ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 191 of 192
« First < 91141181187188189190191 192 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs Trade for OT Orlando Brown
Dante84 01:00 PM 04-23-2021
developing.

The #Ravens are trading LT Orlando Brown to the #Chiefs, per me and @MikeGarafolo. A new blindside protector for Patrick Mahomes.

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) April 23, 2021

Kansas City is trading its first-round pick Thursday night, along with three other picks in the 2021 and 2022 drafts, to the Baltimore Ravens in exchange for Pro Bowl OT Orlando Brown and one pick in the 2021 draft and another in 2022, per sources.

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) April 23, 2021

Full details: #Chiefs get:
Orland Brown, 2021 2nd and a 2022 6th rounder
Ravens get: 2021 1st, 3rd, 4th and 20221 5th

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) April 23, 2021

[Reply]
The Franchise 11:07 AM 02-16-2022
Originally Posted by BWillie:
That is the goal, but if he wants to much, he wants to much. Be ready to walk away if needed from a long term contract and tag his fucking ass.
The only way that they aren't signing him to a long term deal is if he comes in wanting $24-25 million a season. He's going to get over $20 million....you guys might as well accept it.
[Reply]
chiefforlife 11:11 AM 02-16-2022
The good news here is LT is solved. Enjoy it and talk about other holes.

Orlando IS our LT. He may get franchised or he may sign a multi year deal but he is our LT.

Hes young, he knows what is expected of him in this offense, he will do whatever is necessary to improve his pass blocking. I would expect to see him play at a lighter weight next year.

He played RT first and made the Probowl. He moved to LT and made the Probowl. He switched teams and schemes at LT and made the Probowl.

Who in the fuck are you going to get thats better than that?

Put LT to bed, its solved.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:13 AM 02-16-2022
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
The only way that they aren't signing him to a long term deal is if he comes in wanting $24-25 million a season. He's going to get over $20 million....you guys might as well accept it.
I'm sticking with my prediction of 5 years, $112M. That's going to make some people really irate I imagine.
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:14 AM 02-16-2022
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I'm sticking with my prediction of 5 years, $112M. That's going to make some people really irate I imagine.
Sounds about right.

I figured he'd be anywhere between $21 and $23 million a season. I had him at 5 years, $115 million.
[Reply]
Iconic 11:24 AM 02-16-2022
Originally Posted by O.city:
25 year old LT's like him don't grow on trees. Sign him and move on.
this. /thread
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:25 AM 02-16-2022
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Agreed.

They at least have the leverage this year of the franchise tag and that's a controllable cost. That gives them negotiating power as they go to the table for the extension.

His fair market value is probably $22-23 million a year. Having a cost controlled year at $16-17M helps in those negotiations, too.
Exactly.

It knocks about a million bucks off the total AAV vs. FMV (which is why I don't think Williams, who could not be franchised, is a viable starting point).

And again, don't underestimate the appeal of having someone write you a big !@#$ing check for $30+ million as soon as you put pen to paper. That signing bonus NOW vs. waiting another year and getting game checks that won't start for another 6 months is a pretty big deal. Especially for a 3rd rounder who's not made real bank to this point in his career.

He can, the moment he says yes, permanently alter his life and the lives of his childrens children. The very next day he could buy just about any home he could possibly want anywhere in the KC area.

That's a big deal. Its also why cheap owners rarely get guys like this - to do things like sign Brown, restructure Mahomes, keep Ward, add to the DL and maybe even extend Hill, Clark's gonna have to sign $100+ million in checks by the end of April. It's no shit money even for a rich guy.

But Clark's just been such an amazing owner, man. He'll do it if it needs to get done.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:29 AM 02-16-2022
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
When was the last time we used the tag on anyone other than Dee Ford )who said he wanted it, and then we traded him anyway)? Players hate the tag. The Chiefs go way out of their way to keep happy players. I just can't see them tagging Hill.

Brown - yeah maybe. He's been with the team one year. They could have been upfront about that possibility when they traded for him.

But when people talk about tagging vets like Hill or Mathieu - I just can't see that ever happening.
It depends.

If Hill comes insisting on $27 million/season (Hopkins AAV) but for 5 seasons (Cooper's length), it makes exactly zero sense to give him that. You also can't just let him go into the market.

This is his age 27 season. We have him 1 more for age 28. The tag exists EXACTLY for scenarios like this where you can ensure he's a Chief for ages 29 and 30, but not bend to unreasonable contract demands that may take him through his age 32/33 season at exorbitant dollar figures due to obscene contract demands.

Hill's a tough guy to read sometimes. By all accounts he loves it here but he also knows full well he left money on the table during the last contract discussions and he may be looking to get some of that back. It could be difficult. It's just hard to know for sure.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:33 AM 02-16-2022
Originally Posted by chiefforlife:
The good news here is LT is solved. Enjoy it and talk about other holes.

Orlando IS our LT. He may get franchised or he may sign a multi year deal but he is our LT.

Hes young, he knows what is expected of him in this offense, he will do whatever is necessary to improve his pass blocking. I would expect to see him play at a lighter weight next year.

He played RT first and made the Probowl. He moved to LT and made the Probowl. He switched teams and schemes at LT and made the Probowl.

Who in the fuck are you going to get thats better than that?

Put LT to bed, its solved.
And again - he improved as the season went on.

The more I watch him, the more convinced I am that he can be a near carbon copy of Jason Peters long-term. And Peters just had a damn nice year at 39 years old. This cat could be the solution for a decade. Hell, for the remainder of Pat's career (or damn near all of it) he could have the same LT if we just don't fuck around here.

Get the deal done. There's just no reason to screw around with it. He's a young guy who's been extremely durable and has show improvement both as a player writ large and as a player in this system. There's really no reason to spin the wheel and take your chances.

The trade worked out. It worked out damn well. Everything Veach could've asked for in this deal came to fruition. Some people just have to learn to take their W.

Get the contract done, take your W and move onto the next issue. Because there shouldn't be one here.
[Reply]
suzzer99 11:34 AM 02-16-2022

Report: The Chicago Bears are expected to have interest in Chiefs OT Orlando Brown in free agency. #DaBears

— NFL Rumors (@nflrums) February 16, 2022

[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 11:34 AM 02-16-2022
Bit unrelated but that's also why this talk of the Bengals just fixing their OL as if it's just something guaranteed to happen is pretty fucking silly. Their owner is a notoriously cheap piece of shit. Wouldn't surprise me if he's content to ride this last round of success.

Not the biggest fan of this strategy we have of consistently restructuring guys to push the money back into later year but good on Clark for being willing to open the coffers and do it regardless.
[Reply]
ModSocks 11:36 AM 02-16-2022
:-)
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 11:37 AM 02-16-2022
Good for them, man.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:45 AM 02-16-2022
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Bit unrelated but that's also why this talk of the Bengals just fixing their OL as if it's just something guaranteed to happen is pretty fucking silly. Their owner is a notoriously cheap piece of shit. Wouldn't surprise me if he's content to ride this last round of success.

Not the biggest fan of this strategy we have of consistently restructuring guys to push the money back into later year but good on Clark for being willing to open the coffers and do it regardless.
I'm not either.

But as I've gone around and around on it I've realized two things:

1) Push and push and push and push and you're still only 1 really painful year away from getting it all out of the system. The Saints are going to do exactly that this offseason.

2) Travis Kelce and Tyreek Hill 2.0 aren't walking through that door. In 3 years all of this is moot. We realistically have a 2-3 year window remaining with this incarnation of the Chiefs. When that's done, Jones, Kelce and Hill are all guys who aren't gonna be cornerstones of a contender. And knowing that, we need to seize on this window while it's open.

This isn't a team that's greatness is built on guys who are semi-replaceable. This is a setup that happens about once a decade with a franchise QB and 2 HoF pass catchers who's skills all complement each other.

We're not replicating that when Hill and Kelce age out of their primes. So just keep motor in the red for as long as you can.
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:51 AM 02-16-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I'm not either.

But as I've gone around and around on it I've realized two things:

1) Push and push and push and push and you're still only 1 really painful year away from getting it all out of the system. The Saints are going to do exactly that this offseason.

2) Travis Kelce and Tyreek Hill 2.0 aren't walking through that door. In 3 years all of this is moot. We realistically have a 2-3 year window remaining with this incarnation of the Chiefs. When that's done, Jones, Kelce and Hill are all guys who aren't gonna be cornerstones of a contender. And knowing that, we need to seize on this window while it's open.

This isn't a team that's greatness is built on guys who are semi-replaceable. This is a setup that happens about once a decade with a franchise QB and 2 HoF pass catchers who's skills all complement each other.

We're not replicating that when Hill and Kelce age out of their primes. So just keep motor in the red for as long as you can.
The funny thing is…is that when that one down year comes where you have to reset….Mahomes probably still has this team at .500.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:09 PM 02-16-2022
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
The funny thing is…is that when that one down year comes where you have to reset….Mahomes probably still has this team at .500.
Especially if your painful year just means 'Mahomes, his offensive line, and lots of prayer...'

Because the obvious risk of a re-set year is an OL that gets Mahomes injured in some way that impacts him going forward.

But yeah, for one season you can plow resources into retaining your OL, let everything else fall to hell and then get things back centered to start another 5-6 year run of pushing your chips in.
[Reply]
Page 191 of 192
« First < 91141181187188189190191 192 >
Up