ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 191 of 929
« First < 91141181187188189190191 192193194195201241291691 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
Munson 08:40 AM 05-10-2019
There will probably be some initial excitement, but it's going to tank just like Lyft.
[Reply]
ghak99 08:43 AM 05-10-2019
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Right on. Might be a hell of a good deal. But it all has to reconcile back to cash at some point. It would spook me.

But hey!

My farm is making more money than that. Wanna buy some stock :-)
Stocks smocks, I'll hook them up with half a farm and they can roll in the dirt, shoot deer, and pee on their very own trees any time they want! I really just want to control who my neighbor is and can't afford to buy the whole place. Raiders fans need not apply!
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 08:56 AM 05-10-2019
Right on. Might be a hell of a good deal. But it all has to reconcile back to cash at some point. It would spook me.

But hey!

My farm is making more money than that. Wanna buy some stock :-)
Love You Brother but

HELL NO!

Done with the ag business.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 08:58 AM 05-10-2019
Originally Posted by Munson:
There will probably be some initial excitement, but it's going to tank just like Lyft.
Near term you're probably right. I think long term it's got a real shot at pulling off a FB or AMZN type run.
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:18 AM 05-10-2019
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
Love You Brother but

HELL NO!

Done with the ag business.
I MAKE MORE MONEY THAN UBER GODDAMN IT
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 10:42 AM 05-10-2019
Fuck you Trump. Fuck you China.
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:43 AM 05-10-2019
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Fuck you Trump. Fuck you China.
Throw in the Fuck you, USDA, and I'll cosign the statement.
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:49 AM 05-10-2019
It seems like driverless cars will completely change Uber's business model soon. They'll eliminate drivers and just buy driverless cars. Will this turn them into profit giant if they keep 100 percent of revenues? Or will it just continue to be a chase for low fares with their competitors?

And if we have driverless cars, do I just send my car out on its own working under uber, in which case the cost to passengers continues to go down, but I have to be above break-even as an owner, so it's just the same story as now but at lower price levels? Not sure how that'll play out.
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:24 AM 05-10-2019
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
It seems like driverless cars will completely change Uber's business model soon. They'll eliminate drivers and just buy driverless cars. Will this turn them into profit giant if they keep 100 percent of revenues? Or will it just continue to be a chase for low fares with their competitors?

And if we have driverless cars, do I just send my car out on its own working under uber, in which case the cost to passengers continues to go down, but I have to be above break-even as an owner, so it's just the same story as now but at lower price levels? Not sure how that'll play out.
I wouldn’t project that any time soon.

I feel like a broken record, but my understanding of the liability rules are that if there is liability to be assessed it goes to the driver. No driver would indicate that it would fall to the manufacturer, because the machine is then responsible for collision avoidance.

Manufacturers aren’t going to play that way.

That’s my admittedly limited understanding of the situation. There has been technology for automated tractors at the very least in the field level for better than a decade and my understanding is liability is what keeps it on the shelf.
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 03:04 PM 05-10-2019
I feel like a broken record, but my understanding of the liability rules are that if there is liability to be assessed it goes to the driver. No driver would indicate that it would fall to the manufacturer, because the machine is then responsible for collision avoidance.
I'm not sure on tractors. Do people tractor all day/everyday? There is also scale. If you have 10 tractor drivers you can get rid by automating, your insurance is going to be really costly versus a company with 500k drivers.

I think a key difference is Uber/Lyft already provide collision, liability, 3rd party insurance, under or uninsured motorist coverage to it's human drivers. It's really just a matter of the math working out via human labor costs vs autonomy costs and any delta in insurance payments. Uber is trying to create their own autonomy platform. They could buy a ford install it and then they'd be responsible. I don't think that's how it'll work but there will be several models. I also think it's a long way off outside of niche things.

Lyft has a few Google/Waymo cars out on the road in Phoenix now
[Reply]
RunKC 03:18 PM 05-10-2019
Holy shit what a comeback! The markets somehow finished in the green today.

Never thought that would happen.
[Reply]
eDave 03:20 PM 05-10-2019
Originally Posted by Munson:
Hope so. Otherwise rates go up.
[Reply]
Buehler445 04:24 PM 05-10-2019
Originally Posted by ChiliConCarnage:
I'm not sure on tractors. Do people tractor all day/everyday? There is also scale. If you have 10 tractor drivers you can get rid by automating, your insurance is going to be really costly versus a company with 500k drivers.

I think a key difference is Uber/Lyft already provide collision, liability, 3rd party insurance, under or uninsured motorist coverage to it's human drivers. It's really just a matter of the math working out via human labor costs vs autonomy costs and any delta in insurance payments. Uber is trying to create their own autonomy platform. They could buy a ford install it and then they'd be responsible. I don't think that's how it'll work but there will be several models. I also think it's a long way off outside of niche things.

Lyft has a few Google/Waymo cars out on the road in Phoenix now
Yeah. A lot of tractors run a lot of hours. It is very much a timing and labor issue.

It's not an insurance problem, we don't carry any collision insurance on tractors at the moment. It's a liability problem, which could be insured against.

Think about it this way. Somebody convinces a court that there is a manufacturer default that caused the wreck. Insurance company says, welp, I'm out. Then it isn't an accident, they're going after the evil corporate empire, and the'll try to find a class action. Because that's what lawyers do.
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 05:48 PM 05-10-2019
Yeah. A lot of tractors run a lot of hours. It is very much a timing and labor issue.

It's not an insurance problem, we don't carry any collision insurance on tractors at the moment. It's a liability problem, which could be insured against.

Think about it this way. Somebody convinces a court that there is a manufacturer default that caused the wreck. Insurance company says, welp, I'm out. Then it isn't an accident, they're going after the evil corporate empire, and the'll try to find a class action. Because that's what lawyers do.
In the end I think this will need some regulation. I imagine drones will be the same. The car companies have risked lives before to save money on recalls when they knew there was an issue.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.6e1f6b2f20ee

If it improves productivity and corporate profits, I feel confident the gov will make it work. I guess we'll see. Wouldn't invest in Uber rn though. I think Uber freight is interesting but it's a tiny part of revenue and Amazon is doing it too.
[Reply]
Buehler445 05:57 PM 05-10-2019
Originally Posted by ChiliConCarnage:
In the end I think this will need some regulation. I imagine drones will be the same. The car companies have risked lives before to save money on recalls when they knew there was an issue.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.6e1f6b2f20ee

If it improves productivity and corporate profits, I feel confident the gov will make it work. I guess we'll see. Wouldn't invest in Uber rn though. I think Uber freight is interesting but it's a tiny part of revenue and Amazon is doing it too.

Yeah I agree. Nobody wants autonomous vehicles more than this guy. You have no idea the extent to which I want out of the cab.

I just don’t see it. Some kid runs out in front of a car and suddenly the mom wants $100M. You just can’t skate on that kind of risk IMO.
[Reply]
Page 191 of 929
« First < 91141181187188189190191 192193194195201241291691 > Last »
Up