ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 31 of 31
« First < 212728293031
Nzoner's Game Room>ESPN insider names Texans LT Laremy Tunsil as Chiefs trade target
Direckshun 01:43 PM 03-12-2023
Didn’t see it posted.

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2023...laremy-tunsil/

ESPN insider names Texans LT Laremy Tunsil as Chiefs trade target

Could the Kansas City Chiefs go back to the trade market to find their left tackle of the future? One ESPN insider is watching a particular player closely if that’s the case.

ESPN’s Dan Graziano recently helped compile some last-minute free agency and trade buzz with the NFL’s legal tampering period kicking off at noon tomorrow. He mentioned that Houston Texans LT Laremy Tunsil could be a trade target for Kansas City if they’re unable to get a long-term deal done with Orlando Brown Jr. ahead of Monday.

Check it out:

Originally Posted by :
“One potential trade target I’m watching is Houston left tackle Laremy Tunsil. The Texans have resisted trading him in recent years, but he has just one year and a nonguaranteed $18.5 million left on his contract and could be a target of the Chiefs if they aren’t able to bring back Orlando Brown Jr.”
What would need to happen for a trade to materialize?

First, Houston would need to decide that they did not want to pay Tunsil a long-term contract extension. That would be a bold move considering they’re expected to draft a rookie quarterback and nothing is better for a rookie quarterback than an established left tackle.

Second, the two sides would have to agree on trade compensation. Would the Chiefs really be willing to potentially give up a first-round draft pick in 2023 (and potentially more) for Tunsil when they’re hosting the draft in Kansas City?

Next up, the Chiefs and Tunsil’s representation would need to first agree to a contract extension that would lower his 2023 salary cap hit. Right now, his cap hit would put the team over the cap.

Finally, Kansas City must view Tunsil as their “long-term solution” at left tackle. Will they envision him as such when he’ll be 29 years old in Week 1 of 2023? There is certainly nothing wrong with his ability — in three of the past four seasons, he’s been among PFF’s highest-graded pass-blocking offensive tackles. They should have no problem paying for that production, but would it be for more than one contract? It’s hard to say. When you draft a rookie in the first round, you get five years of control (fifth-year option), plus a likely sixth year of control through the franchise tag. Then you have the potential of re-signing that player to a long-term deal afterward.

There are certainly benefits to trading for Tunsil, but given what we’re hearing about what the Chiefs want out of the left tackle position this offseason, a trade might not be the route they take.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 04:31 PM 03-19-2023
Originally Posted by kccrow:
After signing Omenihu, the need at ER is much less than it was. We need another player at least but not necessarily an immediate starter. I don't know that the Chiefs will go that way in the 1st even if they don't trade up for an OT or WR.

As for trading up, what I've been seeing is that people are enamored with "don't trade multiple 1s" but then the reality is we're 1 pick removed from saying we're giving up multiple 2's. It's not like we're giving up two top-15 picks anymore. If Veach wants it, he should go up and get it.

There has been communication with Houston, so I'm guessing they also discussed the cost to move to #12...

I'd guess it's:
#1-31, #2-63, #3-95, #6-207, 2024-1
for
#1-12, #3-73

I'd do that for Broderick Jones.

With 73, you could move back up into the 60's for a 4th and high 6th probably. So, if there's a guy you feel like you're missing out on then go back up and get him. We have a lot of picks, and not a lot of holes.

If you can fix LT for 5 years and have RT locked down with Taylor for 4... Man, that's pretty good.

I won't pound the table for it to happen, but it's something that would make some sense to me. If not, I have other thoughts at 31.
Yikes. Hard pass for me.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 04:59 PM 03-19-2023
Originally Posted by Balto:
Reports are that Veach actually offered more than the 9ers did for Silverback but he picked to stay in the bay and not win a ring.
FYP
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 05:49 PM 03-19-2023
Originally Posted by ThyKingdomCome15:
It was a fun conversation and one worth entertaining. The smoke was real, Veach scoped it out. After signing Taylor there was no way we were going to trade for Tunsil. I believe Taylor was Plan C after Orlando and Tunsil. Veach works fast.

In the end we saved a lot of money and draft capitol by not moving on Tunsil.
I really think the plan with Taylor was to bring in a guy who could play left or right tackle, which gives you the flexibility to find a left or right tackle via free agency or draft. It means you still shoot for a tunsil but no need to panic. It also means you can draft a RT or LT… which ever feels like better value
[Reply]
dlphg9 07:21 PM 03-19-2023
Taylor is playing LT. They're not gonna put a rookie in at LT. Tunsil was literally never gonna happen. Plus the Chiefs aren't setting the fucking market at RT. That's ridiculous.
[Reply]
Page 31 of 31
« First < 212728293031
Up