ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 22
« First < 34567 89101117 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*****The Cornell Powell Thread*****
Dante84 01:31 PM 05-01-2021
MY GUY!!!!!

More to come!

Originally Posted by :
Powell was a top-50 prospect nationally coming out of Greenville, North Carolina, but struggled during his first four years on campus to get playing time ahead of talented pass catchers Mike Williams, Tee Higgins, Justyn Ross, Hunter Renfrow, Deon Cain, Ray-Ray McCloud, Amari Rodgers, Artavis Scott and Diondre Overton (plus Jordan Leggett at tight end). He played in nine games as a reserve in 2016 (12 receptions, 87 yards, 7.3 average) and 14 games in 2017 (eight receptions, 57 yards, one touchdown, 7.1 average; three kick returns, 65 yards, 21.7 average). Powell redshirted his third year with the national-champion Tigers but played in four games (five receptions, 63 yards, 12.6 average; four kick returns, 117 yards, 29.3 average) as a backup while maintaining the year of eligibility. He was a larger part of Clemson's offense in 2019 (15 receptions, 122 yards, 8.1 average, two touchdowns). With Higgins off to the pros and Ross sidelined due to a spinal condition, Powell played well enough to earn third-team All-ACC honors (53 receptions, 882 yards, 16.6 average, seven touchdowns). He accepted an invitation to the Senior Bowl. -- by Chad Reuter

Overview
Unique evaluation as a wideout who came into the program as a four-star recruit, never beat out talent in front of him and then put together impressive tape in his single season as full-time starter. Powell is well-skilled beyond the career production as he's clearly taken in the coaching and learned from others at the position. He's smooth but will have to win with route polish and competitiveness as his long speed and separation burst appear to be very average, which could lead to a higher number of contested catches outside the Clemson offense. The tape is good but the testing will be important as teams grapple with the single season of production. Powell will be an NFL backup, at worst.
Strengths
  • Moves around the field with smooth gait.
  • Leverages route turns against tight man coverage.
  • Sneaky hand fighting to create separation.
  • Clears out catch space at the top of his routes.
  • Showed and proved as downfield ball-tracker and body-stacker.
  • Athletic in air with outstanding body control and catch instincts.
  • Plucks it at high-point and hides it away from swatting hands.
  • Plus hand-eye coordination through noisy catch-points.
  • Quarterback's friend with sudden but soft hands.
  • Will go get the football where it is thrown.
  • Gets run-ready even before completing hitch catch.
  • Not overly elusive but makes tacklers miss after catch.
  • Has ability as a stalk and wall-off blocker.
Weaknesses
  • Only one year over 15 catches and 125 yards in a season.
  • High-cut with limited wiggle in his movements.
  • Expect average release success against press.
  • Drive gear doesn't seem to generate panic in cornerbacks.
  • Route fakes lack salesmanship.
  • Below-average separation burst.
  • Route asks were rather basic at Clemson.
  • Dropped easy would-be touchdown catch headed into end zone against Virginia Tech.

.@CornellPowell17 is coming in to compete, and we simply can't wait! pic.twitter.com/45HcSEWAia

— Kansas City Chiefs (@Chiefs) May 2, 2021

[Reply]
Skyy God 05:58 PM 05-01-2021
I really like this pick.
[Reply]
ChiefsFanatic 06:17 PM 05-01-2021
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
Mahomes doesn't like it when the WR isn't where they are supposed to be.

What Pat wants, Pat gets.
Mahomes isn't a big fan of dropping passes that hit you in the face mask.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Dante84 06:19 PM 05-01-2021

Powell tallied four grabs of 50+ yards in 2020, recording at least one reception of 20+ yards in seven of his final eight games.

Enter Patrick Mahomes. This dude is gonna be a stud in KC. https://t.co/hk0dl3WmZ8

— Matt McMullen (@KCChiefs_Matt) May 2, 2021

[Reply]
Halfcan 06:46 PM 05-01-2021
Powell will put up better stats than Sammy did last year.
[Reply]
JakeF 06:46 PM 05-01-2021
It will be really nice to have a guy that can abuse smaller CBs now. I think Powell is also going to be one of our better route runners too. Also run blocking.

3 things that we have been forced to use Kelce for, now maybe we won't. The improvement in the offensive line and a legit possession receiver will hopefully allow us to turn Kelce loose. That's right, with as good as Kelce has been he's still been restricted by our offensive issues. :-)
[Reply]
ModSocks 06:46 PM 05-01-2021
Reminds me of Deebo Samuel.
[Reply]
Cosmos 06:54 PM 05-01-2021
A hands catcher...with 10 in. paws...

Love WR’s that don’t have to use their body to corral the ball.
[Reply]
Dante84 07:53 PM 05-01-2021

Just going to leave this here for Chiefs Kingdom. pic.twitter.com/wE9rWxefUY

— CHIEFS HIGHLIGHTS (@ChiefsHighlight) May 1, 2021

[Reply]
kccrow 09:19 PM 05-01-2021
Very happy with Powell at this stage of the draft. I said in the draft forum I'd really like him on day 3, so long as it isn't any earlier. Good developmental guy on an upward trend. Certainly has the chance to replace DRob in 2022.
[Reply]
BigChiefFan 09:24 PM 05-01-2021
Big upside prospect, who has a good shot of contributing going forward.
[Reply]
Mecca 09:27 PM 05-01-2021
Powell's career consists of playing with..Deshaun Watson, Trevor Lawrence, DJ Uiagaleilei and now Mahomes...I don't think a receiver could ask for better.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 09:28 PM 05-01-2021
I AM GAY

[Reply]
kccrow 09:45 PM 05-01-2021
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
I AM GAY
We know. We've always known.
[Reply]
Halfcan 09:48 PM 05-01-2021
Seems like a real steal for the CHiefs!
[Reply]
thabear04 09:56 PM 05-01-2021
Is it true he hasn’t had a carb since a decade?
[Reply]
Page 7 of 22
« First < 34567 89101117 > Last »
Up