ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 138 of 192
« First < 3888128134135136137138 139140141142148188 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs Trade for OT Orlando Brown
Dante84 01:00 PM 04-23-2021
developing.

The #Ravens are trading LT Orlando Brown to the #Chiefs, per me and @MikeGarafolo. A new blindside protector for Patrick Mahomes.

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) April 23, 2021

Kansas City is trading its first-round pick Thursday night, along with three other picks in the 2021 and 2022 drafts, to the Baltimore Ravens in exchange for Pro Bowl OT Orlando Brown and one pick in the 2021 draft and another in 2022, per sources.

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) April 23, 2021

Full details: #Chiefs get:
Orland Brown, 2021 2nd and a 2022 6th rounder
Ravens get: 2021 1st, 3rd, 4th and 20221 5th

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) April 23, 2021

[Reply]
JPH83 02:32 AM 10-05-2021
Honestly seeing something different to a lot of you on Brown. Perhaps some of the snaps I think he's being straight beaten others are seeing as washing DEs out, and they may be right, I'll have to watch again and more carefully. But in real-time he seems to be beaten quite a lot.

I do think he's being put on an island a lot more and is less well utilised in the run game at this point than at Baltimore, but as a pass protecting tackle I'm not hugely convinced. I don't think he's going to be anything but average at that, perhaps that's enough but not convinced it's worthy of a huge contract.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 06:26 AM 10-05-2021
Originally Posted by JPH83:
Honestly seeing something different to a lot of you on Brown. Perhaps some of the snaps I think he's being straight beaten others are seeing as washing DEs out, and they may be right, I'll have to watch again and more carefully. But in real-time he seems to be beaten quite a lot.

I do think he's being put on an island a lot more and is less well utilised in the run game at this point than at Baltimore, but as a pass protecting tackle I'm not hugely convinced. I don't think he's going to be anything but average at that, perhaps that's enough but not convinced it's worthy of a huge contract.
I think he just wins in ways Chiefs fans arent used to seeing, and is actually better than he appears in real time.
[Reply]
tredadda 07:04 AM 10-05-2021
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
Exactly. He still gets beat a few times each game, but that's simply going to happen. He's been very good overall.
When evaluating Brown overall, part of the evaluation needs to be be based off of who KC could have gotten to play LT. They tried to get Williams and struck out. They could have drafted someone, but who could they have drafted that's currently better than him? They could have kept Fisher and played a MASH unit there until Fisher came back, but would he be better than Brown?
[Reply]
TomBarndtsTwin 07:16 AM 10-05-2021
I wasn’t against the Chiefs getting Brown. They wanted Williams and went after him hard and came up short (which honestly, will probably end up being a blessing in disguise) and pivoted to Brown, which was probably the next best option, especially considering the trade compensation (overall, minimal).

But I have not been impressed so far. He gets beat on and island, has trouble with speed rushers, just doesn’t look comfortable. Now, he is VERY good at run blocking, but not sure that’s exactly what this team needs going forward.

I’m fine with him this year. He’s on a rookie contract, he’s likely better than what we would have ended up with had we gone a different route. That said, based on what I’ve watched so far this season, he does NOT look anything like one of the best LT’s in the NFL. And that is what he is going to want to be paid as after this season is up. I would not give him 20+ mil. per year based on what I’ve seen so far.

Obviously, others feel different.

Our cap situation is going to be a bit perilous next year and the Chiefs are gonna have to be really smart about how they spend their money for the next couple years.

Maybe OBJ balls out the rest of the season or gets significantly better as a pass blocker as the season goes along. I certainly hope so and he proves me wrong.

But time will tell . . . . . .
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 07:16 AM 10-05-2021
Originally Posted by Dunerdr:
I think he just wins in ways Chiefs fans arent used to seeing, and is actually better than he appears in real time.

I think this is it, more than anything.

A win (or non-loss) where he shoves the edge rusher wide and deep around the pocket doesn’t look as smooth or dominant as a set where he slide kicks and walls a guy off.

I’ll take the trade-off, though, for having much less threat of a bull rush into Mahomes’ lap.
[Reply]
Zap Rowsdower 07:29 AM 10-05-2021
Fisher isn't doing great with the Colts so at least Brown is an upgrade over if we would have kept Fisher.
[Reply]
jd1020 07:55 AM 10-05-2021
Originally Posted by Zap Rowsdower:
Fisher isn't doing great with the Colts so at least Brown is an upgrade over if we would have kept Fisher.
One would hope he would be an upgrade. You don't give up a first round pick for a guy and expect him not to be better than the mediocre guy who tore his achilles that he replaced.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 07:58 AM 10-05-2021
Originally Posted by jd1020:
One would hope he would be an upgrade. You don't give up a first round pick for a guy and expect him not to be better than the mediocre guy who tore his achilles that he replaced.
We gave up a first but also got a second back. It was really the equivalent of a mid second round pick that we gave up.
[Reply]
jd1020 08:01 AM 10-05-2021
Originally Posted by smithandrew051:
We gave up a first but also got a second back. It was really the equivalent of a mid second round pick that we gave up.
I don't give a shit what the "equivalency" is. We gave up a 1st round pick.

I'm not complaining about the trade, but you don't make that move if you think you can't improve over even Eric Fisher.
[Reply]
RunKC 08:04 AM 10-05-2021
If Eric Fisher doesn’t rupture his Achilles we have a really good selection of pass rushers we could have snagged.

Oweh, Rousseau and Tryon have all looked really good so far
[Reply]
kysirsoze 08:06 AM 10-05-2021

I'm not complaining about the trade, but you don't make that move if you think you can't improve over even Eric Fisher.
:-)
[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:07 AM 10-05-2021

The THIRTY FIRST PICK. We gave up PICK NUMBER 31.

And got a second back.

And Fisher, while being unfortunately a first overall pick in a year where that was a real bummer to have, was a decent LT when healthy. Above average. Not GREAT, not shitty, but above average at the second hardest position to fill in football.

Now, Brown would appear at this point, 4 games in, to be vastly better as a run blocker, and slightly lesser than Fisher as a pass blocker. Not bad, not great so far. So far I'd say slight advantage Brown, who is also what, 6 years younger?

And we're 4 games in, with 5 new starters who are just getting used to playing together, including 3 rookies.

so yeah, bitching about the line right now is dumb.
[Reply]
jd1020 08:13 AM 10-05-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
What don't people understand about 1st round picks?

Is 31 worth less than 10? Yes.

Is giving up your best pick and the ability of having a potentially really good player for 1 more year a lot cheaper than he would be on a 5th year option meaningless? No.

If the net value of the picks was the equivalent of a 4th round pick then how come the Ravens didn't just take a 4th round pick for him? Probably because getting that 1st was pretty important to them.
[Reply]
nychief 08:33 AM 10-05-2021
I think it is too early to judge and we should see where we are at the halfway point.
[Reply]
TomBarndtsTwin 08:55 AM 10-05-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:

And got a second back.

And Fisher, while being unfortunately a first overall pick in a year where that was a real bummer to have, was a decent LT when healthy. Above average. Not GREAT, not shitty, but above average at the second hardest position to fill in football.

Now, Brown would appear at this point, 4 games in, to be vastly better as a run blocker, and slightly lesser than Fisher as a pass blocker. Not bad, not great so far. So far I'd say slight advantage Brown, who is also what, 6 years younger?

And we're 4 games in, with 5 new starters who are just getting used to playing together, including 3 rookies.

so yeah, bitching about the line right now is dumb.
This is a fair assessment.

Still hesitant to commit to that big long term contract for Brown after this season based on what we've seen so far, but again, only 4 games.

Willing to wait and see . . . . . .
[Reply]
Page 138 of 192
« First < 3888128134135136137138 139140141142148188 > Last »
Up