ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 13
« First < 34567 891011 > Last »
Hall of Classics>Best Or Worst Retail Exp??????
CASHMAN 10:47 PM 01-07-2003
I was just wondering if any of you had a good or bad day at a retail store? or work at one and have some info into why some customers think they own the place they spend there money in? and why customer service has gone down hill??

CASHMAN.
[Reply]
RNR 03:52 AM 01-08-2003
Originally Posted by :
Originally posted by KCChiefsMan

and I dont care how people dress, I just said that if they are wearing a confederate flag , nascar crap, dirty ass t-shirt, john deer hats or cowboy shit. I didn't mean to offend the people that wear that shit, but I'll tell you what, they won't get good service if I serve them, believe that!
I don't wear any of the above other than boots, where do you work? I drive through your town from time to time. I be glad to try your food, and you will treat me right, believe that!
[Reply]
Ebolapox 03:54 AM 01-08-2003
Originally Posted by :
Originally posted by keg in kc
Hmm, I might 'borrow' that.
feel free... it does send a message, I know that much

-EBOLA-
[Reply]
KCChiefsMan 03:55 AM 01-08-2003
Originally Posted by :
Originally posted by pHoBiA
You win some, you lose some. I just think you have a shitty attitude about your job. Could be burnout. I hope things work out better for you in your next career.

Sometimes you do things knowing you're going to get nothing in return. It's called pride in yourself and your work. Make an adjustment and I promise that you'll be surprised sometimes.

How much extra effort does it *really* require to give an adequate level of service to EVERYBODY? You're certainly not saving any TIME by being rude - it takes the same duration to field their orders and collect their pay whether you are polite or rude. Applebees isn't exactly 5 star dining. My expectations are not high when eating at such establishments. Your job is thankless, arduous, and stressful. I recognize that. But it's not HARD. You're making it harder than it needs to be.

I used to make $16k per year in the military with a wife and 2 kids to support. When I could afford to go to restaurants, it was a big deal and a sacrifice. Yet, I always managed to take care of my wait staff. In fact, one time in particular, the waitress was extremely helpful and cheerful and we left her an extra $10 during the holidays (on a $20 tab and on top of her regular tip). At that time, I'm sure I was stereotyped as a poor tipper because it was a military town.

I'm just trying to help. Since I'm unaffected, I don't really care one way or another.
see, I'm not sure if you guys are understanding what I'm saying here, I like my job, it's a good environment, and I take a LOT of pride in my work, but......I have my own system and it's how I like it and I'm damn good at my job, I know Applebee's isn't five stars, but its not a horrible place either, I'm not expecting 50% or anything ridiculous, just 15% is all I would like to get for giving people good service. I don't give people intentional bad service very often truthfully, thats probably how I made it sound like, but honestly I give intentional bad service mainly when I recognize people that have come in before and not left a tip. and they come back, believe me, but I usually give everybody the benefit of the doubt, but from now on people with cowboy gear or confederate flags will NEVER get good service, I've had it with them.
[Reply]
Ebolapox 03:57 AM 01-08-2003
Originally Posted by :

see, I'm not sure if you guys are understanding what I'm saying here, I like my job, it's a good environment, and I take a LOT of pride in my work, but......I have my own system and it's how I like it and I'm damn good at my job, I know Applebee's isn't five stars, but its not a horrible place either, I'm not expecting 50% or anything ridiculous, just 15% is all I would like to get for giving people good service. I don't give people intentional bad service very often truthfully, thats probably how I made it sound like, but honestly I give intentional bad service mainly when I recognize people that have come in before and not left a tip. and they come back, believe me, but I usually give everybody the benefit of the doubt, but from now on people with cowboy gear or confederate flags will NEVER get good service, I've had it with them.
which applebees do you work at, and in what city??? I might be forced to take a road trip just to piss you off :-)

-EBOLA-:-)
[Reply]
KCChiefsMan 03:57 AM 01-08-2003
Originally Posted by :
Originally posted by RedNeckRaider
I don't wear any of the above other than boots, where do you work? I drive through your town from time to time. I be glad to try your food, and you will treat me right, believe that!

I will treat you right huh? I bet I probably wouldn't
[Reply]
KCChiefsMan 03:57 AM 01-08-2003
Originally Posted by :
Originally posted by EBOLA

which applebees do you work at, and in what city??? I might be forced to take a road trip just to piss you off :-)

-EBOLA-:-)
gee thanks....Lawrence, west
[Reply]
Ebolapox 04:00 AM 01-08-2003
Originally Posted by :

gee thanks....Lawrence, west
:-) :-)

naw... considering my age, I tip overly generous (generally 20% and up)(also considering cash flow)...I obviously didn't get it from my folks, they're of the school of thought that a buck is good for any meal..... obviously that won't make you friends with any waitor/tress...

-EBOLA-
[Reply]
RNR 04:03 AM 01-08-2003
Originally Posted by :

I will treat you right huh? I bet I probably wouldn't
No, cause I have no idea where you work. Most around here know me ,and I don't talk trash, and blow pricks like you off. :-) This is unreal, I got pissed at a guy on a pute who does a chicks job :-)
[Reply]
Phobia 04:05 AM 01-08-2003
Whoops - I do sometimes meet your criteria. I'm a concrete cowboy. When the rodeo comes to town (and a select few other times of the year), I'll throw on my ostrich boots and beaver felt hat and take the wife out to eat. If you screwed me just 'cuz I'm wearing a hat, you blew it. I'm one of the best tippers I know.

Also, my old man doesn't fit any of your criteria and he's the worst tipper. Every time I eat with him, I augment the tip after he's left the table.
[Reply]
memyselfI 08:36 AM 01-08-2003
I went to CC to buy some speakers. They were sold out of the set I wanted but instead offered a the next in line model for the same price. I bought them.

Then I had second thoughts about buying components and wanted a HTIB and returned the speakers. After buying the HTIB I immediately had second thoughts and was regretful that I had returned the speakers and other components. I figured I was out of luck because the salesperson had done me a favor.

I went back to CC explained what happened and showed them my receipts. They offered me the speakers again at the same price without making a fuss. They were 'glad' to have me back.

I ended up buying the a few more of my HT components there. Not only did they match the original sale price but I also mentioned that on their internet site they were offering a deal that was not in the store. They matched the internet site deal.

Just a great experience dealing with these folks...especially compared to the BB zoo across the street.
[Reply]
memyselfI 08:38 AM 01-08-2003
KC, don't answer that. My brother in law has a high ranking position in Applebees... :-)
[Reply]
PastorMikH 09:29 AM 01-08-2003
Originally Posted by :

I only care about how much is left on the table,

&

but 10 out of 10 cowboys (forgot to put that on the list) leave NO MORE than a dollar, guarunteed every time,

First one pretty well sums things up.

Let's examine that second one a bit. If they leave just a $1, Let's see, you work probaly 4-6 tables a night (if it is an average resturaunt), possibly as many as 10 when help is down. Let's go with 5 tables though. You can fill those tables at a buffet every 15 - 20 minutes. Order off the menu, you can probably fill those tables close to 2x an hour if you and the cook hustle your services. At $1 tip, 5 tables, filled 2x an hour, that's $10 in tips an hour. $12 an hour with the wage added in (peak times of course). Now, when you figure in that most people tip quite a bit more than a $1, shoot, you are probably better paid than a good number on this board.

Waitering is an easy job. Sure putting up with customers can be fustrating, but it is an easy job. I would suggest you leave the resturaunt biz and get a job with a roofing contractor this next summer. It pays a lot more than $2 an hour, but you won't be quite so bitter when you go back to that indoor, airconditioned job.

Here's a thought, what if those coboys (I'm talking real cowboys, not the John Travolta urban dudes) come in, sit down, shake your hand, realize your hand does not have a callous one on it and your grip is like a wet noodle. Then you don't bust your tail in serving the table, they assume you are lazy and don't tip. Problem is, you pre-judge people and give poor service. What if they pre-judge you and decide they are going to get terrible service up front?

If you will learn how to treat people, your life will go much better.
[Reply]
PastorMikH 09:36 AM 01-08-2003
Originally Posted by :
Originally posted by RedNeckRaider
I wear jeans, t-shirt, flanel shirt, I wear roper type work boots or cowboy boots, and I always tip at least 15%. I will tell you another thing you act like you are to good for me cause you don't like the way dress, you will not get a penny, and you might get your *** kicked.

Hey Redneck, didn't you mean to say "Rope" belt?

This statement really throws me though. The second part is so typical of a Riaderfan, but the real-person attire instead of a drag gettup really is offbeat for a :-).:-)

BTW, he'd probably completely lose it if you were to ask them to put some Dwight Yokum tunes on the musac speakers.
[Reply]
memyselfI 09:44 AM 01-08-2003
'Waitering is an easy job.'

I beg to differ.

ANY job is an 'easy' job if you just do it. If you want to do it RIGHT that is when it becomes tricky...

I'm sure I could pray some and talk about God some and make being a Pastor look like an 'easy' job. That does not mean I'd be any good at it and certainly it doesn't mean the people I service would gain any real benefit from it. :-)

I think server (the new name for the profession) is actually a very tricky and difficult job. You are serving people food. The nature of feeding people has all sorts of cultural, class, socio-economic, and psychological dynamics as does the serving of people.

You have people who want to just eat and the only thing between them and the food is you. These people are the ones who get hostile about having to tip, having to wait for you to serve them, having to deal with you at all.

You have people who WANT to be served. They want their presence acknowledged, they want their every needs attended, and these are the people who tend to value good service because they expect it and reward it.

Then you have the folks in between who think that servers are a necessary evil. As such they will use it to their benefit and if they feel the server meets some ingrained psychological criteria they have passed a test and will be fairly rewarded (anywhere from 10-18%) but it doesn't matter so much what the server does as it does what this customer is thinking and what type of mood they are in.

Given these sorts of dynamics...how can one say its an 'easy' job. I did it for ONE day and said 'no, thanks.' But I have many friends who've made little or lots of money doing this.

Some try to make a living doing it...they are truly professionals who would scoff at the idea that their ability to make a life out of serving at fine restraurants is akin and easy as working at Denny's.
[Reply]
Bwana 09:48 AM 01-08-2003
Mailboxes Etc......THEY SUCK!!!!!!!:-)
[Reply]
Page 7 of 13
« First < 34567 891011 > Last »
Up