ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 31
< 12 345612 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>ESPN insider names Texans LT Laremy Tunsil as Chiefs trade target
Direckshun 01:43 PM 03-12-2023
Didn’t see it posted.

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2023...laremy-tunsil/

ESPN insider names Texans LT Laremy Tunsil as Chiefs trade target

Could the Kansas City Chiefs go back to the trade market to find their left tackle of the future? One ESPN insider is watching a particular player closely if that’s the case.

ESPN’s Dan Graziano recently helped compile some last-minute free agency and trade buzz with the NFL’s legal tampering period kicking off at noon tomorrow. He mentioned that Houston Texans LT Laremy Tunsil could be a trade target for Kansas City if they’re unable to get a long-term deal done with Orlando Brown Jr. ahead of Monday.

Check it out:

Originally Posted by :
“One potential trade target I’m watching is Houston left tackle Laremy Tunsil. The Texans have resisted trading him in recent years, but he has just one year and a nonguaranteed $18.5 million left on his contract and could be a target of the Chiefs if they aren’t able to bring back Orlando Brown Jr.”
What would need to happen for a trade to materialize?

First, Houston would need to decide that they did not want to pay Tunsil a long-term contract extension. That would be a bold move considering they’re expected to draft a rookie quarterback and nothing is better for a rookie quarterback than an established left tackle.

Second, the two sides would have to agree on trade compensation. Would the Chiefs really be willing to potentially give up a first-round draft pick in 2023 (and potentially more) for Tunsil when they’re hosting the draft in Kansas City?

Next up, the Chiefs and Tunsil’s representation would need to first agree to a contract extension that would lower his 2023 salary cap hit. Right now, his cap hit would put the team over the cap.

Finally, Kansas City must view Tunsil as their “long-term solution” at left tackle. Will they envision him as such when he’ll be 29 years old in Week 1 of 2023? There is certainly nothing wrong with his ability — in three of the past four seasons, he’s been among PFF’s highest-graded pass-blocking offensive tackles. They should have no problem paying for that production, but would it be for more than one contract? It’s hard to say. When you draft a rookie in the first round, you get five years of control (fifth-year option), plus a likely sixth year of control through the franchise tag. Then you have the potential of re-signing that player to a long-term deal afterward.

There are certainly benefits to trading for Tunsil, but given what we’re hearing about what the Chiefs want out of the left tackle position this offseason, a trade might not be the route they take.
[Reply]
The Franchise 01:58 PM 03-12-2023
I'd be interested to see what Tunsil wants since he's said that he wants to "reset the LT market".
[Reply]
Skyy God 01:58 PM 03-12-2023
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
So when he got traded back in 2019, he (along with Kenny Stills and some bullshit) cost two 1st round picks and a 2nd.

He's now 4 years older, has a larger cap hit and is going to need a new high end deal. Not sure he's worth anywhere close to what he was back in 2019.
That trade was also a full retard BOB special.
[Reply]
Direckshun 01:58 PM 03-12-2023
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
if we really are trading for tunsil it's because they don't like any of the OTs in the first or second round

in that event you're pretty much left with only one option and you gotta rip the bandaid off
There are LT options but they’re out of reach.
[Reply]
staylor26 01:59 PM 03-12-2023
It's interesting even though I find it hard to believe, but there's definitely some smoke.
[Reply]
Direckshun 01:59 PM 03-12-2023
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
I'd be interested to see what Tunsil wants since he's said that he wants to "reset the LT market".
He takes the Brown deal, I think.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 02:00 PM 03-12-2023
Between the Chris jones restructure and not at least tagging obj (they’d rather have money available instead) seems to indicate we’re trying to immediately free up space to make some moves. This would certainly make sense.
[Reply]
BWillie 02:00 PM 03-12-2023
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
PFF says he has slipped in run blocking but he’s elite in pass blocking:
Absolutely perfect fit but would be interested in what the logistics of getting him would be and what he would get paid. Any experts out there know the contract situation for him if he were to get traded to KC
[Reply]
staylor26 02:01 PM 03-12-2023
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
Between the Chris jones restructure and not at least tagging obj (they’d rather have money available instead) seems to indicate we’re trying to immediately free up space to make some moves. This would certainly make sense.
Everything the Chiefs have done screams that a big move is coming IMO.
[Reply]
LoneWolf 02:02 PM 03-12-2023
Trade for Tunsil using next years 1st, let Niang and a mid round pick this year fight it out for the RT spot, and position ourselves to draft John Alt’s son in 2 years where you can play him at RT until Tunsil’s extended contract runs out.
[Reply]
The Franchise 02:03 PM 03-12-2023
Originally Posted by LoneWolf:
Trade for Tunsil using next years 1st, let Niang and a mid round pick this year right it out for the RT spot, and position ourselves to draft John Alt’s son in 2 years where you can play him at RT until Tunsil’s extended contract runs out.
I go back and forth on compensation. Would the Texans take a 2nd this year and a 2nd next year? They can get their QB at #2 and still get a top LT at #12. Plus they'd have two 2nd round picks to add more talent.
[Reply]
Eleazar 02:06 PM 03-12-2023
He takes the Brown deal, I think.
Upgrading Brown for the same contract would be nice, but I wonder why Tunsil would accept that deal when there’ll be a big market for him - guys like that just don’t become available very often. He’ll say he’s better than Trent Williams and younger and that deal is 2 years old, I should get a lot more.

The contract and trade cost seem likely to be high, and it also involves a bet that a guy who will turn 30 before the season can still turn in 3-4 years of elite production and stay healthy, which he hasn’t always.

I’m not against it, just concerned about the costs.
[Reply]
Direckshun 02:08 PM 03-12-2023
Originally Posted by Razaele:
Upgrading Brown for the same contract would be nice, but I wonder why Tunsil would accept that deal when there’ll be a big market for him - guys like that just don’t become available very often. He’ll say he’s better than Trent Williams and younger and that deal is 2 years old, I should get a lot more.

The contract and trade cost seem likely to be high, and it also involves a bet that a guy who will turn 30 before the season can still turn in 3-4 years of elite production and stay healthy, which he hasn’t always.

I’m not against it, just concerned about the costs.
He’s not a free agent. The decision is the Texans’ to make.
[Reply]
Eleazar 02:09 PM 03-12-2023
He’s not a free agent. The decision is the Texans’ to make.
Yes, but one would assume they might listen to offers other than ours and so might he.
[Reply]
ThyKingdomCome15 02:16 PM 03-12-2023
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
the deal is done

Dayum... :-)

I'll take Tunsil over Brown for sure and pay him close to what Brown wanted. He actually is a premium pass protector, not merely solid.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 02:18 PM 03-12-2023
Chiefs would want to know if Tunsil would extend on team-friendly deal before giving more assets here.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 31
< 12 345612 > Last »
Up