ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 10 of 22
« First < 678910 1112131420 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*****The Cornell Powell Thread*****
Dante84 01:31 PM 05-01-2021
MY GUY!!!!!

More to come!

Originally Posted by :
Powell was a top-50 prospect nationally coming out of Greenville, North Carolina, but struggled during his first four years on campus to get playing time ahead of talented pass catchers Mike Williams, Tee Higgins, Justyn Ross, Hunter Renfrow, Deon Cain, Ray-Ray McCloud, Amari Rodgers, Artavis Scott and Diondre Overton (plus Jordan Leggett at tight end). He played in nine games as a reserve in 2016 (12 receptions, 87 yards, 7.3 average) and 14 games in 2017 (eight receptions, 57 yards, one touchdown, 7.1 average; three kick returns, 65 yards, 21.7 average). Powell redshirted his third year with the national-champion Tigers but played in four games (five receptions, 63 yards, 12.6 average; four kick returns, 117 yards, 29.3 average) as a backup while maintaining the year of eligibility. He was a larger part of Clemson's offense in 2019 (15 receptions, 122 yards, 8.1 average, two touchdowns). With Higgins off to the pros and Ross sidelined due to a spinal condition, Powell played well enough to earn third-team All-ACC honors (53 receptions, 882 yards, 16.6 average, seven touchdowns). He accepted an invitation to the Senior Bowl. -- by Chad Reuter

Overview
Unique evaluation as a wideout who came into the program as a four-star recruit, never beat out talent in front of him and then put together impressive tape in his single season as full-time starter. Powell is well-skilled beyond the career production as he's clearly taken in the coaching and learned from others at the position. He's smooth but will have to win with route polish and competitiveness as his long speed and separation burst appear to be very average, which could lead to a higher number of contested catches outside the Clemson offense. The tape is good but the testing will be important as teams grapple with the single season of production. Powell will be an NFL backup, at worst.
Strengths
  • Moves around the field with smooth gait.
  • Leverages route turns against tight man coverage.
  • Sneaky hand fighting to create separation.
  • Clears out catch space at the top of his routes.
  • Showed and proved as downfield ball-tracker and body-stacker.
  • Athletic in air with outstanding body control and catch instincts.
  • Plucks it at high-point and hides it away from swatting hands.
  • Plus hand-eye coordination through noisy catch-points.
  • Quarterback's friend with sudden but soft hands.
  • Will go get the football where it is thrown.
  • Gets run-ready even before completing hitch catch.
  • Not overly elusive but makes tacklers miss after catch.
  • Has ability as a stalk and wall-off blocker.
Weaknesses
  • Only one year over 15 catches and 125 yards in a season.
  • High-cut with limited wiggle in his movements.
  • Expect average release success against press.
  • Drive gear doesn't seem to generate panic in cornerbacks.
  • Route fakes lack salesmanship.
  • Below-average separation burst.
  • Route asks were rather basic at Clemson.
  • Dropped easy would-be touchdown catch headed into end zone against Virginia Tech.

.@CornellPowell17 is coming in to compete, and we simply can't wait! pic.twitter.com/45HcSEWAia

— Kansas City Chiefs (@Chiefs) May 2, 2021

[Reply]
penchief 06:34 PM 05-02-2021
I am optimistic about this one. After watching his highlight videos, it seems like he has that guile all good receivers have. Looks like a tough smart football player who gets the mental aspect of the game. I love Mecole and I don’t think he’s close to reaching his ceiling, but I think that this might be the missing piece of his game. Can you imagine Hardman’s skills combined with a tactician’s mind?
[Reply]
In58men 06:38 PM 05-02-2021
Reminds me of James Jones
[Reply]
Halfcan 07:00 PM 05-02-2021
Originally Posted by In58men:
Reminds me of James Jones
:-) Jones was a stud.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 08:38 PM 05-02-2021

@MecoleHardman4 https://t.co/5NZida9XeW pic.twitter.com/8v3AtbwKPd

— Patrick Mahomes II (@PatrickMahomes) May 3, 2021

[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 09:13 PM 05-02-2021
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
:-)

Holy SHIT! Fucking Patrick calling out Hardman not once, not twice but THREE TIMES!

I love that guy.
[Reply]
ThyKingdomCome15 09:27 PM 05-02-2021
Hardman and Patrick need to figure out their funky chemistry on the field.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 09:31 PM 05-02-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:

Holy SHIT! ****ing Patrick calling out Hardman not once, not twice but THREE TIMES!

I love that guy.
Powell's tweet shows him wearing #17, Hardman's number, is this what they are talking about?
[Reply]
staylor26 09:33 PM 05-02-2021
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
Powell's tweet shows him wearing #17, Hardman's number, is this what they are talking about?
Yes.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 09:43 PM 05-02-2021
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:

Powell looks better in 17 than Hardman.
[Reply]
Dante84 09:51 PM 05-02-2021
Hardman wants #4 but Henne is on the roster.
[Reply]
flinchfree 11:35 PM 05-02-2021
Number 8 would look stocky on Powell. 1+7.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 05:58 AM 05-03-2021

[Reply]
Dante84 09:26 AM 05-04-2021
Found some full game tapes - remember, these aren't highlights, but rather full game cut-ups.

[Reply]
RaidersOftheCellar 09:42 AM 05-04-2021
The only knock seems to be that he's not lightning quick, but he has the same 40 time as Antonio Brown.
[Reply]
Dante84 09:44 AM 05-04-2021
Also pretty crazy to think that in the games where blows up, a lot of the passes were from the (still good) backup QB.
[Reply]
Page 10 of 22
« First < 678910 1112131420 > Last »
Up