ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 108 of 1203
« First < 85898104105106107108 1091101111121181582086081108 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Fire Me Boy! What's For Dinner? Thread
Buehler445 08:45 AM 07-15-2015
Since the other one got too big, let's keep the food truck rolling. Whacha got?

Vol 2. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=285408
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:02 AM 02-19-2016
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
Truer words have never been spoken. If you dried out thighs, you burned them bad.

You want them about 175F if you use a thermometer.

I also don't marinate. Thighs don't need it.
The good ol' days of 10lb bags of chicken leg quarters for $3.20 got my dark meat game pretty strong in college.

I probably barbecued chicken twice a week (which is probably why I rarely do it anymore).

I tended to pull mine around 170.
[Reply]
Dunit35 11:02 AM 02-19-2016
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
And this is why I've never taken the plunge on the Traeger.

I've messed with my step-dads and despite my best efforts, I just can't get them to generate enough eat to truly finish anything I grill.

If they'd have a nitrous button on those things that you could push and goose it to 700 degrees or so, I'd take a shot. But when you're capped at around 500 degrees, you're just using an oven outside at that point.
If I could have a do over, I'd purchase a Yoder.

The traeger does make some great food. It lacks in the smoke department though. It's the one thing I wish it would do.

As far as the super high temps, I don't mind not being able to leave nice grill marks on it.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:05 AM 02-19-2016
Originally Posted by scho63:
What about if you want to add for create flavoring not moisture? You're still not a fan?

I had this in mind.

If you're going for flavor, go this route:

Spoiler!

Inject it with some creole butter. Don't go too crazy on something like a thigh, but if you give it a poke horizontally across the meaty part, push all the way though and then slowly plunge as you're drawing back out, you'll get a nice flavor all through the meat.

Or if you prefer, you can probably find some jerk injection as well (or an easy recipe for it, then use the syringe from the creole package; they clean up and re-use well).
[Reply]
Dunit35 11:06 AM 02-19-2016
What's everyone's take on getting bite through chicken skin?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:08 AM 02-19-2016
Originally Posted by Dunit35:
If I could have a do over, I'd purchase a Yoder.

The traeger does make some great food. It lacks in the smoke department though. It's the one thing I wish it would do.

As far as the super high temps, I don't mind not being able to leave nice grill marks on it.
If you're trying to up your smoker game on a Traeger, give this a shot:

https://www.outlandusa.com/p/a-maze-...FYGFaQodpc0PgQ

People absolutely swear by them. I've thought about grabbing one just to do small smokes on my Weber instead of getting out my smoker and using a whole bag of charcoal.

The grill marks aren't the issue, the maillard reaction is. Sure, you can get a little of it as low as 300, but to get a legitimate char on things like steaks, you need to be in the 600+ range, IMO. Just a quick kiss at those temperatures (again, using a 2-stage fire for things like pork or chicken breasts) does wonders for the flavor.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 11:10 AM 02-19-2016
Originally Posted by scho63:
What about if you want to add to create flavor not moisture? You're still not a fan?

I had this in mind.

I would be wary. I suspect the sugar content is high, and sugar burns pretty easily.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:11 AM 02-19-2016
I just gave it.

You'll never get bite before the fat renders out because I believe some of that fat acts as a bit of a mini 'stall' - that thing that makes a pork butt take 12 hours.

When the fat is still there and still rendering, it's still putting moisture into the skin and countering the fire's ability to really put a good bark on there. The only way to deal with that is to either overcook the bird at lower temperatures (fully rendering out the fat on the skin) or simply throw more heat at it than the fat can counteract. The latter also keeps some fat in there for flavor.

It's just a heat thing - the only way to get a good bite on that chicken skin is that 5-10 minute 'finish' step over higher heat. That's in part what the maillard reaction gives you.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 11:11 AM 02-19-2016
I don't usually grill chicken. I like to roast thighs. Start on the stove top in cast iron, skin side down for 8-10 minutes to render, flip and finish in the oven. Cracklin' crisp!
[Reply]
Dunit35 11:32 AM 02-19-2016
I don't usually grill chicken. I like to roast thighs. Start on the stove top in cast iron, skin side down for 8-10 minutes to render, flip and finish in the oven. Cracklin' crisp!
I need to get a cast iron. I've read through that cast iron skillet thread many times and have yet to pull the trigger on one.

One meal we really enjoyed on the Traeger was a boneless turkey breast. It was super moist and flavorful. Not exactly healthy after adding the ingredients.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NEy9lHrGD0E
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 11:37 AM 02-19-2016
I need to get a cast iron. I've read through that cast iron skillet thread many times and have yet to pull the trigger on one.
DO IT!
[Reply]
Dunit35 11:40 AM 02-19-2016

People absolutely swear by them. I've thought about grabbing one just to do small smokes on my Weber instead of getting out my smoker and using a whole bag of charcoal.

The grill marks aren't the issue, the maillard reaction is. Sure, you can get a little of it as low as 300, but to get a legitimate char on things like steaks, you need to be in the 600+ range, IMO. Just a quick kiss at those temperatures (again, using a 2-stage fire for things like pork or chicken breasts) does wonders for the flavor.
I bought one last spring. It does help. My torch shit out and I haven't replaced it yet. So, I haven't used it an awhile.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 11:57 AM 02-19-2016

I agree with you on most things, DJ, but this is just not true. I regularly get great crust and maillard in my cast iron around 400. The key is making sure the steak is dry. If it's moist, the crust won't start to form until all the water has evaporated, which is a painful amount of time.

An hour uncovered in the fridge is enough to dry out the surface of the meat.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:32 PM 02-19-2016
I agree with you on most things, DJ, but this is just not true. I regularly get great crust and maillard in my cast iron around 400. The key is making sure the steak is dry. If it's moist, the crust won't start to form until all the water has evaporated, which is a painful amount of time.

An hour uncovered in the fridge is enough to dry out the surface of the meat.
I mean fire temp.

I never actually put the gun on my cast iron, to be honest. When it's smokin', it's hot enough. I suspect the heat needed for a sear when you have direct contact is substantially lower so I have no reason to disagree with you there.

But a 400 degree open fire isn't gonna do shit for a sear; not enough surface area and too much energy lost.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 02:36 PM 02-19-2016
I mean fire temp.

I never actually put the gun on my cast iron, to be honest. When it's smokin', it's hot enough. I suspect the heat needed for a sear when you have direct contact is substantially lower so I have no reason to disagree with you there.

But a 400 degree open fire isn't gonna do shit for a sear; not enough surface area and too much energy lost.
Depends on how close you are to the fire. :-)
[Reply]
lewdog 03:00 PM 02-19-2016
I don't always marinate my chicken thighs but when I do it's to make Teriyaki chicken thighs.

Oil, soy sauce/Teriyaki, garlic salt, onion powder, pepper, lime juice.

I just slap those bad boys straight on the grill. Chicken thighs are my favorite and they really don't dry out. Really hard to mess up.
[Reply]
Page 108 of 1203
« First < 85898104105106107108 1091101111121181582086081108 > Last »
Up