ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 9 of 9
« First < 56789
In Memoriam>RIP rockymtnchief
Bwana 08:25 AM 11-08-2021
I was going to wait on this a few days, but under the circumstances, I decided to post this up now. Wes, AKA Hondo passed away late Saturday night. He was like a brother and this one hits pretty hard.
I had a nice talk with his sister yesterday about everything. He was one tough guy and he hung in there for several months longer than the doctor's claimed was possible.

We shared a lot of shooting, beer's ATV rides, and a love of the Chiefs over the years. He was the kind of guy that if he liked you, he would give you the shirt off his back. (In this case literally, I learned he left me all his Chiefs gear) Hondo was the kind of guy to put everyone else first.

I'll have to double check the area for snow level. I'd like to take one last wheeling trip up Bridger Creek this year, dodge the grizzly's that are out trying to get their last meal and stash a bottle of Pendleton at a place on top of the mountain where we used to stop and just BS. I will hoist a shot to the heavens, say a few words and toast him, every time I head up there.

I'll post more stories along with some pictures in the the thread as it moves along.

RIP my brother, you were one of a kind and you will be deeply missed.
[Reply]
Otter 11:31 PM 11-09-2021
Originally Posted by Bwana:
The Cooter Hill story:

So I had always heard stories about this guy, Hondo used to rodeo with back in the day, a black guy by the name of Cooter Hill.

On my birthday a couple of years ago, a buddy of mine drove down to Billings from Great Falls to hang out and go to dinner on my birthday. We end up jumping an Uber to a local western streak house/bar. We are sitting at the bar BSing with the bar tender, drinking beverages, when this guy walks in. Really friendly guy all smiles and about everyone in there seemed to know him. About that time, his cell phone rings and his ring tone is the "Where the white women at" from Blazing Saddles. Everyone was cracking up.

Shortly after that, I heard someone call him Cooter. I walked over and asked him if he knew a Hondo. He gets an ear to ear grin and says "He's a good buddy of mine, we used to bull ride together." Cooter came over and sat with my buddy and I and starts telling some Hondo stories from back in the day.

Hondo was supposed to come down and join us, but he ended up being on call and couldn't make it.

I decided to give Hondo a call and was giving him crap about some of the stories I just learned about. Hondo explains that one night in their rodeo days, they were trying to check into a hotel and the only room left in town was a single bed unit. With that being it was the only choice, they had to take it. I guess at least it was a king bed. Hondo says, "Cooter is the first guy I slept with, ask him". I lean over and said "hey Cooter, Hondo claims you are the first black guy he slept with, any truth to that?" Cooter about fell out of his chair, he was laughing so hard.

I handed the phone to Cooter so he could say hi to Hondo and after about 30 seconds, he starts cracking up again and handed me back the phone. I asked Cooter what Hondo said and he said Hondo told him, "Greg doesn't like black guys." You had to know Hondo's sense of humor. We all had a good laugh over that little deal and sat around killing off many cold beverages the rest of the night.
That is a great story.

For all the daredevil stuff I've done and do in life bull riding is not on my list. I'd sooner drop a cinder block on gas pedal of a running car while in the passenger seat and see where things go.

Balls of steel.
[Reply]
BIG_DADDY 09:36 AM 11-10-2021
Sorry for your loss Greg. I loved hearing your background with him. Thanks so much for sharing.
[Reply]
Iowanian 11:24 AM 11-10-2021
Sorry to hear this news Bwana.

He always seemed like a "real one" in my interactions with him and I enjoyed the posts he made here. My condolences to his family and to you as his friend.
[Reply]
spanky 52 04:22 PM 11-10-2021
I'm sorry for your loss.
[Reply]
bevischief 01:21 AM 11-12-2021
At one of the last Bash's at Nozers, my brother and I got to spend few hours with him. Had a great time. Not the crystal plunger Bash.
[Reply]
bevischief 07:54 AM 11-12-2021
It getting to be so long ago. That might have been be where did the 3 generations photo.
[Reply]
bevischief 07:56 AM 11-12-2021
Now my nephew is working on number 2.
[Reply]
booger 07:10 AM 11-13-2021
Originally Posted by Otter:
That is a great story.

For all the daredevil stuff I've done and do in life bull riding is not on my list. I'd sooner drop a cinder block on gas pedal of a running car while in the passenger seat and see where things go.

Balls of steel.
I agree, that story cracks my ass up ::-):
[Reply]
kccrow 01:16 PM 11-13-2021
RIP. Sorry for your loss Bwana, and thanks for sharing the great stories.
[Reply]
Bwana 12:16 PM 12-01-2021
Thought you guys might enjoy the obit.

https://www.stenbergfuneralhome.com/...#/obituaryInfo
[Reply]
stevieray 05:09 PM 12-02-2021
Originally Posted by Bwana:
Thought you guys might enjoy the obit.

https://www.stenbergfuneralhome.com/...#/obituaryInfo
thanks for sharing!

The wifey and I are going out on the 4th to celebrate 29.

I'll raise a glass or three.

:-)
[Reply]
Page 9 of 9
« First < 56789
Up