ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 5
1 2345 >
Nzoner's Game Room>How do you think this draft class impacts this year?
RunKC 08:54 AM 05-03-2021
Was just thinking about a ton of teams saying they won’t show up to voluntary OTA’s and believe some rookies won’t either. That’s definitely going to hurt.

From our class, I think Creed Humphrey is the only player who could be a starter opening day. I’m not completely confident in that considering he needs reps with Patrick but I think there’s a strong possibility there.

Bolton is probably not starting but will play roughly 25% of the snaps early if I had to guess. I think they’ll take the Willie Gay approach around mid season where he played some but not a ton. Unfortunately we’ll have to suffer watching Neimann a bit longer in September and most of October before Bolton starts taking over.

I think we could definitely see Gray and Powell early but on specialty plays starting off. Gray could easily be a FB/TE ace early and Powell on red zone plays and a few others. They’ll get ST’s snaps for sure

Kaindoh is too raw. He’ll get some reps but not many early IMO. Think they want to work on his technique as he develops. He’s a guy to watch later in the year.

Smith is probably going to be the backup this year. He’s definitely beating out Wylie but I keep thinking Andy will start LDT at RG for continuity bc there’s just no way in hell he’s starting potentially 3 players with zero NFL snaps all next to each other in week 1. Would really like to see the kid in as an extra lineman on speciality plays.

This kid is undrafted but I think that BYU kid could really be Dirty Dan’s 2022 replacement and could beat out Watts. He’s athletic as hell and should be money on ST’s.

Anyone disagree? Think one of these guys gets more playing time early?
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 09:41 AM 05-03-2021
I foresee Bolton and Humphrey contributing by year's-end, probably becoming starters by end-of-season, but not starting day 1. I think Gray has the best chance of contributing this year, Reid will get creative with him in the Redzone. Trey is depth currently but could see him developing into a starter for us by yr 2 or 3, he'll eventually get a chance to fill a hole when someone gets injured. Hoping Kaindoh plays behind a guy like Ingram, and learns to be a situational pass-rusher for us in the future. Powell has about as good a chance of any of our WRs not named Hill to contribute, all he has to do is compete for the gig.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 09:43 AM 05-03-2021
Really hoping Gay/Bolton can be the answer at our LB spot. Because I'm tired of seeing our core get their shit pushed in.
[Reply]
saphojunkie 09:43 AM 05-03-2021
I think Creed is a day one starter. Frankly, I won't be surprised if a few of these draft picks actually show up in person. it's smart - you're a rookie and can get a jump on beating out veterans by showing up in person.

In terms of Bolton, I'd wager the goal is to NOT have another Willie Gay situation. I think they targeted this guy because they knew that he was ready to step in day 1 and make a contribution. Having your second round pick unavailable for months was not ideal, and more than one coach mentioned they're game-readiness as a big factor for these picks. You heard it about Bolton, Creed, Smith, and you heard EB telling Powell that he was being brought in to compete right away.

I feel like the Chiefs see it the way I do: Covid is real and dangerous, but once you're vaccinated it's time to fucking roll out and get back to normal. Get your ass into the facility and start working.

Also, I will not be surprised if one of LDT or Long do not make the team. Your point about continuity doesn't make sense. LDT wasn't here last year and will be playing with four other starters he doesn't know.
[Reply]
PHOG 09:48 AM 05-03-2021
Yeah, I think continuity just flew out the window. Time for them to establish a new continuity with each other.
[Reply]
Hoover 09:48 AM 05-03-2021
The only thing keeping LDT here is his contract.

We can save 2 million if we trade his ass next month, but I don't really see who would trade for him. I also think the Chiefs like him and the story. So he makes the roster, adds great depth, and waits for an opportunity to play.
[Reply]
Mama Hip Rockets 09:54 AM 05-03-2021
I think they will win the Super Bowl.
[Reply]
The Franchise 09:55 AM 05-03-2021
Originally Posted by Hoover:

We can save 2 million if we trade his ass next month, but I don't really see who would trade for him. I also think the Chiefs like him and the story. So he makes the roster, adds great depth, and waits for an opportunity to play.
He has a no trade clause. He isn’t going anywhere.
[Reply]
R Clark 09:57 AM 05-03-2021
Originally Posted by Hoover:

I can see smith taking LDT playing time, but I agree I think they like the feel good story with the good dr.
[Reply]
Mecca 09:59 AM 05-03-2021
I think it's weird that anyone thinks Humphrey isn't a day one starter. He may get the "earn the spot" treatment but he'll start week 1, they probably do that with Niang also.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 10:09 AM 05-03-2021
Blythe was the starting right guard for the Rams in 2018, and played guard early in his time at Iowa. He's an Iowa guy with huge family ties in the Midwest with 2 younger Children and was a Chiefs fan. He signed this skinny deal to get closer to home and he will want to prove his worth. Not sure he will start, but he definitely would be a good C, G backup and as good as LDT.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 10:11 AM 05-03-2021
I actually expect Bolton to play early downs, Humphrey to push to start and think that theres a real chance that Gray could push out the HB we signed to replace sherman.
[Reply]
Hoover 10:11 AM 05-03-2021
Originally Posted by Mecca:
I think it's weird that anyone thinks Humphrey isn't a day one starter. He may get the "earn the spot" treatment but he'll start week 1, they probably do that with Niang also.
That's what I hope happens, but I think Remmers gets the nod week one. I don't think it will be long until we see Niang.
[Reply]
RunKC 10:23 AM 05-03-2021
The Chiefs REALLY wanted Noah Gray. They wanted him so much that they tried to trade up twice just to get him.

He’s getting on the field a lot IMO. Kelce getting a breather? Gray is on the field. 12 personnel groupings, especially on 1st/2nd and long? Gray is on the field

I think he’s on the field as FB quite a bit too. He’s can routinely make plays like that Sherm TD in Patrick’s first start.

So pumped to see him play
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 10:30 AM 05-03-2021
Feels to me like Spags doesn't like to play LB first year, critical position and difficult to learn I suppose. Wouldn't be surprised if Bolton ends up with a similar playing time to Gay last year. Fully believe and have faith that Gay and Bolton are 2/3 or our future at LB and will be really good for us, hoping we nab a 3rd guy that's a bit of an x-factor in the future...someone who excels in blitzing, FF, and interceptions.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 5
1 2345 >
Up