Page 15 of 37
« First < 51112131415 1617181925 > Last »
Media Center>Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Hammock Parties 01:46 PM 12-10-2007
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

*NERDGASM*

[Reply]
irishjayhawk 08:06 PM 05-21-2008
In fact, the more I think about it, the more I realize how crappy it really was. I laughed out loud at least 7 times at how bad it was or how the story was going.

On another note, my manager who loved Pirates 2 and 3 (I hated them and still think the Original is the only TRUE pirates :-) ) and who I thought would LOVE this surprised me and said she thought it was "horrible". Not that it means anything.
[Reply]
Bill S Preston 08:18 PM 05-21-2008
Originally Posted by irishjayhawk:
The sad thing is I knew it would be a bad comparison because of how many people loved the garbage that LFDH was.

That said, both were "fun" watches. They just sucked.

And for comparison, I loved Transformers.

I hated Transformers.:-)
[Reply]
irishjayhawk 08:33 PM 05-21-2008
I forgot to add that the Eagle Eye trailer looked really good.

Of course, so did the Dark Knight and Walle trailers. :-)
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 01:21 AM 05-22-2008
The movie was badass, but Labouf was sorely miscast though. No way in hell he could pull of that role
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 01:51 AM 05-22-2008
It was a good movie.

It was a mediocre Indiana Jones movie. In fact, what it really felt like was a live-action Indiana Jones cartoon. And I'm not talking about the CGI.

The film had very little serious tone. I never felt anyone was in any real danger. There was no one for Indy to rescue, really. This was present in all three of the other films in some way.

I only felt tension in the warehouse scene and in the
Spoiler!

Part of the reason for that is the John Williams score absolutely SUCKED. I barely noticed. It honestly sounded better on the album than laid in on the soundtrack. He's completely lost his touch.

It didn't feel real or gritty or serious at all like any of the other three. Even Temple of Doom, which was shot on a ton of soundstages.

The
Spoiler!
thing at the end was WAY over the top.

On a positive note, I loved the warehouse scene and the stuff in the graveyard. The humor was pretty good, and I enjoyed all of the acting, especially Cate Blanchett and John Hurt. Karen Allen was fine, although yes, underused. She felt like Marion, though. The action scenes were pretty good, although the thing with
Spoiler!
was ****ing stupid.

The jungle stuff was way over CGI'd, especially on the cliff. It didn't feel real at all, which of course the truck chase in Raiders did (because it WAS).

And the
Spoiler!
at the end made me puke. Although the hat thing was extremely cute.

Also, loved Lucas'
Spoiler!
Classic Lucas.

In short, as a movie, 8 out of 10, as it had a good plot, good script, good acting and entertained the hell out of me.

As an Indiana Jones movie, 5.5 out of 10.

Now let the franchise ****ing die.

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 02:37 AM 05-22-2008
gochiefs, what did you think of Lebouf's performance?

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Hammock Parties 02:40 AM 05-22-2008
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
gochiefs, what did you think of Lebouf's performance?
I had no problems with it. He did a fine job.

In fact, I loved the scene where
Spoiler!
[Reply]
irishjayhawk 02:43 AM 05-22-2008
Originally Posted by GOATSE:
It was a good movie.

It was a mediocre Indiana Jones movie. In fact, what it really felt like was a live-action Indiana Jones cartoon. And I'm not talking about the CGI.

The film had very little serious tone. I never felt anyone was in any real danger. There was no one for Indy to rescue, really. This was present in all three of the other films in some way.

I only felt tension in the warehouse scene and in the
Spoiler!

Part of the reason for that is the John Williams score absolutely SUCKED. I barely noticed. It honestly sounded better on the album than laid in on the soundtrack. He's completely lost his touch.

It didn't feel real or gritty or serious at all like any of the other three. Even Temple of Doom, which was shot on a ton of soundstages.

The
Spoiler!
thing at the end was WAY over the top.

On a positive note, I loved the warehouse scene and the stuff in the graveyard. The humor was pretty good, and I enjoyed all of the acting, especially Cate Blanchett and John Hurt. Karen Allen was fine, although yes, underused. She felt like Marion, though. The action scenes were pretty good, although the thing with
Spoiler!
was ****ing stupid.

The jungle stuff was way over CGI'd, especially on the cliff. It didn't feel real at all, which of course the truck chase in Raiders did (because it WAS).

And the
Spoiler!
at the end made me puke. Although the hat thing was extremely cute.

Also, loved Lucas'
Spoiler!
Classic Lucas.

In short, as a movie, 8 out of 10, as it had a good plot, good script, good acting and entertained the hell out of me.

As an Indiana Jones movie, 5.5 out of 10.

Now let the franchise ****ing die.

Spoiler!
You're pointing out the same things I would have yet saying it was a really good movie.

I can see a difference between it being a good movie and being a good IJ movie. But I think you're dead wrong that it was a good film by itself.
[Reply]
irishjayhawk 02:43 AM 05-22-2008
I had no problems with it. He did a fine job.

In fact, I loved the scene where
Spoiler!
Yeah, he was fine.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 02:52 AM 05-22-2008
Originally Posted by irishjayhawk:
You're pointing out the same things I would have yet saying it was a really good movie.
Well, that's my take. It's a good movie. The script has no real problems, the plot is good and engaging, the action sequences are great, the acting is solid, and it has tons of humor.

But it has problems that prevent it from being a good INDIANA JONES movie. You can't have a "meh" soundtrack in an INDIANA JONES movie. You can't have a lack of gritty realism in an INDIANA JONES movie. You can't have
Spoiler!
in an INDIANA JONES movie.

It has to feel real. When INDIANA JONES stuck his whip in a crevice under that truck in Raiders, let the slack go and started getting dragged over gravel while his pants got shredded, THAT FELT REAL. When INDIANA JONES rolled bridge ropes around his pants and snarled the line "MOLA RAM? PREPARE TO MEET KALI! IN HELL!" and then savagely brought his sword down on the bridge, THAT FELT REAL. When INDIANA JONES spurred on his black horse side by side with a nazi tank and shoved ****ing rocks in the barrell, THAT FELT REAL.

Nothing felt quite so real, intense or visceral in this. It was almost like they added too much lens flare in photoshop, if you know what I mean. And everyone seemed too busy trying to crack jokes or make a slapstick violence move, rather than just letting the nazi get his face pulped by the flying wing's propellor blade.

This was Saturday morning cartoon Indiana Jones. They wouldn't dare melt a guy's face
Spoiler!

In short - MY AVATAR WAS MISSING FROM THE SPIRIT OF THE MOVIE.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 02:55 AM 05-22-2008
But, what I'm trying to say is, it wasn't a totally putrid piece of cinema like Attack of the Clones. That had almost zero merit. The film I saw tonight was a technically sound motion picture. It was entertaining.

But it felt like it should have starred Brendan Fraser and company, not Harrison Ford. My enjoyment was hollow.

Oh well. When was the last time Spielberg and Lucas made something that even approached their 80's magnificence?
[Reply]
irishjayhawk 03:01 AM 05-22-2008
Well, that's my take. It's a good movie. The script has no real problems, the plot is good and engaging, the action sequences are great, the acting is solid, and it has tons of humor.

But it has problems that prevent it from being a good INDIANA JONES movie. You can't have a "meh" soundtrack in an INDIANA JONES movie. You can't have a lack of gritty realism in an INDIANA JONES movie. You can't have
Spoiler!
in an INDIANA JONES movie.

It has to feel real. When INDIANA JONES stuck his whip in a crevice under that truck in Raiders, let the slack go and started getting dragged over gravel while his pants got shredded, THAT FELT REAL. When INDIANA JONES rolled bridge ropes around his pants and snarled the line "MOLA RAM? PREPARE TO MEET KALI! IN HELL!" and then savagely brought his sword down on the bridge, THAT FELT REAL. When INDIANA JONES spurred on his black horse side by side with a nazi tank and shoved ****ing rocks in the barrell, THAT FELT REAL.

Nothing felt quite so real, intense or visceral in this. It was almost like they added too much lens flare in photoshop, if you know what I mean. And everyone seemed too busy trying to crack jokes or make a slapstick violence move, rather than just letting the nazi get his face pulped by the flying wing's propellor blade.

This was Saturday morning cartoon Indiana Jones. They wouldn't dare melt a guy's face
Spoiler!

In short - MY AVATAR WAS MISSING FROM THE SPIRIT OF THE MOVIE.
I don't mean to tell you your an idiot for having that take, to be sure.

And I agree with most of it. It didn't feel right.

However, I thought the script was shit. From the
Spoiler!

Now, the acting was good except for Allen. I don't know why, she just annoyed me. And it was entertaining but for me the entertainment was more in the comedy range because of how laughable some of that stuff was.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 03:06 AM 05-22-2008
That's why it felt more like a Mummy film. They have all that dumb, but entertaining crap in the Mummy. It fits there.

This was sort of like taking the awesomesauce of Aliens and Predator, and mashing them together to make AvP.

AvP was good. I found it entertaining. But it didn't have the same "serious" feel of Aliens or Predator, or an ounce of the grit.

That was really fine with me, because they didn't put Dutch or Ripley or Hicks or anyone like that in AvP. They just had Aliens and Predators. Those are throwaway characters. I was just there to see Aliens and Predators rip shit apart, which is a ****ing good time.

But Indy is different. Indy deserves to be in a quasi-realistic setting, not
Spoiler!
Save that shit for The Mummy.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:14 AM 05-22-2008
That's why it felt more like a Mummy film. They have all that dumb, but entertaining crap in the Mummy. It fits there.

This was sort of like taking the awesomesauce of Aliens and Predator, and mashing them together to make AvP.

AvP was good. I found it entertaining. But it didn't have the same "serious" feel of Aliens or Predator, or an ounce of the grit.

That was really fine with me, because they didn't put Dutch or Ripley or Hicks or anyone like that in AvP. They just had Aliens and Predators. Those are throwaway characters. I was just there to see Aliens and Predators rip shit apart, which is a ****ing good time.

But Indy is different. Indy deserves to be in a quasi-realistic setting, not
Spoiler!
Save that shit for The Mummy.
I haven't seen the film (due to extenuating circumstances) and will probably have to wait until it hits DVD (unless somehow, I can conjure up some time to get away).

That being said, "The Mummy" in my opinion was a blast. Great special effects (ILM), great casting and a well written script. Stephen Sommers is/was a George Lucas protege' for years and obviously learned a great deal from him and knew how to utilize that knowledge (which isn't as easy as it sounds, for obvious reasons).

I'm sure I'll enjoy it for "what it is" but Lucas did try to warn people months ago by proclaiming "It's just a movie".

I think he learned his lesson from the prequels about expectations. Unfortunately, Spielberg (and I had a feeling about this, due to his work over the last decade) was the wrong director.

As far as a "money grab", these guys are worth billions, just from making movies. I don't think there's any way in the freakin' world that they did it for money.

They did it for fun.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 03:18 AM 05-22-2008
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
That being said, "The Mummy" in my opinion was a blast. Great special effects (ILM), great casting and a well written script. Stephen Sommers is/was a George Lucas protege' for years and obviously learned a great deal from him and knew how to utilize that knowledge (which isn't as easy as it sounds, for obvious reasons).
I loved the Mummy. Hell, Mummy Returns was a blast.

I just don't want to see Indiana Jones riding in a jet-powered balloon, you get my drift?
[Reply]
Page 15 of 37
« First < 51112131415 1617181925 > Last »
Up