ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 5
< 12345
Media Center>Gaming Laptop on a Budget
Dartgod 09:00 PM 11-12-2021
I'm looking to pick up a new gaming laptop but can't spend a ton of cash. I'm looking to keep it under $1500.

I'm not particularly interested in playing the latest and greatest games. I tend to play older games that I can get for a bargain on Steam. For instance, I am currently playing through Borderlands 2. So it doesn't have to be state of the art.

Give me your recommendations.
[Reply]
Dayze 07:50 AM 11-19-2021
would a gaming laptop run stuff like american truck simulator / other driving games on a good monitor? I'm sure they probably will more than fine; been a while since I've even looked at laptops (yearrrrrs)

I'm assuming there's a way to run pedals, wheel, etc and any other plug in type stuff with a hub? (not sure what they would be called); meaning, the laptop itself wouldn't need to have a tone of ports to plug in those items etc?
[Reply]
notorious 08:21 AM 11-19-2021
Be careful with it Dart.

The laptop itself was great, and powerful as hell. The weak link just killed it for me.

If that plug ever starts feeling hot replace it before it begins to fall apart and cause internal problems.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 08:53 AM 11-19-2021
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
I'm also curious what everyone's opinion is on Intel vs. AMD processors and Nvidia vs. Radeon GPU's.
I'm far more impressed with AMD/Radeon these days than Intel/Nvidia.

Radeon is moving to make all their GPU's standard 16gig GDDR5. And AMD's Ryzen CPU is tits. I have a Ryzen 3600... And it is amazing for the price.
[Reply]
jd1020 08:58 AM 11-19-2021
The plug will get hot normally. It's only if it gets so damn hot that you cant touch it there's a problem, but that problem could be multiple things not related to the design of the port as the circular design has had similar issues reported. The last time I had a laptop was for college and it was HP with the circular design port and it eventually became so finicky that it would only charge in a certain position that would sort of force the male plug to one side of the female port, otherwise it wouldnt charge at all and would be so loose it would eventually fall out.

In any case, I believe that there is also a USB-C on the back of those Legion 5's that will charge with a 45-65W brick while the computer is in standby or a 65-100W brick when on. So if it ever becomes a problem, there is a backup option.
[Reply]
Pants 12:31 PM 11-20-2021
Originally Posted by Dayze:
would a gaming laptop run stuff like american truck simulator / other driving games on a good monitor? I'm sure they probably will more than fine; been a while since I've even looked at laptops (yearrrrrs)

I'm assuming there's a way to run pedals, wheel, etc and any other plug in type stuff with a hub? (not sure what they would be called); meaning, the laptop itself wouldn't need to have a tone of ports to plug in those items etc?
That laptop would make the truck simulators purr on max setting at butter smooth high framerates on whatever monitor you want to get. :-)

As far as the parts go, I am sure they all just use standard USB so you would be fine.
[Reply]
mnchiefsguy 01:36 AM 11-25-2021
Thniking about this one...although initially I was looking for a Ryzen one.

Thoughts?

https://www.newegg.com/core-black-ms...NgYMKLo4tj720Q
[Reply]
jd1020 07:07 AM 11-26-2021
Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy:
Thniking about this one...although initially I was looking for a Ryzen one.

Thoughts?

https://www.newegg.com/core-black-ms...NgYMKLo4tj720Q
Has good components but the 3080 is the 8GB 130W version so I wonder exactly how much performance you gain over saving $300-$400 and getting a similarly specced 3070, if any at 1080p.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 07:34 AM 11-26-2021
Ask Midnight Vulture. He'll hook you up.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 05:48 PM 12-18-2021
Not a "budget" laptop, but I paid just over $2100 for this beast:

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/lapto...enovo.com%252F

Processor
AMD Ryzen™ 9 5900HX Processor (3.30 GHz, up to 4.60 GHz Max Boost, 8 Cores, 16 Threads, 16 MB Cache)

Operating System
Windows 11 Home 64

Graphics
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX™ 3080 16GB

Memory
32 GB DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 16 GB)

Storage
1 TB PCIe SSD

Display
16.0" WQXGA (2560 x 1600) IPS, anti-glare with Dolby Vision™, HDR 400, 500 nits, 165Hz

Camera
720p HD

Keyboard
Backlit - RGB - US English

WLAN
802.11AX (2 x 2) & Bluetooth® 5.1

Coupon and how to use it here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/LaptopDeals...00hx_rtx_3080/
[Reply]
Braincase 08:47 PM 12-18-2021
I've got probably 4 or 5 laptops running at this point. Old Dell Precision is OK, 32 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD. 5 years old or more. Can easily run the older more stable games.

Work laptop is a Surface Book 2. Nice for playing simple games on the road, Catan Universe through Galactic Civilizations III. Hangs a little on No Man's Sky.

New laptop... Alienware M13 R6. Video = RTX 3080, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD. Outside your budget, but DAMN, this bad boy smokes, and it has a decent keyboard.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 5
< 12345
Up