg 500 in 410 more than enough for upland hunting.
I leave the bigger and heavier shotguns for the blinds.
Like I said, the 16 and 28 shells were about the only thing I was finding on the shelves here for around two years but, now that production on the 12 seems to be in the early phases of catching up, I saw no 16 today (though they certainly had the guns to shoot them in stock) and a handful of 28.

A lighter gun for carrying in the field was one of the reasons I wanted an O/U; my old model 1100 is still a perfectly fine gun but, it does get heavy on those treks through heavy grass and up and down hills. It is also a little too easy to waste a shot or two on stupid shots/desperate shots with that 5 round semi-auto. But, just as important as the first point, I just like the look of an O/U.

What’s the bird forecast for Nebraska this year? Have you you all been as dry as we have down here?
[Reply]
srvy 02:51 PM 08-15-2022
On guns you need an FFL but ammo ships direct to you as long as you are 21.
[Reply]
Raiderhater 02:59 PM 08-15-2022
On guns you need an FFL but ammo ships direct to you as long as you are 21.
My apologies, I thought you were talking about guns.

I have and do buy ammo online but, it is nice to just walk in and pick up what I need to replenish from the last hunt to be ready for the next* instead of waiting on shipping.

*Not that I don’t have more on hand but, I like to keep it at a certain level, especially these days when you never know when it’s going to be hard to find again.
[Reply]
srvy 03:03 PM 08-15-2022
My apologies, I thought you were talking about guns.

I have and do buy ammo online but, it is nice to just walk in and pick up what I need to replenish from the last hunt to be ready for the next* instead of waiting on shipping.

*Not that I don’t have more on hand but, I like to keep it at a certain level, especially these days when you never know when it’s going to be hard to find again.
I am with you on the pick-up as needed locally. I would suggest a shotshell reloading machine but that's a rabbit hole that's not as easy as it once was without onhand stock.
[Reply]
LiveSteam 03:56 PM 08-15-2022
Like I said, the 16 and 28 shells were about the only thing I was finding on the shelves here for around two years but, now that production on the 12 seems to be in the early phases of catching up, I saw no 16 today (though they certainly had the guns to shoot them in stock) and a handful of 28.

A lighter gun for carrying in the field was one of the reasons I wanted an O/U; my old model 1100 is still a perfectly fine gun but, it does get heavy on those treks through heavy grass and up and down hills. It is also a little too easy to waste a shot or two on stupid shots/desperate shots with that 5 round semi-auto. But, just as important as the first point, I just like the look of an O/U.

What’s the bird forecast for Nebraska this year? Have you you all been as dry as we have down here?
Been bad around here for a long time.
Very rarely see quail around anymore. Pheasants are slim to none.
If I go out for Pheasants . I go knocking on farm doors that are within 3miles of a Pheasants Forever club.
The escapees from such clubs, keep the population up around them.

Nebraska removed almost all it plumb thickets along its dirt roads ,probably 20 years ago or so. It really messed up the quail population and pheasant
[Reply]
Raiderhater 04:14 PM 08-15-2022
I am with you on the pick-up as needed locally. I would suggest a shotshell reloading machine but that's a rabbit hole that's not as easy as it once was without onhand stock.
I mentioned earlier about initially saving my points for something different and that something different is reloading. I just don’t really have a place to set it up at the moment and, as you say, availability to actually make any kind of ammo is still tough right now. Seeing as how I didn’t use my points today it’s still an option here at some point.
[Reply]
Raiderhater 04:22 PM 08-15-2022
Been bad around here for a long time.
Very rarely see quail around anymore. Pheasants are slim to none.
If I go out for Pheasants . I go knocking on farm doors that are within 3miles of a Pheasants Forever club.
The escapees from such clubs, keep the population up around them.

Nebraska removed almost all it plumb thickets along its dirt roads ,probably 20 years ago or so. It really messed up the quail population and pheasant
Yeah, habitat, or lack there of, has been a long growing issue down here as well. Throw in the drought this year and it isn’t looking too promising for most of the state. Dad has decided we won’t even go out west for pheasant this year, we’ll stick to the eastern part of the state and try to run down some quail coveys. It’d likely be a waste of time trying to chase down the few that are out there, and irresponsible as well - no sense in further decimating the population and making a come back even harder. The state should really lower the bag limits this year but, I’ll wager they won’t.
[Reply]
Page 315 of 341
« First < 215265305311312313314315 316317318319325 > Last »
Up