ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 10
« First < 23456 78910 >
The Lounge>"Holy No Prenup, Batman!" Jeff and MacKenzie Bezos file for 137billion dollar divorce
JakeF 02:19 PM 01-09-2019
Biggest divorce settlement in history if there isn't a prenup, there doesn't appear to be. :-)

THE NEW YORK POST

Jeff Bezos and wife MacKenzie announce divorce — unclear if the couple has a prenuptial agreement

By 0 and Lia Eustachewich
Published: Jan 9, 2019 11:49 a.m. ET
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/je...ent-2019-01-09
The Amazon founder and his wife are divorcing after 25 years of marriage.

Amazon AMZN, +0.47% CEO Jeff Bezos and his wife, MacKenzie, are divorcing after 25 years of marriage, the couple announced Wednesday.

“We want to make people aware of a development in our lives,” tweeted Bezos, the world’s richest person. “As our family and close friends know, after a long period of loving exploration and trial separate, we have decided to divorce and continue our shared lives as friends.”

He continued: “We feel incredibly lucky to have found each other and deeply grateful for every one of the years we have been married to each other. If we had known we would separate after 25 years, we would do it all again.”

The 54-year-old sits at the top of Forbes world’s billionaires ranking, with a real-time worth of $137.4 billion.

It’s unclear if the couple has a prenuptial agreement.

They reside in Washington state, which is a “community property state” — meaning divorcing couples without a prenup split assets 50-50, TMZ reported.


The Bezos own five homes in Medina, Washington, Beverly Hills, Van Horn, Texas, DC and Manhattan — making Jeff the 25th biggest landowner in the nation, Business Insider said.

The couple met in New York at hedge fund D.E. Shaw when Jeff, the company’s vice president, interviewed MacKenzie for a job, according to Business Insider.

MacKenzie, a Princeton graduate, landed the gig as a research associate and the two office neighbors fell in love — fast.

MacKenzie, who was 23 at the time and made the first move by asking Jeff out to lunch, was smitten.

“My office was next door to his, and all day long I listened to that fabulous laugh,” she recalled in a 2013 interview with Vogue. “How could you not fall in love with that laugh?”

Within three months, they were engaged and, three months later in 1993, they were hitched.

Jeff also gushed about his longtime love.

“I think my wife is resourceful, smart, brainy, and hot, but I had the good fortune of having seen her résumé before I met her, so I knew exactly what her SATs were,” he told Vogue.

In 1994, the newlyweds quit their Wall Street jobs and moved cross country to Seattle, where Jeff launched Amazon. He hired MacKenzie as an accountant — as one of the online bookstore’s first employees.

“To me, watching your spouse, somebody that you love, have an adventure — what is better than that?” MacKenzie told CBS.

The couple went on to have four children.

MacKenzie, 48, is an award-winning novelist who penned the “The Testing of Luther Albright” in 2005 and “Traps” eight years later.

At Princeton, where Jeff also attended, she studied under legendary author Toni Morrison, who told Vogue that she was “one of the best students” she ever had.

Last year, Jeff and MacKenzie launched the homeless charity Day One Fund together.

In his statement on Wednesday, he hinted that he and his soon-to-be ex-wife would continue working together.

“We’ve had such a great life together as a married couple, and we also see wonderful futures ahead, as parents, friends, partners in ventures and projects, and as individuals pursuing ventures and adventures,” Jeff wrote. “Though the labels might be different, we remain a family, and we remain cherished friends.”
[Reply]
BIG_DADDY 02:55 PM 01-10-2019
Originally Posted by BWillie:
No but I've had a girlfriend of 10 years. She pesters me all the time. I do not live with her even. Once I pay off my current house I'm going to pool all my assets in a trust and hire an attorney to ensure it cannot be touched as I'll probably be forced to do it one of these days.
Just say no.
[Reply]
EyePod 02:57 PM 01-10-2019
Originally Posted by JakeF:
Unless she had direct input in the Amazon business there is no way she should get 70 billion dollars. Complete bullshit.
Have you ever run a household as a family? Shit is hard. And this is assuming she was a SAHM. This is how marriage works. 100% fair.
[Reply]
EyePod 03:03 PM 01-10-2019
Originally Posted by JakeF:
This isn't the 1950's when women didn't work and were at the financial mercy of the man in her life. I'm fully on board with the man taking care of the kids and a wife that didn't work so she could take care of the household. That doesn't equal 70 billion dollars. Unless she has direct input on the concept or the development of Amazon then give her 1 billion and send her on her way.

A billion dollars is enough for any person to live like a King/Queen for the rest of their life.
:-) There is no way that Amazon happens if she wasn't there supporting him. Being able to let go of home and focus on growing Amazon happened because of that support.

I'm just blown away that anyone can be this jaded.
[Reply]
BIG_DADDY 03:04 PM 01-10-2019
Originally Posted by EyePod:
Have you ever run a household as a family? Shit is hard. And this is assuming she was a SAHM. This is how marriage works. 100% fair.
The fact that there are people/attorneys that feel this way is why marriage is dying. I am a happily married man but should it not work out for any reason there is zero chance I would ever do it again. My wife knows that and my son knows that. Well, unless McKenzie wants to do it without a prenup. :-)
[Reply]
EyePod 03:05 PM 01-10-2019
Originally Posted by AssEaterChief:
Yep, you'd have to be pretty dumb to do it these days
Are you guys all 12 year olds or something? I'm floored by this place.
[Reply]
BIG_DADDY 03:06 PM 01-10-2019
Originally Posted by EyePod:
:-) There is no way that Amazon happens if she wasn't there supporting him. .
WTF? This place never ceases to amaze.
[Reply]
EyePod 03:07 PM 01-10-2019
Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY:
The fact that there are people/attorneys that feel this way is why marriage is dying. I am a happily married man but should it not work out for any reason there is zero chance I would ever do it again. My wife knows that and my son knows that. Well, unless McKenzie wants to do it without a prenup. :-)
That's interesting. I always wonder if marriage is truly dying or if an entire generation that was forced by their parents to rush into marriage is dying.

None of my core group of friends have gotten divorced (I think pair has a shot at it), but other than that - we all waited ~2-5 years while we dated/got engaged/ got married, and I'm the only one with kids.

I don't know if I'd ever marry again, but I have no reason why I'd want a divorce now.
[Reply]
Donger 03:09 PM 01-10-2019
Originally Posted by EyePod:
I don't know if I'd ever marry again, but I have no reason why I'd want a divorce now.
Perhaps not, but your wife might one day.
[Reply]
Graystoke 03:11 PM 01-10-2019
Originally Posted by AssEaterChief:
Yep, you'd have to be pretty dumb to do it these days
I disagree.
All 5 of my marriages have been terrific
[Reply]
MahiMike 03:12 PM 01-10-2019
There goes her prime status.
[Reply]
EyePod 03:12 PM 01-10-2019
Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY:
WTF? This place never ceases to amaze.
Just to be clear - I mean that he couldn't grow his family while growing Amazon without his wife's support. Additionally, we have no idea what emotional help she gave throughout the time Bezos was driving a toyota to work.

Either way - for anyone to assume one way or the other that she doesn't deserve the half seems crazy to me. It's a marriage, with no pre-nup, so it's right down the middle (assuming no alimony or anything like that).
[Reply]
EyePod 03:14 PM 01-10-2019
Originally Posted by Donger:
Perhaps not, but your wife might one day.
I'm sure I'm looking through rose-colored glasses considering my parents and my in-laws aren't divorced (and my in-laws probably should have), but looking at the issues other people have in their relationships - they just don't exist in ours. I like to think it's due to our honesty and openness and making sure we're joint on big decisions and finances.
[Reply]
EyePod 03:17 PM 01-10-2019
Originally Posted by Amnorix:
So business owner has wife, has several sons with her. Gets divorced. Marries wife #2. Has one child, a daughter, with wife #2. Daughter never works in the biz.

Boys join the biz and help it grow ALOT. Idiot dad/owner doesn't do anything with stock except own 100% of it himself. He gets old, semi-retires, still owns 100% while the boys take over the show.

Wife decides she wants divorce. Now, they were married for a LONG time, but the daughter is an adult, and the wife is now like 80. She doesn't need much to survive for the rest of her life comfortably. Unfortunately, due to a total lack of planning and forethought by the father (and his sons) the wife is now entitled to own 50% of the company.

Ignoring the actual biz owner and his wife (let's face it, they're well off regardless of this whole process) -- the real upshot of this is that 50% of the value of the biz at the time of the divorce gets transferred -- really -- to the daughter, with the remaining 50% being split among the boys. Now the boys get the own the biz and can continue to grow it and earn from it, but that's a real ****ing over for them, especially since they are now PAYING the daughter for 50% of the growth that they massively contributed to creating.

Plan ahead kids. Use lawyers. Be smart.

Or you know, watch your kids sit on a spiked dildo because you're either too dumb or because you want to continue to exert power/control long after you should've given it to your kids.
I hate this shit - and I see it as a problem with the previous generation not willing to actually admit there's a problem that needs to be addressed in the first place. I'm sure there was the attitude of "we don't need that, we're all family!" but fuck that - it needs to be all laid out even if it's only to make sure everyone is on the same page about what is going to happen.
[Reply]
Donger 03:17 PM 01-10-2019
Originally Posted by EyePod:
I'm sure I'm looking through rose-colored glasses considering my parents and my in-laws aren't divorced (and my in-laws probably should have), but looking at the issues other people have in their relationships - they just don't exist in ours. I like to think it's due to our honesty and openness and making sure we're joint on big decisions and finances.
How old is your wife?
[Reply]
BIG_DADDY 03:17 PM 01-10-2019
Originally Posted by EyePod:
I'm sure I'm looking through rose-colored glasses considering my parents and my in-laws aren't divorced (and my in-laws probably should have), but looking at the issues other people have in their relationships - they just don't exist in ours. I like to think it's due to our honesty and openness and making sure we're joint on big decisions and finances.
Marriage should be a mandated contract in general. Never happen because how would the attorneys ever get paid?

This is all nice and fluffy and I am sure you give great marriage advice but the bottom line is divorce happens all the time and it should be crystal clear what both parties expectations are should it fail.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 10
« First < 23456 78910 >
Up