ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 11
« First < 34567 891011 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Dodgers fire Ohtanis long time interpreter, accused of 'massive theft'
Sassy Squatch 04:54 PM 03-20-2024

The Los Angeles Dodgers fire Ippei Mizuhara, Shohei Ohtani's long-time interpreter.
Mizuhara was accused by Ohtani's attorneys of engaging in a “massive theft” of Ohtani's funds to place bets with an illegal bookmaker, according to the LA Times.

— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) March 20, 2024

[Reply]
bdj23 10:31 AM 03-22-2024
I saw Pete Rose at Caesars Palace one time.

/adds nothing of importance to this thread
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:34 AM 03-22-2024
Originally Posted by bdj23:
I saw Pete Rose at Caesars Palace one time.

/adds nothing of importance to this thread
Yeah, I saw him somewhere in Vegas once. Don't recall where.

The guy looked like shattered ass. That dude has lived hard.
[Reply]
bdj23 10:35 AM 03-22-2024
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Ohtani doesn't speak english but he knows what CRAPS is.
Asains and gambling go together like Pete Rose and gambling.
[Reply]
bdj23 10:37 AM 03-22-2024
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:

I was wearing my Albert Pujols jersey and i almost asked him to sign it. I was pretty drunk though.
[Reply]
Rukdafaidas 11:09 AM 03-22-2024

I played baseball against Pete Rose Jr. in high school. We didn't think he was very good, but he did make it to the pros. I thought we had a couple of guys on our team that were better than him.
[Reply]
Ocotillo 11:27 AM 03-22-2024
I disagree with the notion that Pete Rose held on too long to rack up meaningless statistics.

Rose at age 44 put up a .395 OBP in 1985. That's the year he surpassed Ty Cobb for the all-time hits lead.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:43 AM 03-22-2024
And scored a whole 60 runs because he was dog-ass slow and couldn't get himself into scoring position via XBHs or steals.

And was again a bad defensive 1b in the process, at a position where you can easily find run production.

To say nothing of the fact that over the previous 5 seasons and 3,000 plate appearances he was a below replacement level player.

Anybody not writing his own lineups (or not named Pete Rose) would've been canned WELL before then.
[Reply]
dlphg9 11:46 AM 03-22-2024
Pete Rose wouldn't be shit in this era. He wouldn't be able to handle the velocity of today's pitchers.
[Reply]
Ocotillo 12:38 AM 03-23-2024
And scored a whole 60 runs because he was dog-ass slow and couldn't get himself into scoring position via XBHs or steals.

And was again a bad defensive 1b in the process, at a position where you can easily find run production.

To say nothing of the fact that over the previous 5 seasons and 3,000 plate appearances he was a below replacement level player.

Anybody not writing his own lineups (or not named Pete Rose) would've been canned WELL before then.
He still finished fourth in the National League in OBP and he's freaking 44-years-old. That's amazing.

You mention all the physical limitations of Rose, no surprise there. There's a reason why not many 44-year-old position players have been in MLB dating back to 1900 to begin with. Father time is undefeated. But he's at the top of the list or near the top of all-time seasons by a 44-year-old position player because of that .395 OBP.

Even with those age-related flaws you mentioned, I can't say Rose was a detriment. I can find a spot for him on a 25-man roster in 1981-85. He's one of the smartest ballplayers ever to step between the lines. I think he's an asset to a ballclub with his baseball intel.

That's saddest part about Rose's lifetime suspension, which was justly deserved, was it deprived baseball of having such a brilliant baseball mind in the dugout and in a teaching capacity.
[Reply]
KobesPilot 01:29 AM 03-23-2024
people still watch baseball?
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 09:03 AM 03-23-2024
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Pete Rose wouldn't be shit in this era. He wouldn't be able to handle the velocity of today's pitchers.
:-)... I'm not a Pete rose fan, but you have to be trolling...
[Reply]
teedubya 11:25 AM 03-23-2024
aHH sowee No SPEAK ENGRISH... "psst PUT $2.5m on 49ers money line vs Chiefs."
[Reply]
Marcellus 12:55 PM 03-23-2024

:-) I had the same impression. It was also in Vegas.
[Reply]
jdubya 01:06 PM 03-23-2024
Buddy of mine in the 1980`s was on one of the college World Series teams and they were told Pete Rose was coming for a meet and greet. Everybody was very excited to meet him in person. When the time came, a limo drove up, rear window went down about 4 inches and a hand was waving, limo never even stopped
[Reply]
Pablo 04:48 PM 03-23-2024
Originally Posted by KobesPilot:
people still watch baseball?
There are actually cities out there where it's still their primary sport. My god could you imagine living like that?
[Reply]
Page 7 of 11
« First < 34567 891011 >
Up