View Poll Results: Pay Orlando Brown Jr a 6 yr $145 mil contract
Yes 55 47.41%
No 61 52.59%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll
Page 53 of 343
« First < 3434950515253 5455565763103153 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Orlando Brown Projected Contract 6 year $145 mil
dlphg9 08:17 PM 03-28-2022
So there's an article on NFL network saying that Orlando Brown is expected to sign for 6 years $145 mil.

That comes to $24.16 mil/yr and makes him the highest paid offensive lineman in football. It also would give him the 19th highest salary per year in the NFL

How would you feel if that is the contract he ended up signing?

I'm fine with it. He is a top 5 LT and he's only 26 next season. A young great LT is a guy you can't let leave.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 03:13 PM 06-18-2022
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Here’s how:

If he is given the biggest contract for a LT ever (which I expect) with the most guaranteed (which I expect) with a balloon year or two at the end that drive up the overall value but which are clearly cut or extend points (which I expect) he can both be the highest paid LT (technically) while also being a very reasonable cap hit, relative to a player of his skill set for the next 3-4 years, especially once the cap starts to drastically increase in a few years.

That’s the type of deal we’re going to see, IMO. Initial details (years and total value) will look crazy, maybe. Then we’ll see the structure and it will look better. Then a few years will pass and it will look even better.

Totally agree.

I could see an announced deal of 6yrs/$180 million with $100+ million guaranteed.

Yes, it looks bad but I know Bart Vagich knows what he is doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
-King- 06-18-2022, 03:23 PM
This message has been deleted by -King-.
Wallcrawler 03:26 PM 06-18-2022
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
So there's an article on NFL network saying that Orlando Brown is expected to sign for 6 years $145 mil.

That comes to $24.16 mil/yr and makes him the highest paid offensive lineman in football. It also would give him the 19th highest salary per year in the NFL

How would you feel if that is the contract he ended up signing?

I'm fine with it. He is a top 5 LT and he's only 26 next season. A young great LT is a guy you can't let leave.
You're fine with a lot of questionable shit. Like making Chris "playoff invisible" Jones the highest paid defender in the league on his previous contract negotiation.

Brown isn't worth anywhere close to that money, but we're stuck with him because of the draft capital spent to acquire him.

Either way you slice it, we're getting fucked on the deal. Either we cut bait and acknowledge we wasted a 1st round pick on a flyer, or we overpay for a guy who isn't worth the money but it's too late to do anything to replace him now.

For what he's wanting, tag and trade, hope for the best. Veach is a cap wizard so perhaps he can get a deal done to satisfy Brown right now, but that we have an escape built into later.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 03:44 PM 06-18-2022
Originally Posted by Wallcrawler:
You're fine with a lot of questionable shit. Like making Chris "playoff invisible" Jones the highest paid defender in the league on his previous contract negotiation.

Brown isn't worth anywhere close to that money, but we're stuck with him because of the draft capital spent to acquire him.

Either way you slice it, we're getting ****ed on the deal. Either we cut bait and acknowledge we wasted a 1st round pick on a flyer, or we overpay for a guy who isn't worth the money but it's too late to do anything to replace him now.

For what he's wanting, tag and trade, hope for the best. Veach is a cap wizard so perhaps he can get a deal done to satisfy Brown right now, but that we have an escape built into later.
Horseshit. We're not stuck with him unless we want to be. We gave up the equivalent of a 2nd round pick for him, and got a year cheap- we could tag and trade him for better than that most likely. That being said-can you replace him FOR SURE for less? Probably not.

You don't have to like the player, but don't act like we're stuck- we're not. If Veach and Reid feel he's still ascending, they'll pay him.
[Reply]
BossChief 04:29 PM 06-18-2022
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
I'm getting Frank Clark vibes from him due the comment, he'll turn into a fatass not caring if he wins or loses when he's paid.
That’s silly, man.

His dad is a HOFer and he is working his ass off to build his skill set to improve the on field product while already being a very good OT. Him dropping weight and working tirelessly on his technique is going to have him vastly improved over last year.

Nothing in his profile says “turns into Frank Clark once paid”.

Originally Posted by suzzer99:
I think OBJ signs as long as they offer him something around top 5 money, which is fair because it will be top 15 money in a few years. All this posturing makes me think maybe he's protesting a little too much, and he's just trying to squeeze the max offer - but has no intention of walking away.

Kind of like me trying to talk a big game at the car dealership. Salesmen see right through that shit and can tell I'm a noob.
Except if Orlando doesn’t get the deal he wants, he can go back to Baltimore after this season.

I think Veach should have hit the bid button a couple more times for Silverback.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 04:41 PM 06-18-2022
Originally Posted by BossChief:
That’s silly, man.

His dad is a HOFer and he is working his ass off to build his skill set to improve the on field product while already being a very good OT. Him dropping weight and working tirelessly on his technique is going to have him vastly improved over last year.

Nothing in his profile says “turns into Frank Clark once paid”.

Except if Orlando doesn’t get the deal he wants, he can go back to Baltimore after this season.

I think Veach should have hit the bid button a couple more times for Silverback.
Why? Dude wasn't even healthy for the playoffs this season. He hasn't been healthy for a full season in a literal DECADE. Doesn't matter if he has the most talent on paper if he isn't available/not at 100% during the most critical part of each season. The fascination with him is fucking baffling.
[Reply]
SAGA45 04:46 PM 06-18-2022
Originally Posted by -King-:
Hes the 17th ranked T on PFF.

He's not going to get the contract he wants after being the 8-14th best LT in the league AND taking a year off.
You're giving too much weight to his PFF ranking in the eyes of his potential suitors.

From their perspective, they'd likely focus on the following:
- He's 26 (turns 27 next May)
- 6'8" 340-350 lbs
- Proven to be extremely durable
- 3x Pro Bowler (more of a selling point for his agent but still looks good on his resume.)
- A year less of wear and tear which is compounded favorably by his youth, size and durability.
- Has experience at both tackle spots
- Actively staying in shape.

There'd be a vibrant market for him if he were to enter free agency simply because left tackles that check all of those boxes do not become available hence him being tagged by the Chiefs in the first place.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 04:48 PM 06-18-2022
We extend this piece of shit yet?
[Reply]
Dawson 04:55 PM 06-18-2022
I wanted to draft Samuel Cosmi in that 2021 draft. He was rock solid as a rookie too. Could have just drafted him and paid Hill. But here we are with Orlando Brown and Marquez Valdes-Scantling. Brown is a nice player but he isn't elite and he is the real reason Hill was moved. Dude thinks he's Jonathan Ogden.
[Reply]
RealSNR 04:55 PM 06-18-2022
Originally Posted by Wallcrawler:

Either way you slice it, we're getting fucked on the deal. Either we cut bait and acknowledge we wasted a 1st round pick on a flyer, or we overpay for a guy who isn't worth the money but it's too late to do anything to replace him now.

I made this point earlier, but...

At the time, Eric Fisher wasn't worth his extension he signed a few years ago.

At the time, LDT DEFINITELY wasn't worth his extension he signed a few years ago.

To be quite honest, given his injury history, Mitch Morse's contract with Buffalo wasn't worth it at the time, either. And even when healthy, I wouldn't have said Morse was a top 5 C in the NFL even though he became the highest paid C when he signed.

Sometimes that's just how it goes. Lo and behold, Fisher kept improving off of his 2015 season, and in just year 2 or 3 of the extension, I think we were getting a pretty good deal on a starting LT.

Orlando Brown improved a little as the year went along. I can't imagine him not continuing to improve this season. By how much is the question, but that's what the Chiefs would rather bank on than trying to start over again
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 04:56 PM 06-18-2022
Originally Posted by kccrow:
If it were actually 2-3 AAV then it would be a moot discussion but it's 7-8 AAV and that's another good starter. It's not just about him not being worth the top pay at the position because he's fully a tier below that and that's the exception people are taking. He's not good enough to command that salary and the issue is that the Chiefs will pay it because they basically have to. Their chance to address it was making a move to 17 for Trevor Penning this year and they didn't do it.

I don’t care what the flashy AAV looks like if you just look at the deal itself. All I care about is the actual deal.

If he gets 6/145, for example, but that includes a $40 million year six cap hit that clearly won’t get paid, it’s an awesome deal.

You can say “oh, the AAV is too high at $24.25M/year,“ but really you’re paying him 5/100 and either moving on or extending him in year6.
[Reply]
-King- 05:00 PM 06-18-2022
Originally Posted by SAGA45:
You're giving too much weight to his PFF ranking in the eyes of his potential suitors.

From their perspective, they'd likely focus on the following:
- He's 26 (turns 27 next May)
- 6'8" 340-350 lbs
- Proven to be extremely durable
- 3x Pro Bowler (more of a selling point for his agent but still looks good on his resume.)
- A year less of wear and tear which is compounded favorably by his youth, size and durability.
- Has experience at both tackle spots
- Actively staying in shape.

There'd be a vibrant market for him if he were to enter free agency simply because left tackles that check all of those boxes do not become available hence him being tagged by the Chiefs in the first place.
Look at that list... None of those things are about his actual play.
[Reply]
-King- 05:07 PM 06-18-2022
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
I don’t care what the flashy AAV looks like if you just look at the deal itself. All I care about is the actual deal.

If he gets 6/145, for example, but that includes a $40 million year six cap hit that clearly won’t get paid, it’s an awesome deal.

You can say “oh, the AAV is too high at $24.25M/year,“ but really you’re paying him 5/100 and either moving on or extending him in year6.
If he wants to sign a deal full of phony money but looks good on paper and in tweets, sure, sign him to a billion dollar contract. But I don't think he's threatening to hold out just because of the on paper figure.
[Reply]
RealSNR 05:13 PM 06-18-2022
Originally Posted by kccrow:

It all won't matter now, the Chiefs will re-sign OBJ. Hopefully, he continues to improve and does ascend to being very much worth it. Right now though, I don't think he's there and I don't like that Mahomes had to change how he plays to accommodate it.
1. I know OBJ's best trait as a protector is forcing rushers to the outside and out of the play provided Mahomes isn't sitting there like a duck holding onto the ball for a zillion years. He's bigger and "clunkier" than a guy like Fisher and plays differently, but that doesn't mean he can't continue to improve his protection at the point of contact rather than just using his massive size as a crutch at controlling the path of the rusher.

2. The Tyreek trade was 99% all about the money and the draft pick compensation. But I'll betcha just even a small sliver of 1% was Andy looking forward to Mahomes changing and evolving beyond an offense without Tyreek. Let's face it... our offense stalled for a stretch of a few games when Mahomes kept wanting to make magic happen every fucking play, and too often the deep ball just wasn't happening. Andy of course doesn't want to abandon the deep ball, but he'd also Mahomes keeps growing and getting better at making the best decision possible, not necessarily the most explosive one that leads to too many punts.

And I think similarly, a LT that has a tendency to pass block via re-directing the path of the rusher away from the pocket is about making Mahomes use that pocket more often. In the end, it's going to make him a more well-rounded QB. It's not like Mahomes is ever going to forget how to scramble around and make plays. But if he develops this amazing comfort level with stepping up into the pocket when he has to or wants to, NOW he becomes even more of a lethal threat that the league didn't see coming.

Basically... yeah, you want to play to your players' strengths, but Mahomes is a big boy, and this could make him an even better QB.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 05:26 PM 06-18-2022
Originally Posted by BossChief:
That’s silly, man.

Silly? The man playing his negotiations in the media, the guys about the money. OBJ's not concerned about legacy or winning.

He'll have a decent season, but after the contract Year I expect a DGAF attitude ballooning back to 360+ pounds
[Reply]
-King- 05:57 PM 06-18-2022
Btw...his dad isn't a hall of famer...
[Reply]
Page 53 of 343
« First < 3434950515253 5455565763103153 > Last »
Up