Page 108 of 929
« First < 85898104105106107108 109110111112118158208608 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
DaKCMan AP 08:16 PM 01-19-2018
Originally Posted by RunKC:
I have a 401k and a Roth IRA. My employer uses Fidelity so I might look into those.
Company matches 6%, but as of about 6 months ago I moved it up to 8 to add more personally.

I have a Roth IRA with the standard company set up, that netted me 9% growth last year. I think I should have talked to a financial advisor 5 or so years ago and should have been putting more than 6% in for the last 7 years.

Ideally I would like to build compound interest and start it now. Just not sure which fund, ETF, etc would be best.
If you're under 40yrs old and only gained 9% last year you need to get into a more aggressive allocation. You should have earned >17% last year.
[Reply]
KCUnited 09:29 AM 01-25-2018
Ballast Point to open the first onsite brewery in Disney Anaheim for you STZ holders. Seems like a lucrative move on their part.
[Reply]
kepp 04:18 PM 01-25-2018
Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP:
If you're under 40yrs old and only gained 9% last year you need to get into a more aggressive allocation. You should have earned >17% last year.
I had my 401k in the "aggressive" setting where they have the funds picked out already and it was only getting around 9%. I did about a day of research and took over with my own choices and ended the year over 19%. Lesson learned.
[Reply]
Cornstock 10:33 PM 01-26-2018
Question for the CP collective genious. I couldn't find any info on this online on a quick look.

If I have Siemens stock held at a German brokerage, how can I transfer this to a US broker. The stock was issued in Germany and is held there. Does it need to be converted to an ADR to be held? What does this process look like?
[Reply]
Cornstock 10:52 PM 01-26-2018
I have a 401k and a Roth IRA. My employer uses Fidelity so I might look into those.
Company matches 6%, but as of about 6 months ago I moved it up to 8 to add more personally.

I have a Roth IRA with the standard company set up, that netted me 9% growth last year. I think I should have talked to a financial advisor 5 or so years ago and should have been putting more than 6% in for the last 7 years.

Ideally I would like to build compound interest and start it now. Just not sure which fund, ETF, etc would be best.
To compliment Lew's advice, I'm a big fan of Vanguard, their expense ratios are microscopic on their etfs, and offer free trades and dividend reinvesting.

Right now, S&P indexed etfs are hot, so you should look at those. They're all equity, so they won't be consistent with a 60/40 equity/bond portfolio recommendation that you might get from an advisor. But don't hang up on that.

All the S&P indexed etfs have a slightly different strategy. Some are geared towards growth, large cap, value, dividends, etc.

I'm a big fan of VYM for a dividend producer. It has good growth, with the recession-buster resistance quality of dividend reinvesting.

There is a lot of theory behind that strategy, but in short, it matches the growth of the index fairly well with dividends to make up for the shortfall. In the event of a recession you are better able to lower your dollar-cost average than a straight index, providing for greater growth during the recovery.

Round out the portfolio using a standard index fund like VOO, with maybe a growth oriented fund like VOOG or VUG.
[Reply]
RunKC 10:36 AM 01-28-2018
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Without getting into debt management, here's how to best structure your retirement/savings planning IMO.

1) Put in an much as your need to get the maximum employer contribution match (free money) to your 401k. 2) Create an emergency fund with approximately 3-6 months of expenses. 3) Any left over money from your paycheck should be used to max out your Roth IRA. 4) After the above 3 have been met, consider a brokerage account for individual investing to continue to build your nest egg but remain rather liquid. Consider ETFs and low cost index funds if you don't have the time to research individual companies.
I wish I could max out my Roth IRA, but that’s $458 a month. Technically $916 a month counting my fiance. That’s...not exactly possible. Yeesh
[Reply]
O.city 12:15 PM 01-28-2018
Well guys, could use a little help or advice here.

The wife and I are doing well, bought some land getting ready to build a home. I max out an ira for both of us each year. But I’m not sure if I should be doing more or putting as much as I can towards my student loans. I started with 300k at about 7 % 4 years ago and I’ve taken down 50k or so of it total but the interest is killer. I’m getting ready to join the national guard as a dentist and get some help there with the loans so I think that plus what I pay, I can get the student loans done in about 3.5 years.

So, question is would you max out and get out from under those first or try and put more into a brokerage account?
[Reply]
DaFace 12:59 PM 01-28-2018
Originally Posted by O.city:

The wife and I are doing well, bought some land getting ready to build a home. I max out an ira for both of us each year. But I’m not sure if I should be doing more or putting as much as I can towards my student loans. I started with 300k at about 7 % 4 years ago and I’ve taken down 50k or so of it total but the interest is killer. I’m getting ready to join the national guard as a dentist and get some help there with the loans so I think that plus what I pay, I can get the student loans done in about 3.5 years.

So, question is would you max out and get out from under those first or try and put more into a brokerage account?
To clarify, you've got $250k in loans left at 7%? If so, I'd hammer away at those before you worry much about anything else. That's like a guaranteed 7% rate of return, which might not be matching the stock market this year, but in a typical year is pretty solid. Though you can never predict the stock market, it seems unlikely that this bull run can continue for long without the actual GDP increase to support it.

(And on a side note, I'm sure I'll envy you someday when those loans are gone, but yeesh...$300k in student loans is ridiculous. I had about $20k, and I thought that was a pain in the ass to get through. Good luck, man.)
[Reply]
DaFace 01:03 PM 01-28-2018
I wish I could max out my Roth IRA, but that’s $458 a month. Technically $916 a month counting my fiance. That’s...not exactly possible. Yeesh
Most of personal finance is about constantly taking steps in the right direction. Consult the chart linked in the OP, and do your best, but don't stress TOO much if some of those steps seem a long way off.
[Reply]
O.city 01:12 PM 01-28-2018
Originally Posted by DaFace:
To clarify, you've got $250k in loans left at 7%? If so, I'd hammer away at those before you worry much about anything else. That's like a guaranteed 7% rate of return, which might not be matching the stock market this year, but in a typical year is pretty solid. Though you can never predict the stock market, it seems unlikely that this bull run can continue for long without the actual GDP increase to support it.

(And on a side note, I'm sure I'll envy you someday when those loans are gone, but yeesh...$300k in student loans is ridiculous. I had about $20k, and I thought that was a pain in the ass to get through. Good luck, man.)
Yeah, my class graduated with an average of 300k at 7 percent.

I set mine up on a 20 year repay to make sure I could always make the Mo they payment, which is still about 2900 bucks.
I’ve been throwing as much as I can at it, but you’ve also gotta pay a mortgage and health insurance and apparently, kids need to eat. :-)

As I said though, the Missouri national guard is looking for dentist and if I sign up for a 6 year term, they’ll a lot 40k per year for up to 240k max for loan repayment. So doing 1 weekend per month and 2 weeks per year just doing some dentistry for them, paired with what I’m currently Paul g, I can be done with it in 3 years, 4 max. I’ll atill have 2 years of duty left but I can turn that over into a 50k 2 year bonus and throw that into a retirement plan plus I get paid for my service time there which as an officer would end up being about 13 grand per year.

But yeah I just wanna get these damn loans over with
[Reply]
Buehler445 02:02 PM 01-28-2018

The pure economic answer is if your IRA return > 7%, leave it in your IRA.

However, you have to account for cash flow, and if the payments tough to make, it makes sense to back off your Roth some.
[Reply]
O.city 02:40 PM 01-28-2018
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
The pure economic answer is if your IRA return > 7%, leave it in your IRA.

However, you have to account for cash flow, and if the payments tough to make, it makes sense to back off your Roth some.
I can make the payment I’m just curious if I should not put into retirement until I get the loan payed off
[Reply]
Unsmooth-Moment 02:57 PM 01-28-2018
2900 a month? Good god.

I make pretty good money and my wife doesn’t work, but mortgage, car payment and 2 kids would make that unbearable. My mortgage and car payment are 2100 a month. I could get a crappy lake house in there for the cost of those student loans. That bubble has to burst at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
O.city 03:05 PM 01-28-2018
Originally Posted by Unsmooth-Moment:
2900 a month? Good god.

I make pretty good money and my wife doesn’t work, but mortgage, car payment and 2 kids would make that unbearable. My mortgage and car payment are 2100 a month. I could get a crappy lake house in there for the cost of those student loans. That bubble has to burst at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It’s not fun. I love what I do but if I had to do it over again, I’m not sure it’s worth it. It’s crazy.

Luckily for us the wife does pretty well but it’s still notcool
[Reply]
ghak99 03:08 PM 01-28-2018
It’s not fun. I love what I do but if I had to do it over again, I’m not sure it’s worth it. It’s crazy.

Luckily for us the wife does pretty well but it’s still notcool
Is the 7% fixed?

If so, I'd invest and let the guards thing get rolling. If not, I'd be trying to knock a chunk of it off in case of an increase.

I wanted to know how you talked yourself into accepting that debt. Wasn't dentistry, but I bowed out and settled for bach because I wasn't willing to accept the huge debt load of continuing eduction and then the cost of buying into an established practice on top of it. Over a decade later and I still don't know if I made the right decision. :-)
[Reply]
Page 108 of 929
« First < 85898104105106107108 109110111112118158208608 > Last »
Up