ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 16 of 34
« First < 61213141516 1718192026 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>****Official 2020(1) Tokyo Olympics Thread****
Pablo 06:45 PM 07-23-2021
Opening ceremony happening now. Consider this your repository for all things olympics.
[Reply]
Buehler445 04:31 PM 07-27-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Or maybe it's just the fact that the pressure is just too fucking insane.

How do you think a guy like John McEnroe would have handled the internet and 24/7 paparazzi that encompasses athletes these days?

There is an enormous amount of pressure on these people, who just want to play their sport.

Not everyone wants to be "famous".
People that aren’t built for the pressure shouldn’t actively refer to themselves as the goat.

If she has a legitimate mental condition that sucks. And she has my sympathy. Fortunately the rocks rattling around my dome work. The again I’m obviously no world class athlete

But that’s all the more reason to not call yourself the goat and shit. Just do your thing. I honestly haven’t thought about her since 2016, so maybe I’m only picking up part of the message she’s sending.

Bottom line if you’re going to try to publicly embrace greatness, which she’s entitled to do, it reflects poorly if you quit.

Originally Posted by Dante84:
Re: Simone Biles - she's already done it, she has nothing to prove, to anyone. Already a champion and one of the greatest athletes of all time.

Also, she's a person who is in the *same environment* in which she was subjected to *years* of repeated sexual assault and abuse by one of her trainers, who she trusted with her body.

Is it that hard to believe that she might have some trauma or chronic PTSD that could impact her mind in high pressure moments, like, say, the Olympics?

She knows herself, and if she knows she's off her game, probably a smart move to pull herself instead of push it and risk, ya know, paralyzing herself if she fucks up.

She gets a pass from me. She's a badass.
I didn’t know she was raped. Christ. Fuck whatever dickface would do that to a kid.

Originally Posted by Dante84:
The country has a long way to go when it comes to treating mental health issues as actual, physical, medical issues instead of calling it the yips or being a pussy. Seems like athletes are starting to become more comfortable discussing it - which, honestly, good because if you're aware of it you can treat it AND/OR gm's and coaches can sit you or cut you if they deem you a risk in clutch moments - just like a sore hamstring.

I remember in college, one of my fraternity brothers had a suicide attempt over the summer, and one of the other guys was going on and on about how depression isn't a real thing and that its just 'weak character' from 'lack of prayer.'

No, idiot, there are actual, real, physical chemicals in the brain that aren't functioning properly, just like how you get pimples or fat when you're stressed.

Anyways, I'm all done discussing women's gymnastics for the day.
No argument from me. It’s just the whole goat thing just looks really really bad.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:37 PM 07-27-2021
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
No argument from me. It’s just the whole goat thing just looks really really bad.
It's marketing, Dude. She IS the greatest American gymnast of all time.

How do you think it would have been accepted if she completely bailed before the Olympics?

Considering all of the hate and anger in this thread directed her way, I'd say not well.
[Reply]
eDave 04:42 PM 07-27-2021
Yea, but it still looked stupid.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:44 PM 07-27-2021
I didn’t know she was raped. Christ. Fuck whatever dickface would do that to a kid.
Larry Nassar. She was sexually abused by him for years.
[Reply]
Buehler445 04:57 PM 07-27-2021
Fuck that dude with a D9 Cat.

Child rapists are the worst. Ever.

[Reply]
Buehler445 05:01 PM 07-27-2021

How do you think it would have been accepted if she completely bailed before the Olympics?

Considering all of the hate and anger in this thread directed her way, I'd say not well.
I went to business school. I’m familiar with Marketing. There are also concepts of managing the message that goes out to consumers. And there was a different way to do it. I don’t know what agency she had over her hype video but she’s the one big name on the team.

Frankly it would have missed me if she dropped out before the olympics. They wouldn’t have ran the hype video and I’d never have been the wiser.

I’m not throwing around a bunch of hate, especially in light of the Rape stuff, but it’s a bad look.
[Reply]
sedated 05:14 PM 07-27-2021
People that aren’t built for the pressure shouldn’t actively refer to themselves as the goat.
Really, 4 gold medals in the Olympics and about a billion in world championships "can't handle the pressure"?
[Reply]
Mennonite 05:16 PM 07-27-2021
Casey at the Bat should be mandatory reading for anyone interested in sports.
[Reply]
Buehler445 05:31 PM 07-27-2021
Originally Posted by sedated:
Really, 4 gold medals in the Olympics and about a billion in world championships "can't handle the pressure"?
Not my argument. I was just responding to the supposition.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 05:43 PM 07-27-2021
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
I'd be her leashed goat.
Aryan bloodlines at their finest. We need her in the off/on thread immediately.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 05:46 PM 07-27-2021
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
It's almost a gimmick at this point.
It's the new Long John Silvers platter pic.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 05:47 PM 07-27-2021
**** that dude with a D9 Cat.

I think the final number of minor girls that have come forward to say they were molested by Nassar is 200+. Most had it happen for years.
[Reply]
Dante84 05:49 PM 07-27-2021

I didn’t know she was raped. Christ. **** whatever dickface would do that to a kid.

All good points. Agree, the goat thing is/was cheesy, especially more so now. But she legitimately, unquestionably is the greatest, even after today.

As far as the Larry Nassar stuff (Wikipedia Link), yeah, its pretty insane. Not only the fact that he sexually abused and photographed/videotaped 265 girls for decades, but the victims also had to deal with the fallout of their own families and friends not believing them, the other coaches and leadership at USA Gymnastics not believing them and covering it up, and even Michigan State not believing them and covering it up. It was some pretty insane, traumatic stuff.

I think the above is why I was so willing to give her a break on the panic attack or whatever. Not because she's black, like the goober from earlier said.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 05:57 PM 07-27-2021
I’m not throwing around a bunch of hate, especially in light of the Rape stuff, but it’s a bad look.
I get where you're coming from and don't necessarily disagree that it was a bad look, it's just that I don't think that anyone could have predicted that she'd have an anxiety attack at the Olympics.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 06:11 PM 07-27-2021
Fuck that dude with a D9 Cat.

You're one of my favorite people on here, but I don't think you're qualified to judge her if you don't even know who Larry Nassar is and what he did to **hundreds** of girls. And how USA Gymnastics - which she represents - went to great lengths to ignore it and cover it up which only meant more and more abuse.

So, let's just say you have a job where you need to be flawless in everything you do. If you're a split second slow, it could mean serious injury or paralysis. You've been doing this your entire life. You hoped it would be over in 2020 but it was delayed a year. You pushed through it. But you've also felt conflicted representing an organization which exploited you and others for its own gain. But you pressed on believing you could do it, under the world's most powerful microscope, to live up to what everyone thought you should be. For your country.

The girl was molested by a team doctor. As a fucking child. You now know you were one of hundreds of gymnasts who suffered the same fate. And the adults who were supposed to protect you and all of your friends hide in the shadows? But enjoy the accolades and benefit from trappings of your success?

And yet you're supposed to represent them proudly? And just brush it off?

Pretty easy to see how she could reach a breaking point easily. And to blame her for it and act like it minimizes her accomplishments? Her going out there again to try to continue to prove herself as the greatest ever in her sport is so many million miles beyond what any of us are able to comprehend.

And for those comparing her to Mahomes? Saying there's no precedent? Completely ridiculous. Mahomes will never, ever need to be as perfect in every motion as Simon Biles is to avoid catastrophic injury. He might get into a terrible mental space and the worst thing that happens to him is a 1 TD/4 INT game. Mike Trout might go 0-20. Jordan once went 2/22. Tiger might, be, well, what he became when he hit his breaking point.

Good for Simon Biles for being honest about it and not half-assing things. Being honest about mental health is probably a lot more inspiring to people who need it than anything else she could've done in these games.
[Reply]
Page 16 of 34
« First < 61213141516 1718192026 > Last »
Up