ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 41 of 51
« First < 313738394041 42434445 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official 2021 Major League Baseball Playoff Repository Thread***
Coach 05:56 PM 10-05-2021

Schedule of the MLB 2021 Playoffs can be found below:
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/2...ild-card-game/
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 10:23 PM 10-30-2021
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
WTF, the guy is out of the game after a strikeout and a walk? Maybe he was hurt? Was walking a guy seriously frowned upon in the time?

The pitcher, Curly Ogden, was born in Ogden, PA. That's how long ago that game was played, his parents probably founded the town.

And games only lasted 3 hours back then... can you imagine?!?
I remember reading about the game once. I believe it was part of a strategy to ensure that the Giants would adjust their lineup to put in mostly lefties. Then the Senators brought in a lefty to capitalize.

Bucky "The Boy Wonder" Harris at only 27 years young outmaneuvered the old legend John McGraw managing his last World Series game.

And the game was decided in extra innings when a groundball hit a pebble and bounced over the third baseman's head to score the winning run for Washington. Legend has it that the ball hit the same pebble that a previous grounder hit.

Supposedly there is some video of the game. I wish we had more. Walter Johnson in the Twilight of his career came on in relief and obtained the win.
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 10:28 PM 10-30-2021
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kUX9QZo_jX8

Video of the Game 7 of the 1924 World Series.

https://sabr.org/gamesproj/game/octo...st-one-of-all/

This recap also explains why the starting pitcher only lasted 1/3 inning.
[Reply]
Simply Red 10:35 PM 10-30-2021
Originally Posted by TomBarndtsTwin:
Charlie Morton would be nice to have about right now for Game 5.

They seem to have some good juju on their side going right now so hopefully it can hold together for one more game.

Amazing how that All-World Houston offense isn’t so great playing in Atlanta versus that bandbox park they normally play in.

Go figure.
Hell yeah Tom!
[Reply]
Wisconsin_Chief 10:50 PM 10-30-2021
Honestly can’t believe I’m saying it, but this Braves WS feels way more magical than KC’s Super Bowl season. Always thought I was a football fan above all, but wow this is pure magic. This team is unreal. My 10 year old self says I’m happy.
[Reply]
Bearcat 09:29 AM 10-31-2021
Originally Posted by Coach:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curly_Ogden
Originally Posted by Carr4MVP:
I remember reading about the game once. I believe it was part of a strategy to ensure that the Giants would adjust their lineup to put in mostly lefties. Then the Senators brought in a lefty to capitalize.

Bucky "The Boy Wonder" Harris at only 27 years young outmaneuvered the old legend John McGraw managing his last World Series game.

And the game was decided in extra innings when a groundball hit a pebble and bounced over the third baseman's head to score the winning run for Washington. Legend has it that the ball hit the same pebble that a previous grounder hit.

Supposedly there is some video of the game. I wish we had more. Walter Johnson in the Twilight of his career came on in relief and obtained the win.
That makes more sense and at least the guy could say he started a World Series game. Funny how they stormed the field at the end, given how fans dressed back in the day in suits and top hats and what not.
[Reply]
WilliamTheIrish 10:02 AM 10-31-2021
Tonight, under a full moon in game 4 of the 2015 WS, Daniel Murphy, playing 2B for the Mets, who usually bought his fielding gloves at the local scrap yard, made this critical misplay. If you listen closely, you can hear the the sound "CLANK" as the balls goes off his glove.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOcrUFo9EKQ

Of course, he was not alone in the "Oops I'm an incredible dummy" department.

Yoenis Cespides, representing the tying run at 1st, and perhaps blinded in the moment by the overuse of gold chains, and refusing to just give the goat horns to Murphy, has trouble remembering how many outs there are in bottom of the 9th inning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOcrUFo9EKQ

Denny Mathews said after the double play

"And the Royals now have a choke hold on the series".
[Reply]
Bearcat 10:23 AM 10-31-2021
You pasted the same YouTube link twice, but here's the bottom of the 9th... what a brain fart to end a WS game. :-)

[Reply]
Coach 10:30 AM 10-31-2021
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
You pasted the same YouTube link twice, but here's the bottom of the 9th... what a brain fart to end a WS game. :-)

I'll always laugh at this image.
Attached: Capture.PNG (351.2 KB) 
[Reply]
WilliamTheIrish 10:32 AM 10-31-2021
Originally Posted by Coach:
I'll always laugh at this image.
That is the quintessential Queens, NY face.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 11:03 AM 10-31-2021
Honestly, sometimes I wonder if Yoenis Cespedes was the factor that put the Royals over the top that series. It’s hard to understate how bad he was throughout it.

His flub in Game 1, him coming off the bag plus his misplay of the ball in centerfield that gave Salvy a double in Game 4 AND his AB in Game 5 with the bases loaded no out while he couldn’t walk all were just huge moments that swung to the Royals.

Cespedes’ Game 1, Game 4 defense and his Game 5 issues could also be placed directly at Collins’ feet. There was zero reason to start him at center when he had a gold glover (Lagares) available but Collins kept folding to Ces insisting he was a CF (just like he did to Harvey later in the series).

What I admire about Yost is that Cueto wanted to finish Game 5 against the Stros but Yost held firm. In the World Series Yost had Davis warming up to finish Game 2, but decided to let Cueto finish if the Royals went up by 5 or more. For all the flack Yost got in his career, he managed circles around Collins that series and it helped bring us a title.
[Reply]
WilliamTheIrish 11:30 AM 10-31-2021
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
Honestly, sometimes I wonder if Yoenis Cespedes was the factor that put the Royals over the top that series. It’s hard to understate how bad he was throughout it.

His flub in Game 1, him coming off the bag plus his misplay of the ball in centerfield that gave Salvy a double in Game 4 AND his AB in Game 5 with the bases loaded no out while he couldn’t walk all were just huge moments that swung to the Royals.

Cespedes’ Game 1, Game 4 defense and his Game 5 issues could also be placed directly at Collins’ feet. There was zero reason to start him at center when he had a gold glover (Lagares) available but Collins kept folding to him (just like he did to Harvey later in the series).

What I admire about Yost is that Cueto wanted to finish Game 5 against the Stros but Yost held firm. In the World Series Yost had Davis warming up to finish Game 2, but decided to let Cueto finish if the Royals went up by 5 or more. For all the flack Yost got in his career, he managed circles around Collins that series and it helped bring us a title.
That game 5 bases loaded AB after fouling the pitch off his knee was huge. Collins should have taken him out.

Same for Harvey. And while Ned was not a wunderkind, he was managing that series with a felt tip sharpie compared Collins using a 64 set of Crayolas.
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 01:07 PM 10-31-2021
I'm gonna need the Braves to finish this off tonight because I don't want to have to make a choice between this and the Chiefs game tomorrow.
[Reply]
Frazod 01:15 PM 10-31-2021
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx:
I'm gonna need the Braves to finish this off tonight because I don't want to have to make a choice between this and the Chiefs game tomorrow.
If the Asstros win tonight, Monday will be a travel day. You're good.
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 01:28 PM 10-31-2021
Originally Posted by Frazod:
If the Asstros win tonight, Monday will be a travel day. You're good.
Oh shit, that is right! w00t!
[Reply]
Frazod 01:38 PM 10-31-2021
Let’s just hope they don’t win. I’d be very happy if it all ended tonight.
[Reply]
Page 41 of 51
« First < 313738394041 42434445 > Last »
Up