ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 6
< 1234 56 >
Washington DC and The Holy Land>American Psychological Association: 1st-ever guidelines for practice with men & boys
Just Passin' By 02:28 PM 01-08-2019
Originally Posted by :
...APAís new Guidelines for Psychological Practice With Boys and Men strive to recognize and address these problems in boys and men while remaining sensitive to the fieldís androcentric past. Thirteen years in the making, they draw on more than 40 years of research showing that traditional masculinity is psychologically harmful and that socializing boys to suppress their emotions causes damage that echoes both inwardly and outwardly....
https://www.apa.org/monitor/2019/01/...source=twitter
[Reply]
Mr. Kotter 07:25 PM 01-08-2019
This thread took an interesting direction...self-sacrifice and stoicism are things that can be useful in a variety of social circumstances. By themselves, and without intention...you become a doormat. Summoning them consciously is a culmination of experience and wisdom--and healthy men and women know when to invoke them. Without intention it is a primal impulse; consciously, it is an enlightened maturity.

An article that professes with a broad stroke, that 'traditional masculinity is psychologically harmful,' is bigoted and bereft of any real usefulness--as much and as ridiculous as stating that 'traditional feminism is psychologically harmful.' In a nutshell that is the problem of Psychology--it's a soft science of that too often attempts to put human behavior into nice little boxes, based on anecdotal evidence and qualitative research that frequently are inadequate to arrive at meaningful conclusions. The result is, Psych is becoming more and more....a laughable "science" with good intentions for one-size-fits-all generalized assessments and solutions to complex challenges and problems. Too often it fails miserably. This is one of those times.

Neanderthals are blind and reckless in their adherence to masculine stereotypes without regard to circumstances. However, seeking to emasculate society and make it feminine is even more misguided and primal. One is reckless, the other is devious. The article and Psychology in general seem to be more about promoting agendas than helping people. Speaking of anecdotes, in life I have made a practice of ignoring women who have a chip on their shoulder and are probably insecure lesbians merely seeking social affirmation. On the other hand, maturity and wisdom have gotten me much better results in life (and a lot more action) than unapologetic and brutish Rambo behavior. Take that for what it's worth...
[Reply]
Bugeater 07:30 PM 01-08-2019
I'm comfortable enough with my masculinity to admit I like Drops of Jupiter by Train.
[Reply]
Fishpicker 07:35 PM 01-08-2019

[Reply]
GloryDayz 09:26 PM 01-08-2019
Originally Posted by HonestChieffan:
Sort of a different perspective....

My son was casting a spincast rod at 4 and we did a father son Bass tourney at 5. Cool as shit

We did our first Canada trip at 9 and went every year till he was a sophomore at MU

He holds 4 master angler Northern Awards from Manitoba

He killed his first Turkey at 13....Big gobbler dropped his ass at 23 yards

Graduated HS Valedictorian

Married his HS sweetheart...both MU grads

Law school at UMKC

mowed yard, did chores, had summer jobs....

Fuck liberals and their child rearing bullshit.

Now he is a dad and said to his mom he wants to be a dad like dad.

Thats what its all about.
:-):-):-):-):-):-)

Very impressive...

We should never apologize for how we're raising our kids.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 09:27 PM 01-08-2019
Originally Posted by Randallflagg:
Congratulations! You raised a fine man............Now if the rest of America could figure out that formula...
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
[Reply]
Sorry 09:31 PM 01-08-2019
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By:
Hiding, controlling, and suppressing emotion is a requirement for a functional society.
Iím not speaking to the obvious of having your wits about you and having logical response to whatever may be occurring . Iím speaking to the fathers who are too afraid to express their love for their child other than some grunts and not knowing how to communicate. Humans are emotional beings and overly suppressing ones feelings is just as detrimental to wearing your feelings on toe sleeves.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 09:39 PM 01-08-2019
Originally Posted by Sorry:
Humans are emotional beings and overly suppressing ones feelings is just as detrimental to wearing your feelings on toe sleeves.
Well, when you make your word choice "overly", you kind of frame the issue in a biased manner from the start. So, I'll simply note that I find your position laughable, while suppressing actual laughter.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 10:45 PM 01-08-2019
Nothing worse than a teary-eyed whining baby for a man. On the other hand feeling grief or shedding a tear over crashing your Porsche is understandable.
[Reply]
Katipan 11:04 PM 01-08-2019
Originally Posted by BucEyedPea:
Nothing worse than a teary-eyed whining baby for a man. On the other hand feeling grief or shedding a tear over crashing your Porsche is understandable.
Only if his dog dies.
Real men have more than 1 Porsche.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 11:05 PM 01-08-2019
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Just means more women for the real men.
Until the emotional traits of being a "real man" wind up being categorized in the DSM-VII.
[Reply]
kjwood75nro 07:05 PM 01-09-2019
I've noticed that men seem to have no trouble communicating or being open with other men, and the other men don't seem to mind either way.

It's typically the guys with annoying, boring, self-centered, and/or overly verbose women that have "communication issues" that magically go away when it's just the guys.
[Reply]
Nirvana58 07:28 PM 01-09-2019
Originally Posted by Katipan:
Only if his dog dies.
Real men have more than 1 Porsche.
Every man gets a pass to cry when his dog dies and real men drive a truck.
[Reply]
BDj23 07:35 PM 01-09-2019
I don't wanna sound like a queer or nothing, but I think depeche mode is a sweet band.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 07:41 PM 01-09-2019
Originally Posted by kjwood75nro:
I've noticed that men seem to have no trouble communicating or being open with other men, and the other men don't seem to mind either way.

It's typically the guys with annoying, boring, self-centered, and/or overly verbose women that have "communication issues" that magically go away when it's just the guys.
  1. Men and women are different genetically.
  2. Men and women are different structurally.
  3. Men and women are different hormonally.

So, it's not surprising that men and women think differently and process emotions differently. And, while it's amusing to see a bunch of clowns trying to make all differences into some male defect, it's something that could be dangerous if implemented.
[Reply]
listopencil 07:41 AM 01-10-2019
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
I'm comfortable enough with my masculinity to admit I like Drops of Jupiter by Train.

It's a song from a son about his mom who died of Cancer. Nothing unmasculine about that song. And I think it's a beautiful song, well done.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 6
< 1234 56 >
Up