ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 9 of 22
« First < 56789 1011121319 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*****The Cornell Powell Thread*****
Dante84 01:31 PM 05-01-2021
MY GUY!!!!!

More to come!

Originally Posted by :
Powell was a top-50 prospect nationally coming out of Greenville, North Carolina, but struggled during his first four years on campus to get playing time ahead of talented pass catchers Mike Williams, Tee Higgins, Justyn Ross, Hunter Renfrow, Deon Cain, Ray-Ray McCloud, Amari Rodgers, Artavis Scott and Diondre Overton (plus Jordan Leggett at tight end). He played in nine games as a reserve in 2016 (12 receptions, 87 yards, 7.3 average) and 14 games in 2017 (eight receptions, 57 yards, one touchdown, 7.1 average; three kick returns, 65 yards, 21.7 average). Powell redshirted his third year with the national-champion Tigers but played in four games (five receptions, 63 yards, 12.6 average; four kick returns, 117 yards, 29.3 average) as a backup while maintaining the year of eligibility. He was a larger part of Clemson's offense in 2019 (15 receptions, 122 yards, 8.1 average, two touchdowns). With Higgins off to the pros and Ross sidelined due to a spinal condition, Powell played well enough to earn third-team All-ACC honors (53 receptions, 882 yards, 16.6 average, seven touchdowns). He accepted an invitation to the Senior Bowl. -- by Chad Reuter

Overview
Unique evaluation as a wideout who came into the program as a four-star recruit, never beat out talent in front of him and then put together impressive tape in his single season as full-time starter. Powell is well-skilled beyond the career production as he's clearly taken in the coaching and learned from others at the position. He's smooth but will have to win with route polish and competitiveness as his long speed and separation burst appear to be very average, which could lead to a higher number of contested catches outside the Clemson offense. The tape is good but the testing will be important as teams grapple with the single season of production. Powell will be an NFL backup, at worst.
Strengths
  • Moves around the field with smooth gait.
  • Leverages route turns against tight man coverage.
  • Sneaky hand fighting to create separation.
  • Clears out catch space at the top of his routes.
  • Showed and proved as downfield ball-tracker and body-stacker.
  • Athletic in air with outstanding body control and catch instincts.
  • Plucks it at high-point and hides it away from swatting hands.
  • Plus hand-eye coordination through noisy catch-points.
  • Quarterback's friend with sudden but soft hands.
  • Will go get the football where it is thrown.
  • Gets run-ready even before completing hitch catch.
  • Not overly elusive but makes tacklers miss after catch.
  • Has ability as a stalk and wall-off blocker.
Weaknesses
  • Only one year over 15 catches and 125 yards in a season.
  • High-cut with limited wiggle in his movements.
  • Expect average release success against press.
  • Drive gear doesn't seem to generate panic in cornerbacks.
  • Route fakes lack salesmanship.
  • Below-average separation burst.
  • Route asks were rather basic at Clemson.
  • Dropped easy would-be touchdown catch headed into end zone against Virginia Tech.

.@CornellPowell17 is coming in to compete, and we simply can't wait! pic.twitter.com/45HcSEWAia

— Kansas City Chiefs (@Chiefs) May 2, 2021

[Reply]
Chieftain 12:06 PM 05-02-2021
And he seems very intelligent, too.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 12:15 PM 05-02-2021
He's a unique body. We haven't had anyone like that here. I'm very intrigued.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 12:29 PM 05-02-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
He's a unique body.

[Reply]
Skyy God 12:29 PM 05-02-2021
Seems like he tracks the football well.
[Reply]
RunKC 12:36 PM 05-02-2021
Originally Posted by Dante84:
Conley was just a big target who had a good connection with Patrick and somewhat reliable hands. He was also benefitting from Kareem Hunt drawing the defense’s focus instead of dropping 7-8 into coverage.

Powell reminds me of what we had in Maclin, albeit slower, but smooth routes and solid hands. And he’s stronger..
Yup and that was big upgrade over what we had last year.

No defense was worried about Robinson or Pringle. They were complete non-factors. Conley wasn’t great but at least he could make enough plays to force defenses to keep an eye on him.

Thankfully we’re getting that with Powell, be it with more potential
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 02:24 PM 05-02-2021
He reminds me of AJ Brown. And I’m not saying he’ll ever be that good, but that’s just what he looks like to me.
[Reply]
oldman 02:30 PM 05-02-2021
All of our WRs don't have to be rockets. I'd just like one that will win a contested ball, gain 9 yards when 5 is needed, runs a disciplined route, and doesn't run backwards.
[Reply]
bigjosh 02:36 PM 05-02-2021

[Reply]
JakeF 02:59 PM 05-02-2021
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Chris Conley upside. For a 6th rounder, Id be cool with that.
I want more than that. Conley hit his plateau way too quickly.
[Reply]
CasselGotPeedOn 03:04 PM 05-02-2021
Originally Posted by JakeF:
I want more than that. Conley hit his plateau way too quickly.
He's a 5th round pick, you're not gonna get more than that.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 03:16 PM 05-02-2021
Originally Posted by CasselGotPeedOn:
He's a 5th round pick, you're not gonna get more than that.
you absolutely might.

You might get an all-pro.

Or, you might get a guy that gets cut before the season starts.

That's the thing with 'upside' picks.

MAYBE you get a Conley level player.

If you take guys that are experienced and physically tapped out you know pretty much what you're getting. If you're taking guys that fell in the draft for reasons other than physical ability you're taking a chance that you can unlock their potential. All late round picks are not equal.

I like our coaching staff's odds more than most.

But it's still a crapshoot.
[Reply]
CasselGotPeedOn 03:58 PM 05-02-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
you absolutely might.

You might get an all-pro.

Or, you might get a guy that gets cut before the season starts.

That's the thing with 'upside' picks.

MAYBE you get a Conley level player.

If you take guys that are experienced and physically tapped out you know pretty much what you're getting. If you're taking guys that fell in the draft for reasons other than physical ability you're taking a chance that you can unlock their potential. All late round picks are not equal.

I like our coaching staff's odds more than most.

But it's still a crapshoot.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. But again he's a late 5th round pick. If he gives us what Conley did, we should all be happy.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 04:00 PM 05-02-2021
Originally Posted by CasselGotPeedOn:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. But again he's a late 5th round pick. If he gives us what Conley did, we should all be happy.
Totally; but I think it's more likely he's either a star or another like...Pringle.

The unique abilities he has are either going to translate and he'll be awesome, or they won't and he'll be just a guy.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 05:58 PM 05-02-2021
Dane Brugler’s analysis: A one-year starter at Clemson, Powell emerged as a starting outside receiver as a senior in offensive coordinator Tony Elliott’s shotgun spread scheme. Over his first four years on campus, he found himself buried on the depth chart (behind future NFL receivers like Mike Williams, Hunter Renfrow, Deon Cain, Tee Higgins and others), but he matured as a senior (Dabo Swinney: “Cornell’s worked his tail off and grown up”) and had a breakout season in 2020, joining Sammy Watkins and DeAndre Hopkins as the only players in school history with 150-plus receiving yards in back-to-back games. … Overall, Powell isn’t an explosive route runner, but he is a top-flight competitor with balanced athleticism and plus ball skills to make in-air adjustments look routine. He projects as a potential Mohamed Sanu-like weapon.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 06:20 PM 05-02-2021
If this guys can just get 600-800 yards and 4-8 TDs, then it’s a great pick. I think those are reasonable numbers.

Just don’t make the major errors: running backwards, fumbles, drops, penalties, wrong routes, etc.
[Reply]
Page 9 of 22
« First < 56789 1011121319 > Last »
Up