staylor26 11:51 AM 07-14-2020
I don’t think it’s even debatable at this point
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 04:01 PM 09-28-2021
DK was also coming off neck surgery.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 04:28 PM 09-28-2021
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Pretty sure I read that the Chiefs have the most cap space of any team in the NFL committed to the DL. And it's getting wrecked. I feel like you're hand-waiving that fact a fair amount.

And to say "well he hasn't found a WR2..." when he's had 4 years to do so and inherited the baddest mother****er on the planet as his WR1, not to mention an all-world QB and probably the the best pass-catching TE of all time....I mean, that's a little more damning than you're letting on as well.
Well, to be fair, veach was charged with winning us a super bowl while mahomes was on a rookie contract. Part of that charge was flipping Suttons defense overnight. our defense played a very big part in making back to back super bowls. In the process we overspent on guys like Clark, Hitchens and okafor. I'm fine with that. And Sammy Watkins was worth it because he was huge in our super bowl run. Turning that defense to a 4-3 overnight is one hell of an accomplishment.

Those guys look like poor investments today. Sure they hold us back a little today. We could have had more money and first rounders to plug in. But they were worth it. So we went all in on a super bowl including soaking our cap and losing best picks. Mission accomplished. Yet, we still have a great team and a few pieces away from being dominant. And we have a way bigger window to stay good than most predicted. Id say veach has done a very good job, even if a lot of this doesn't look sexy today.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 04:47 PM 09-28-2021
Wait, why are we not counting Watkins as WR2 for the three years he was here? He was injury prone and overpaid but the guy played some damn good football in both the 2018 and 2019 playoffs.
[Reply]
RunKC 05:11 PM 09-28-2021
Veach’s worst pick was absolutely Speaks. There were no redeeming qualities about him.

Hardman had speed and was a dangerous weapon at times in college. Clyde was too.

Speaks just had nothing. He was a pudgy, lazy bitch who acted tough but it was all a show. That was all tunnel vision and the definition of a “need pick”
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 05:15 PM 09-28-2021
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Veach’s worst pick was absolutely Speaks. There were no redeeming qualities about him.

Hardman had speed and was a dangerous weapon at times in college. Clyde was too.

Speaks just had nothing. He was a pudgy, lazy bitch who acted tough but it was all a show. That was all tunnel vision and the definition of a “need pick”
:-) Still can't fathom why you draft that guy to be a 3-4 OLB.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 05:41 PM 09-28-2021
Originally Posted by RunKC:

No one who was picked after and near Speaks became a star. Weak draft.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 05:43 PM 09-28-2021
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
No one who was picked after and near Speaks became a star. Weak draft.
Wouldn't go that far. Quite a few DBs and WRs that are at least solid contributors.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 05:54 PM 09-28-2021
That first draft was horrible by Veach.

In his favor is the drafts seem to have improved since then.
[Reply]
KC Hawks 06:04 PM 09-28-2021
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Wouldn't go that far. Quite a few DBs and WRs that are at least solid contributors.
Jessie Bates would've been good. He was taken with the pick we traded up from. The big miss was Fred Warner, who I'm sure Reid loves since he went to BYU.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 06:22 PM 09-28-2021
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
:-) Still can't fathom why you draft that guy to be a 3-4 OLB.
This might be an excuse, but i still wonder if veach tried to find guys who can play either 3-4 or 4-3. Knowing he didn't plan to keep Sutton for very long or maybe was pressuring him into a scheme change. Or maybe that was Suttons grand plan. Speaks, Hitchens and odaniel kind of fit that mold.
[Reply]
tredadda 08:26 PM 09-28-2021
For me the thing with Clark is that he was good when we traded for him and he was instrumental in us getting to and winning the SB. I don't think anyone could have predicted he would fall off the map this quickly, but even then Veach was able to do his contract in a way that we could get out of it after this year with minimal cap impact. He planned for Clark to be a superstar and also it appears like he planned for this very scenario.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 08:34 PM 09-28-2021
Originally Posted by tredadda:
For me the thing with Clark is that he was good when we traded for him and he was instrumental in us getting to and winning the SB. I don't think anyone could have predicted he would fall off the map this quickly, but even then Veach was able to do his contract in a way that we could get out of it after this year with minimal cap impact. He planned for Clark to be a superstar and also it appears like he planned for this very scenario.
I've told this story before. But I met Veach shortly after the draft in 2019 during OTAs. He was gushing about Clark. Pulled out his phone to show me reps and said no one could block him. I actually asked him why he didn't stick to the draft and probed about a particular DL prospect who is now excelling and he told me the guy wasn't on his board because of medicals.

That Frank Clark was just a different player. Who knows whether it's physical, mental, or simple motivation. But Veach was giddy about the guy and he did bring the swag to help us win that SB. No way we're stopping Derrick Henry without the attitude Clark showed in that post-game interview.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 08:49 PM 09-28-2021
I truly think that Clark's body is just done, and more than likely when you go to two straight Super Bowls you don't quite have the fire in your belly when your body is fighting you as you try to gear up to get to a third.
[Reply]
tredadda 09:07 PM 09-28-2021
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
I've told this story before. But I met Veach shortly after the draft in 2019 during OTAs. He was gushing about Clark. Pulled out his phone to show me reps and said no one could block him. I actually asked him why he didn't stick to the draft and probed about a particular DL prospect who is now excelling and he told me the guy wasn't on his board because of medicals.

That Frank Clark was just a different player. Who knows whether it's physical, mental, or simple motivation. But Veach was giddy about the guy and he did bring the swag to help us win that SB. No way we're stopping Derrick Henry without the attitude Clark showed in that post-game interview.
Exactly. I know two pass rushers that used to play for KC that are better at getting after the QB than Clark, Ford and Houston. Do we need to rewatch the 2018 playoffs to see how much they mattered in them (outside of Ford's stupid offsides)? When we needed Clark the most he came up big. Now not saying we keep him, but in his biggest moments in 2019 he shined. I wouldn't trade that for anything as flags fly forever. Now if he can't justify his salary anymore then KC needs to move on from him. Thankfully Veach has an out built into his contract that minimizes the damage his hit will do to our cap.
[Reply]
New World Order 09:10 PM 09-28-2021
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
I truly think that Clark's body is just done, and more than likely when you go to two straight Super Bowls you don't quite have the fire in your belly when your body is fighting you as you try to gear up to get to a third.
Having 50 million in the bank doesn’t help
[Reply]
Page 14 of 112
« First < 41011121314 151617182464 > Last »
Up