ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 5
< 12345
Nzoner's Game Room>How do you think this draft class impacts this year?
RunKC 08:54 AM 05-03-2021
Was just thinking about a ton of teams saying they won’t show up to voluntary OTA’s and believe some rookies won’t either. That’s definitely going to hurt.

From our class, I think Creed Humphrey is the only player who could be a starter opening day. I’m not completely confident in that considering he needs reps with Patrick but I think there’s a strong possibility there.

Bolton is probably not starting but will play roughly 25% of the snaps early if I had to guess. I think they’ll take the Willie Gay approach around mid season where he played some but not a ton. Unfortunately we’ll have to suffer watching Neimann a bit longer in September and most of October before Bolton starts taking over.

I think we could definitely see Gray and Powell early but on specialty plays starting off. Gray could easily be a FB/TE ace early and Powell on red zone plays and a few others. They’ll get ST’s snaps for sure

Kaindoh is too raw. He’ll get some reps but not many early IMO. Think they want to work on his technique as he develops. He’s a guy to watch later in the year.

Smith is probably going to be the backup this year. He’s definitely beating out Wylie but I keep thinking Andy will start LDT at RG for continuity bc there’s just no way in hell he’s starting potentially 3 players with zero NFL snaps all next to each other in week 1. Would really like to see the kid in as an extra lineman on speciality plays.

This kid is undrafted but I think that BYU kid could really be Dirty Dan’s 2022 replacement and could beat out Watts. He’s athletic as hell and should be money on ST’s.

Anyone disagree? Think one of these guys gets more playing time early?
[Reply]
-King- 11:09 AM 05-04-2021
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi:
The right guard spot is only up in the air because we have multiple qualified options.

Creed starts day 1
Blythe starts at RG.
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:22 AM 05-04-2021
Originally Posted by Mecca:
If anyone does it twice their career is probably toast.
He’s a doctor with a Super Bowl ring. If anyone who can do it and not give a shit...it’s him.
[Reply]
oldman 12:35 PM 05-04-2021
Creed starting at C will have a lot to do with who is at RT and RG. We're all looking at Niang to be the RT, but what if he's not ready? That leaves Remmers or Long as the RT. TBH, I'm not counting on Long to be anything more than depth. He's been out 2 years and has an injury history. LDT has been out a year and may never come back. If neither of those guys pan out, then you're stuck with Wylie or Smith as RG. Andy has a half billion dollar QB he's not going to let get smashed by playing 2 rookies next to esach other. Wylie, even as a vet, isn't much help to a rookie. Sure you can slide Blythe over there, but then we're not playing the best 5. I'm sure Creed will be the starter some time this seaon, just not game 1.
[Reply]
The Franchise 12:37 PM 05-04-2021
Originally Posted by oldman:
Creed starting at C will have a lot to do with who is at RT and RG. We're all looking at Niang to be the RT, but what if he's not ready? That leaves Remmers or Long as the RT. TBH, I'm not counting on Long to be anything more than depth. He's been out 2 years and has an injury history. LDT has been out a year and may never come back. If neither of those guys pan out, then you're stuck with Wylie or Smith as RG. Andy has a half billion dollar QB he's not going to let get smashed by playing 2 rookies next to esach other. Wylie, even as a vet, isn't much help to a rookie. Sure you can slide Blythe over there, but then we're not playing the best 5. I'm sure Creed will be the starter some time this seaon, just not game 1.
Remmers was just fine at RT last season.
[Reply]
-King- 01:03 PM 05-04-2021
Blythe was very good at guard before Rams moved him to center

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2019/7...e-aaron-kromer

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...ms/2726250002/
[Reply]
BossChief 05:35 PM 05-04-2021
It is true that Blythe was good at RG a few years ago. Better than he’s been at center.

I’d hope LDT would opt out and his salary would be off the books this year. That would clear 5m in cap space, right?
[Reply]
Mecca 05:37 PM 05-04-2021
Mitch Morse started as a rookie, Humphrey will get the job.
[Reply]
R Clark 05:45 PM 05-04-2021
I agree and I think they are going to have a hard time keeping smith off the field or at least I hope . I am sure everyone has watched the video of them interviewing chiefs scouts on smith can’t remember his name but he couldn’t be any higher on him .
[Reply]
synthesis2 08:18 AM 05-05-2021
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Was just thinking about a ton of teams saying they won’t show up to voluntary OTA’s and believe some rookies won’t either. That’s definitely going to hurt.

From our class, I think Creed Humphrey is the only player who could be a starter opening day. I’m not completely confident in that considering he needs reps with Patrick but I think there’s a strong possibility there.

Bolton is probably not starting but will play roughly 25% of the snaps early if I had to guess. I think they’ll take the Willie Gay approach around mid season where he played some but not a ton. Unfortunately we’ll have to suffer watching Neimann a bit longer in September and most of October before Bolton starts taking over.

I think we could definitely see Gray and Powell early but on specialty plays starting off. Gray could easily be a FB/TE ace early and Powell on red zone plays and a few others. They’ll get ST’s snaps for sure

Kaindoh is too raw. He’ll get some reps but not many early IMO. Think they want to work on his technique as he develops. He’s a guy to watch later in the year.

Smith is probably going to be the backup this year. He’s definitely beating out Wylie but I keep thinking Andy will start LDT at RG for continuity bc there’s just no way in hell he’s starting potentially 3 players with zero NFL snaps all next to each other in week 1. Would really like to see the kid in as an extra lineman on speciality plays.

This kid is undrafted but I think that BYU kid could really be Dirty Dan’s 2022 replacement and could beat out Watts. He’s athletic as hell and should be money on ST’s.

Anyone disagree? Think one of these guys gets more playing time early?
I think they are going to have a much bigger impact than what you are saying...

My take is Bolton will get the vast majority of the snaps (70% plus) this year, he is much more instinctual and "gets it" much faster than Gay does. Bolton will be our most productive linebacker this year.

Creed, is a plug and play center, unless injured he is there for years and a huge upgrade from what we had.

Kaindoh is almost exactly like KPass so he will get work here and there but mainly be a special teams guy, will play more if someone gets hurt, my guess is he plays (15%) of the plays

People forget how often we throw or used to throw to the "other" TE but they have been so bad that Mahomes has abandoned, not now, I think Gray gets 25-40 catches for 400-500 yards this year which is great. He is a instant upgrade at TE2

Powell is the wildcard to me? He could be really solid or a complete bust, I like the pick but he is the only one I have no idea on what will happen. fingers crossed on him.

Smith is probably the second best Guard on our team right now behind Thuney. His question is health, if the dude is healthy then he better be starting by game 5-6 or I'll be pissed, it will give him enough time to get in shape and lean the offense.

So for me everyone but Powell I feel VERY good about and think most will play a huge role on the team this year.
[Reply]
cmh6476 08:23 AM 05-05-2021
super bowl champs instead of runner-ups
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 08:27 AM 05-05-2021

Blythe is way better than you think, and played guard some when at Iowa. He was a Chiefs fan growing up, and wanted to get closer to home for family. He will be giving it every effort so he may get resigned on a longer term contract. It's going to be a battle, and whoever starts, it will be our best 5.
[Reply]
RunKC 09:21 AM 05-05-2021
From Nate Taylor on the Times Ours Pod:

Bolton-pretty much what we thought. Smart, instinctual, agreed he compares to Hitchens but more athletic. Will gradually get on the field more as season goes on.

Humphrey-pretty much agreed he will be a very strong candidate to start like we all think

Kaindoh-Daley/Spags loved his type but he kept bringing up 2022. I wouldn’t expect much this year bc he needs development

Gray-they finally got a guy who can get open! They kept bringing up Kelce so they are extremely excited about his ability. He fell bc of lack of production last year which was bc...they had a huge downgrade at QB last year. Should get on the field this year but not too much.

Powell-Wonders if he can get on the field early but a lot of known guys with system experience on the team already. Will play ST’s. Nate really wants to see this kid in preseason.
Sounds like he needs a little time to get down the system.

Smith-Probably a backup role this year but no reason why he can’t start in 2022. They loved the value
[Reply]
Rausch 10:51 AM 05-05-2021
We're looking at 5 possible starters (not all this year) from this draft.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 5
< 12345
Up