Page 899 of 934
« First < 399799849889895896897898899 900901902903909 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
Buehler445 07:38 AM 03-18-2023
Originally Posted by petegz28:
I am not sure I agree with that. My Wife does IRA administration, I will hit her up on that but as far as I know, you have 60 days to get the money rolled over and any tax you owe can get paid when you file your taxes. Just like any other time your tax return says you owe. Maybe it's this 90% thing you are talking about....
Dude.

It has nothing to do with the IRA. The IRA Conversion just creates income. Forget the IRA.

If you're single, but you mark down you're married and have 400 kids on your W-4 and you don't withhold enough, there will be an underpayment penalty.

I did a return that had a guy that got a bunch of ESPP stock that he sold, with the runup he had a pretty big gain. Him and his Wife both had W-2 earnings, with withholdings, but he was underwithheld because the stock sale had no withholdings. So he had an underpayment penalty.

But if you have a bunch of income that doesn't have withholding against it, you either need to make an estimate or pay an underpayment tax.

Seriously. Read the link I posted.
[Reply]
lewdog 07:26 AM 03-21-2023
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Dude.

It has nothing to do with the IRA. The IRA Conversion just creates income. Forget the IRA.

If you're single, but you mark down you're married and have 400 kids on your W-4 and you don't withhold enough, there will be an underpayment penalty.

I did a return that had a guy that got a bunch of ESPP stock that he sold, with the runup he had a pretty big gain. Him and his Wife both had W-2 earnings, with withholdings, but he was underwithheld because the stock sale had no withholdings. So he had an underpayment penalty.

But if you have a bunch of income that doesn't have withholding against it, you either need to make an estimate or pay an underpayment tax.

Seriously. Read the link I posted.
So if I do this conversion but increase my withholdings for the rest of the year, can I avoid paying estimated taxes that way?
[Reply]
Rain Man 08:35 AM 03-21-2023
Originally Posted by lewdog:
So if I do this conversion but increase my withholdings for the rest of the year, can I avoid paying estimated taxes that way?
Yep.
[Reply]
scho63 01:31 PM 03-21-2023
I'm thinking of doing a ROTH conversion in my wife's IRA account. It's roughly $20k so I'd have to pay taxes on it. Still seems worth it right and would I have to pay estimated taxes on that or can I just roll it into next year's taxes?
I think they changed the rules back in 2017 going FROM a Roth IRA.

Better check with accountant. :-)
[Reply]
Buehler445 03:43 PM 03-21-2023
Should.
[Reply]
threebag 04:00 PM 03-21-2023
Best investment all year was selling 90 round bales at $100 a pop. :-)
[Reply]
lewdog 06:00 PM 03-21-2023
Originally Posted by scho63:
I think they changed the rules back in 2017 going FROM a Roth IRA.

Better check with accountant. :-)
Buehler is my accountant, which is why I post all this stuff on CP.
[Reply]
lewdog 09:34 AM 04-22-2023
5 year lookback on the S&P 500 on a weekly chart. The drop from the highs of early 2022 don't look so bad if you have made sure to invest steadily over time. It's important to not lose sight. And every time you get a raise, make sure to increase your contribution rate. I am "younger" so my favorite index funds to invest in are VOO and VXF.

[Reply]
Rain Man 04:45 PM 05-03-2023
I'm officially annoyed. Some company came in and stole a good stock from me.

ATCO (don't bother looking it up because it's gone now) is a shipping company. It was a great stock. I was getting decent returns and a good dividend that added up to notable low-key success. It was one of my largest holdings and was definitely a keeper.

I was doing a checkup and realized that it was no longer in my portfolio. Some stupid company bought them out and the board of directors voted for it, and apparently that gave the new company the right to go into my personal account and sell the shares.

I understand the mechanics - as a shareholder I could have voted against the purchase with my 0.0000001 percent holdings of the company. The big fish voted for it and therefore my stock is gone. But man, something seems really wrong about a company that I've never heard of being able to order my personal account to sell the stock without my permission or knowledge. If you look at it logically, they said, "we think this stock is worth more than the market, so let's take it from all of the small shareholders so we can make the money on it instead of them".

It reeks of the big guys ripping off the retail investors.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 05:01 PM 05-03-2023
Originally Posted by Rain Man:

ATCO (don't bother looking it up because it's gone now) is a shipping company. It was a great stock. I was getting decent returns and a good dividend that added up to notable low-key success. It was one of my largest holdings and was definitely a keeper.

I was doing a checkup and realized that it was no longer in my portfolio. Some stupid company bought them out and the board of directors voted for it, and apparently that gave the new company the right to go into my personal account and sell the shares.

I understand the mechanics - as a shareholder I could have voted against the purchase with my 0.0000001 percent holdings of the company. The big fish voted for it and therefore my stock is gone. But man, something seems really wrong about a company that I've never heard of being able to order my personal account to sell the stock without my permission or knowledge. If you look at it logically, they said, "we think this stock is worth more than the market, so let's take it from all of the small shareholders so we can make the money on it instead of them".

Damn, I'm sorry that happened. I've learned so much over the last couple years about the system and it's definitely not a level playing field. It's a rigged system and the big boys do what they want.

Does the new company not have to give you some ownership though ??

I got caught in that with MMTLP, I knew it was going to be delisted but they cut off trading 48 hours early and the I now have new ownership of a company not publicly traded and have to look at a $3800 stock in my portfolio that is worthless.
[Reply]
Rain Man 05:10 PM 05-03-2023
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
Damn, I'm sorry that happened. I've learned so much over the last couple years about the system and it's definitely not a level playing field. It's a rigged system and the big boys do what they want.

Does the new company not have to give you some ownership though ??

I got caught in that with MMTLP, I knew it was going to be delisted but they cut off trading 48 hours early and the I now have new ownership of a company not publicly traded and have to look at a $3800 stock in my portfolio that is worthless.
They often trade stock of the old company with stock in the new company, but I think this is the first time that they've just cashed me out.

Now that you mention it, I guess from that perspective I'd rather get the cash than get stock in some new company that I know nothing about. I just hate losing the old stock that has done well for me.

Sometimes companies will spin off a division into the new company, and by large I hate that. They assign some value to it and say, "Hey, you're getting $2,000 of stock in this new company!", and then more often than not it goes out onto the market and immediately declines to $600 or something. I swear that companies do that just to offload debt, and they dramatically overvalue the new company. It seems like a scam.

The only company that's done right by me on the spinoffs is GE. I have a little bit of GE and they've spun off WAB and GEHC, which have both done really well for me.

In an odd story, I used to have a company with the symbol ALC. They were bought by NVS, which I also happened to own in the same account. So ALC disappeared and I got some additional NVS stock. Several years later, NVS vomited it back up. They spun off ALC into a separate company so all of a sudden I had ALC stock again. I figure I got ripped off somehow, but it was so long between the buying and selling that I don't really know how I did on that loop.
[Reply]
Miles 08:45 PM 05-03-2023
Sounds like someone bought the company and took it private which is always a risk since you just get dragged along in any deal that is approved by a shareholder vote. This isn’t always bad since the deal premium can sometimes end up being an overpay.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:36 PM 05-03-2023

I got this when Cabelas got brought out by Bass Pro.

I was getting a shitload of communication about it. It might be because I bought it through an ESPP, but I got notification about the vote and my voting rights and then like a forest-worth of letters about the buyout and the funding.

It's probably different for brokered accounts, but I presume there is a chunk of cash in your brokerage account?
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:59 PM 05-03-2023
They often trade stock of the old company with stock in the new company, but I think this is the first time that they've just cashed me out.

Now that you mention it, I guess from that perspective I'd rather get the cash than get stock in some new company that I know nothing about. I just hate losing the old stock that has done well for me.

Sometimes companies will spin off a division into the new company, and by large I hate that. They assign some value to it and say, "Hey, you're getting $2,000 of stock in this new company!", and then more often than not it goes out onto the market and immediately declines to $600 or something. I swear that companies do that just to offload debt, and they dramatically overvalue the new company. It seems like a scam.

The only company that's done right by me on the spinoffs is GE. I have a little bit of GE and they've spun off WAB and GEHC, which have both done really well for me.

In an odd story, I used to have a company with the symbol ALC. They were bought by NVS, which I also happened to own in the same account. So ALC disappeared and I got some additional NVS stock. Several years later, NVS vomited it back up. They spun off ALC into a separate company so all of a sudden I had ALC stock again. I figure I got ripped off somehow, but it was so long between the buying and selling that I don't really know how I did on that loop.
Most of the time when they do spinoffs its because they want to get a higher PE ratio. I know GE (before everything went to shit) would complain incessantly because they didn't want the PE ratio of an industrial company because their medical and financial arms would have had higher PE ratios. So they spin them off, retain most of the shares in a holding company or just held by the parent company and get higher PE ratio. It's like an expense free cash infusion.
[Reply]
jjchieffan 10:03 PM 05-03-2023
I'm curious if any of you are invested in, or familiar with an OTC stock called AITX. I've been investing in it for a while now. The stock is cheap right now at .0062. But I believe that it has a great outlook. They are producing AI security equipment, which plays great in this economy where wages are rising and typically low paying security guard positions are hard to fill. I've seen them go from working out of a garage in California, to a large warehouse space in Detroit. Their sales and revenues are steadily increasing and they are projected to reach profitability in the next 8-12 months. When that happens, this stock should start to run. I currently have about 3/4 million shares and am building towards a million before they hit the break even point.
A big thing that I like about the company is how transparent they are. The CEO, Steve Reinhartz, has a weekly 15 minute update video for the investors, a quarterly AMA, and an annual investor open house that is recorded and posted online for those who can't go. They have weapon detection software and have donated that to several at risk, needy schools to help reduce the risk of school shootings.
They are also getting their products into movies and TV shows. Several of their devices are going to be in the Blue Beetle movie. I've already seen them on the trailer. They are also going to be in a yet to be disclosed TV show that is airing next month. I have no idea if that will help with sales, but it certainly couldn't hurt. Either way, it's kinda cool to see products from a startup company that I'm invested in to showing up in that format.
Anyway if anyone is interested in taking a look, their website is AITX.ai. You can find news releases and plenty of information there. Also, the weekly updates and AMA"s are on the AITX YouTube channel.
[Reply]
Page 899 of 934
« First < 399799849889895896897898899 900901902903909 > Last »
Up