ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 17 of 29
« First < 71314151617 1819202127 > Last »
Media Center>So....Dune 2020. Cool?
Amnorix 03:03 PM 08-19-2019
I learned today for the first time that a remake of the awesome book (and decidedly less awesome early 80s movie) Dune is being made, and is currently in post-production with a release date of December 18, 2020.

The cast includes many I don't know, but the ones I do know seem excellent for their roles. It's damn near a Marvel reunion...

Jason Mamoa as Duncan Idaho (the swordmaster of House Atreides)

Josh Brolin as Gurney Halleck (weaponsmaster of House Atreides, played memorably (and surprisingly) by Patrick Stewart in the original movie

Stellan Skarsgard as Baron Harkonnen

Dave Bautista (better known as Drax the Destroyer) as "Beast" Rabban, the nephew of Harkonnen

The most critical guy -- the one playing Paul is unknown to me. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3154303/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t3

This film is also only going to cover the first half of the book, which is good. It's really not possible to cover the whole thing in one 2 or 3 hour movie.

Anyway -- I love the book and a really good film would be great. What say you about all this news? Or am I just the last to known (as would be typical, to be honest!)
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 08:02 AM 10-24-2021
Hey gang. So my out-of-country trip got cancelled last minute. Shitty as that was, I was able to watch Dune on Thursday night (home) and again last night (theater). So... small consolation.

Anyway, my thoughts are still pretty jumbled.

Loves
The cinematography was excellent

Oscar Isaak was a fantastic Duke Leto

Chalamet portrayed Paul excellently, IMO.

Rebecca Ferguson was steely and captivating as Lady Jessica. I like this portrayal of her.

MOTHERFUCKING STELLAN SKAARSGAARD is one of my favorite actors, period. And he is fan-fucking-tastic as Baron Harkonnen.

I thought I really crushed it as Duncan Idaho. Ginaz Forever!

Zendaya as Chani. Much less cloying and wimpy than previous portrayals of her.

The fight with Jamis. I liked that we got to see Paul's prescience through the visions and also that we got to see that he was having visions of what could be as well as what would be. Cool stuff.

Just OKs
I have to wait 2-3 years for the conclusion

Josh Brolin is too pretty to be Gurney Halleck. WHERE IS THE INKVINE SCAR? WHERE IS THE BALISET?

Bautista as Beast Rabban. OK. Bautista is kind of one-note and it was hard to separate him from the character in this one. Felt like I was watching Drax the Destroyer in Dune.
[Reply]
stumppy 10:25 AM 10-24-2021
One relevant thing I took from this movie is duncan idaho is not some dude living in Idaho.
[Reply]
Frazod 10:59 AM 10-24-2021
Definitely agree about Brolin. Much like Patrick Stewart before him, Brolin is neither lumpy nor ugly. Pretty sure there was a scar on his cheek, though.

In my mind's eye I always pictured Ernest Borgnine as Halleck. Just like I always pictured Orson Welles as the Baron. Personally I didn't care all that much for Skaarsgaard's performance, although I didn't hate it and it was certainly better than the assclown in Lynch's movie. And it really annoyed me that he killed Yueh and not Piter.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 04:27 PM 10-24-2021
Originally Posted by stumppy:
One relevant thing I took from this movie is duncan idaho is not some dude living in Idaho.
(whispers)

My name isn't Duncan, either.
[Reply]
Bowser 04:33 PM 10-24-2021
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
(whispers)

My name isn't Duncan, either.

via GIPHY

[Reply]
KC_Connection 05:02 PM 10-24-2021
I’ve never read the Dune books, but I feel like a prequel HBO series starring Jason Momoa as Duncan Idaho would be pretty well received.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 05:32 PM 10-24-2021
Originally Posted by Bowser:

via GIPHY

Harry Potter GIFfrom Harry Potter GIFs

[Reply]
Molitoth 07:08 PM 10-24-2021
I enjoyed the movie but I thought the Audio of the movie was terrible... much like Nolan's "Tenet".
Too many whispers and too loud of backing music.

There are only a few movies where my soundbar just can't support the audio mix, and this was one.

Anyway, that is just me being picky.
[Reply]
Beethoven 08:23 PM 10-24-2021
This movie was boring as shit.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 10:35 PM 10-24-2021
I have no familiarity with this story at all and probably predictably it was pretty confusing, especially all the different visions and serious groups with hard to understand names. And why can’t movies make it to where I don’t have to constantly adjust volume just to hear a conversation?
[Reply]
Dallas Chief 11:09 AM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
I have no familiarity with this story at all and probably predictably it was pretty confusing, especially all the different visions and serious groups with hard to understand names. And why can’t movies make it to where I don’t have to constantly adjust volume just to hear a conversation?
I felt this way about the LOTR trilogy. All the names and whispering and secret names for weapons and jewelry and places and beings. Just too much to track in multiple multi hour movies for me. I know this is blasphemous to some. Sorry.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 11:18 AM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by Dallas Chief:
I felt this way about the LOTR trilogy. All the names and whispering and secret names for weapons and jewelry and places and beings. Just too much to track in multiple multi hour movies for me. I know this is blasphemous to some. Sorry.
You don't need to track that stuff, though.
[Reply]
BWillie 01:16 PM 10-25-2021
Why are the Harkonnens such assholes
[Reply]
Graystoke 02:52 PM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Why are the Harkonnens such assholes
Harkonnens are evil to make the noble Atreides family seem that extra bit more dignified and pure.
[Reply]
Frazod 05:00 PM 10-25-2021
For anybody who is confused by something they saw in the movie, I have a suggestion.

READ THE BOOK.

Dune is widely regarded as one of the best science novels ever written. If you like science fiction and haven't read it, you're doing yourself a disservice.
[Reply]
Page 17 of 29
« First < 71314151617 1819202127 > Last »
Up