ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 73 of 3903
« First < 23636970717273 74757677831231735731073 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
wazu 02:57 PM 03-08-2020
Actually found this:

"The authors of the smaller study also found that 30 (81%) of 37 patients requiring mechanical ventilation had died by 28 days."

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-persp...-23-death-rate

Obviously a very small sample size, but it's some data. Was suspecting that not having a ventilator probably doesn't make much difference if you are so sick that you actually need to go on a ventilator.
[Reply]
TLO 03:06 PM 03-08-2020
Originally Posted by wazu:
Actually found this:

"The authors of the smaller study also found that 30 (81%) of 37 patients requiring mechanical ventilation had died by 28 days."

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-persp...-23-death-rate

Obviously a very small sample size, but it's some data. Was suspecting that not having a ventilator probably doesn't make much difference if you are so sick that you actually need to go on a ventilator.
Seems logical
[Reply]
RINGLEADER 03:07 PM 03-08-2020
Been saying this since January -- if C19 is as easy to pass around as it seems and if you can pass it along while being asymptomatic and if you can be asymptomatic for up to two weeks before and four weeks after you are symptomatic then it is next to impossible to contain at this point.

As far as what the medical system can support in terms of sick people we will reach a breaking point fairly quickly (a few months) unless it burns out because of summer or some change occurs that makes it less likely to cause hospitalization.

This is all just math at this point. If it exponentially expands as it has in other countries then it's hard times ahead. If it can be curbed like China claims they've done or if summer slows it then the spread will be curtailed. I doubt China is having the level of success they claim since there is little that can be done to stop community spread (but for some reason they've miraculously stopped it) but maybe taking draconian measures can work. Unfortunately, pulling people out of homes and sticking them into boxes to be shipped to quarantine centers isn't likely to happen here.

I do think the virus stands a great chance of being slowed when summer arrives and since it is really breaking out so late in what would typically be a flu season then we may dodge the bullet above. SARS/MERS was resilient to this seasonal change so the similarities may unfortunately not follow the typical flu, but if it does then we'll hopefully get another six months of runway to get closer to a vaccine. Until then, expect life to change in some reasonable ways while we try to cope with the stress this puts on the health care system, commerce, and life in general.
[Reply]
RINGLEADER 03:12 PM 03-08-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
I'm gonna guess we get all our ventilators from China and they aren't shipping us any new ones right now.
Everything from meds to masks (and the underlying components in both) come mainly from China. I know it's hard to rationalize good out of this but all things considered, while extremely bad, this could have been something closer to SARS which would have been history-changing. Hopefully there will be some fundamental changes related to the outsourcing of such things as a result of this -- and maybe, just maybe, we'll be in better position to handle the next pandemic which could very well be much, much worse than what this one may end up being.
[Reply]
BIG_DADDY 04:01 PM 03-08-2020
Originally Posted by SupDock:
What do you mean we lost safer vaccines?
The vaccine court removed liability from the pharmaceutical industry eliminating the motivation to continue to develop safer and more efficient methods for creating antibodies.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 04:18 PM 03-08-2020
I'm gonna guess we get all our ventilators from China and they aren't shipping us any new ones right now.
we have thousands of ventilators in reserve. The issue is you won’t have the Respiratory Therapists to run them and the hospital beds available. I wrote about this earlier in the thread. Maybe you can get people like me to volunteer for the good of the community that could run the ventilators but my licsense expired a long time ago.
[Reply]
Donger 04:48 PM 03-08-2020
FDA Commissioner Dr. Stephen Hahn said Saturday that 1,583 patients have been tested by the CDC but that the government doesn't know how many patients received tests from the 2,361 specimens collected by state and local labs.

Each day the number of tests is rising, and the numbers are soon expected to dramatically jump, he said.

Federal officials say 2.1 million tests will be shipped out by Monday, with a further goal of 4 million tests to be shipped by the end of next week.
[Reply]
stumppy 05:15 PM 03-08-2020
There are scumbags and then there are real scumbags.

https://deadline.com/2020/03/televan...us-1202876625/

Televangelist Jim Bakker Ordered By Attorney General To Stop Selling Fake Cure For Coronavirus

Whatever televangelist Jim Bakker is selling, the New York Attorney General ain’t buying.
Lisa Landau, Chief of the Health Care Bureau, gave The Jim Bakker Show 10 days to comply with a cease-and-desist letter that tells him to stop touting an alleged cure for the coronavirus. The letter was sent Thursday to Bakker’s office and cited a Feb. 12 episode of his show that claimed a Silver Solution sold on his website would be a preventative against the coronavirus...……………..
[Reply]
TribalElder 05:57 PM 03-08-2020
have we cured this piece of shit sickness yet
[Reply]
BigRedChief 06:09 PM 03-08-2020
Originally Posted by TribalElder:
have we cured this piece of shit sickness yet
medical professionals say 12-18 months for a best case scenerio for a vaccine.

The President says just a couple of months or soon. So there’s that.
[Reply]
SupDock 06:15 PM 03-08-2020
Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY:
The vaccine court removed liability from the pharmaceutical industry eliminating the motivation to continue to develop safer and more efficient methods for creating antibodies.
This implies that vaccines don't undergo improvements. This just isn't true.

If every person who felt damaged by a vaccine could sue the manufacturer, my thought is that no one would develop vaccines in today's climate.
[Reply]
suzzer99 06:31 PM 03-08-2020

[Reply]
TLO 06:37 PM 03-08-2020
:-)
[Reply]
Baby Lee 06:45 PM 03-08-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
medical professionals say 12-18 months for a best case scenerio for a vaccine.

The President says just a couple of months or soon. So there’s that.
scenario, . . .

so there's that.
[Reply]
TLO 06:46 PM 03-08-2020
What's going on with the therapeutic trials of medications? I thought we might have some more information by now.

I want to know how Remdesivir is doing in particular. Anyone know how any of these trials are going?
[Reply]
Page 73 of 3903
« First < 23636970717273 74757677831231735731073 > Last »
Up