ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 19 of 172
« First < 91516171819 202122232969119 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>The Motorcycle Discussion Thread
Dayze 11:41 AM 06-07-2013
I figure there are some motorcycle guys/gals on CP, so I thought we could have a place to talk all things Motorcycles.

Tire Mount and Balance Prices (as of 10/29/16)

Prices based on if you remove the wheels yourself and bring the wheels and new tires with you:

Cycle Gear - $35 per wheel if you buy tires from them. $58 per wheel if you buy tires elsewhere
Rawhide - $65 per wheel (assuming it would be the same at other HD dealers. they book it at 1/2 hr per wheel)
C R Cycle Tires (DeSoto) - $30 per wheel

Cheapest I've found my Michelin Commander II's. Seem like they have good prices on other brands too.
http://www.jakewilson.com - Free 3 day shipping on orders over $75
[Reply]
Dayze 09:13 PM 09-16-2013
Originally Posted by User Name:
I have a Iron 883. I did forward controls and mini apes. I love mine. I know I could handle something bigger with ease, but that sporty is too fun. On the plus side, I've liked matte black before it was cool, so I didn't have to spring for a custom paint job.
Nice. Any other things you like or don't like about them?
[Reply]
User Name 09:21 PM 09-16-2013
The stock seat has to go. I'd almost say that should be done first. Fuel range is a downer when you're on a longer cruise with the bigger bikes. 3.3 gallons is not enough. Power is lacking, but you can do engine mods that would double stock horsepower for far less than the cost of a bigger bike. If its the style you're after, and I know I was, it's hard to beat without going full on custom.
[Reply]
Dayze 07:35 AM 09-17-2013
Cool; thanks dude.
[Reply]
Lzen 08:40 AM 09-17-2013
Those Nightsters look pretty cool. But what's up with the middle and bottom one having the tank go up at an extreme angle like that? Looks funky.
[Reply]
Lzen 08:44 AM 09-17-2013
Originally Posted by User Name:
The stock seat has to go. I'd almost say that should be done first. Fuel range is a downer when you're on a longer cruise with the bigger bikes. 3.3 gallons is not enough. Power is lacking, but you can do engine mods that would double stock horsepower for far less than the cost of a bigger bike. If its the style you're after, and I know I was, it's hard to beat without going full on custom.
My buddy has a V Rod and he's always needing to stop for gas way before I need it. He says it's a 5 gallon tank. :-) Good thing about a Harley (newer models), though, is that it displays how many miles you have left to go before you run out of gas once it hits 40 miles to go. Although I think that mile estimator is not completely accurate, at least it gives you an idea.
[Reply]
Phobia 08:49 AM 09-17-2013
Originally Posted by Dayze:
all gear, all the time. Not sure how Phobia's buddy went down, or if gear would've saved him etc.
the only thing one can control is how they ride, and riding with gear. beyond that....
He wore gear. He rode hard. Generally, the highway patrol indicates whether a high rate of speed was a contributing factor. They didn't in this case. But they also didn't indicate it was a motorcycle. Their official statement said that he hit the back of a trailer and was ejected from his vehicle where he died on the scene. I'm not sure how to read between the lines on that. Usually I can discern what an official statement means.
[Reply]
allen_kcCard 09:04 AM 09-17-2013
I'm not one to speculate on these much, a good person died and that is sad no matter what....but I would guess he had to have been hauling ass to not be able to stop in time. If the farmer was hauling a trailer, it takes a long time, comparatively speaking, to get a trailer with whatever is pulling it out into a road and turned to where he would have hit the back of it. A bike stops a hell of a lot faster than most vehicles as well.

Unless it was something like the farmer was driving on the side of the road and he was going to go around them, and then they suddenly pulled out into traffic or something.

Either way, sorry for this man's family and their loss, and I am sure that the farmer is in sore shape as well for having any role in it what so ever.
[Reply]
Phobia 09:06 AM 09-17-2013
Probably. Perhaps even very likely. I'm just confused by the HP statement or lack thereof. They're usually not shy about attributing something to high speed if that's what happened. His funeral is Thursday. Be my first funeral in 4 years. So I'm blessed in that regard.
[Reply]
Lzen 09:15 AM 09-17-2013
Originally Posted by allen_kcCard:
A bike stops a hell of a lot faster than most vehicles as well.
Not necessarily true. There is a lot of debate over this. It depends on many factors such as type of bike and weigh, rider skill, whether the vehicle has ABS, etc. According to the Kansas Motorcycle Handbook:

Originally Posted by :
FOLLOWING
ANOTHER

VEHICLE
“Following too closely” could
be a factor in crashes involving
motorcyclists. In traffic, motorcycles
need as much distance to stop as
cars. Normally,
a minimum of two
seconds
distance should be
maintained behind the vehicle ahead

[Reply]
Phobia 09:20 AM 09-17-2013
My understanding is that the vehicle pulled out in front of him. If he's going 70 MPH on 7 Hwy where the speed limit is 65, it's possible he couldn't get stopped or take evasive action. It doesn't really matter what happened though. He's gone and there's nothing anybody can do about it except maybe learn to be safer. I almost killed a kid in a mustang 2 saturdays ago. I was turning across traffic on a residential street, entering a neighborhood in my big ford. Mustang popped up over the hill cruising about 70 or better in a 35. Fortunately, he hit his brakes, skidded and managed to get over into the lane I vacated. Glad there was nobody behind me.
[Reply]
BIG_DADDY 09:48 AM 09-17-2013
Originally Posted by Lzen:
Not necessarily true. There is a lot of debate over this. It depends on many factors such as type of bike and weigh, rider skill, whether the vehicle has ABS, etc. According to the Kansas Motorcycle Handbook:
Ill tell you this much, the ZX14 stops WAYYYYYYYYYYYY faster than either of the last two Harleys I rode. Friggen day and night. Most high performance bikes stop pretty damn fast. More than likely he came around a corner and the farmer was there. They go down like flies on skyline from that and deer in the morning as well. I used to ride that road hard, not so much now. Truth be known riding is far and away the most selfish thing I do. Between skyline and 280 which is by far the fastest freeway here and loaded with traffic and San Francisco every weekday I log thousands of miles. I need to make a change soon and really dial it back. Riding Pescadero on weekends and maybe taking the bike in on really nice days is one thing but putting myself at risk daily like that with a 6 ear old is probably not the best. Every time I hear of another bike going down I rethink this even though I consider myself to be an outstanding rider.
[Reply]
Phobia 09:49 AM 09-17-2013
Your kid can not be 6 already, Troy.
[Reply]
BIG_DADDY 09:54 AM 09-17-2013
Originally Posted by Phobia:
Your kid can not be 6 already, Troy.
Yea, they grow up fast. HE is into his martial arts classes and rock climbing right now. I can't imagine leaving him because I am being a knucklehead. He is just getting old enough now to start liking football although it is pretty much about the Ducks when he does. Next year is probably a good time to introduce him to Arrowhead. Maybe I will take him down to SD for a game down there. Right now I am just making up for lost time when he was up north. Planning on taking him to Disneyland for Halloween. BTW we have a dirt bike that is a little big for him right now. He keeps getting trouble for jumping on it. I think I might have a rider on my hands.
[Reply]
stevieray 10:01 AM 09-17-2013
Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY:
Yea, they grow up fast. HE is into his martial arts classes and rock climbing right now. I can't imagine leaving him because I am being a knucklehead. He is just getting old enough now to start liking football although it is pretty much about the Ducks when he does. Next year is probably a good time to introduce him to Arrowhead. Maybe I will take him down to SD for a game down there. Right now I am just making up for lost time when he was up north. Planning on taking him to Disneyland for Halloween. BTW we have a dirt bike that is a little big for him right now. He keeps getting trouble for jumping on it. I think I might have a rider on my hands.
dirt is absolutely where he shoud learn to ride a bike...sold my supersport..still miss it to this day.

six? wow!
[Reply]
Dayze 10:16 AM 09-17-2013
Originally Posted by Lzen:
Those Nightsters look pretty cool. But what's up with the middle and bottom one having the tank go up at an extreme angle like that? Looks funky.
tank raise kit. probably 2".

makes it look like an old school bobber / chopper.
especially with the mini-apes
[Reply]
Page 19 of 172
« First < 91516171819 202122232969119 > Last »
Up