« First < 62112152158159160161162 163164165166172212262662 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
BigRichard 08:40 AM 11-09-2018
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
I just bought some on the dip.
I was going to do the same thing but I am glad I didn't. JP Morgan just dropped their value on them down to like $6 a share. They are dropping this morning now.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 09:25 AM 11-09-2018
Originally Posted by BigRichard:
I was going to do the same thing but I am glad I didn't. JP Morgan just dropped their value on them down to like $6 a share. They are dropping this morning now.
I obviously have as much influence as JP Morgan. GE sat between 12-15 forever. It goes to 11.60 so I throw 1K at it and now it's at 9.60.
[Reply]
BigRichard 09:38 AM 11-09-2018
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
I obviously have as much influence as JP Morgan. GE sat between 12-15 forever. It goes to 11.60 so I throw 1K at it and now it's at 9.60.
It is actually right about 8.50 right now. I may make that jump here shortly once it drops some more.
[Reply]
TinyEvel 12:31 PM 11-15-2018
Tossing around the option of a whole life policy as supplemental savings. I know that most people say buy term and invest the difference but the Long term care rider and tax avoidance when withdrawing later in life is appealing. Im 50 years old. and after 17 years the thing pays the premiums from the dividend, you stop paying into it, still get the 500K death benefit plus cash value at that point is around 290K.

This would be a supplement to a 401 K that I've built up over the past 25 years.

Thoughts?

Add this or keep contributing to 401K (some balanced funds and bonds as well as international stocks) and a online trading accounts (US stocks mostly tech and younger companies). but then be vulnerable to market shifts and taxes down the road.
[Reply]
Buehler445 01:18 PM 11-15-2018
Originally Posted by TinyEvel:
Tossing around the option of a whole life policy as supplemental savings. I know that most people say buy term and invest the difference but the Long term care rider and tax avoidance when withdrawing later in life is appealing. Im 50 years old. and after 17 years the thing pays the premiums from the dividend, you stop paying into it, still get the 500K death benefit plus cash value at that point is around 290K.

This would be a supplement to a 401 K that I've built up over the past 25 years.

Thoughts?

Add this or keep contributing to 401K (some balanced funds and bonds as well as international stocks) and a online trading accounts (US stocks mostly tech and younger companies). but then be vulnerable to market shifts and taxes down the road.
Just do your research on the company. I have a term policy through Genworth which was a highly rated company. They got buttfucked by their LTC policies and don’t do shit with life anymore and all the features that would be nice are out the window.

Typically you can do better in mutual funds but it’s not a terrible tool.
[Reply]
Iowanian 01:39 PM 11-15-2018
Congratulations. This thread drew me into the Etrade hobby early in the year. I've invested only "extra" money like FFB winnings, dividends from other investments(bioD etc)....

So far, I'm only down about $750 on the year on whims I obtained by reading here.....GE looked like a good idea because it was down and I'd had reason to believe some industry relevant things were going to pay off for them....US steel, Silica and some other things when I thought the oil boom and Steel Tariffs were going to pay off.....

I'm learning though, and I cashed out a couple of shitters and took a shot at a couple of hemp stocks.

someday, I'll cash out a roll.
[Reply]
TinyEvel 12:52 PM 11-16-2018
I'm not going with the whole life. Its basically putting a big wad of money into an account for 18 years to have access to about that same amount of that money. Anything you pull out takes away from the balance of the account AND the death benefit. I'd rather manage my own investments and pay uncle sam 30% of a higher wad of investment gains.

What it came to, was once I started running scenarios of how/when I would want to use the money down the road, the perceived benefit went away. The insurance salesman (introduced to me as a financial advisor, lets be clear, he's a salesman first) didn't tell me details about how taking money out would deplete the asset AND the benefit. I was led to believe that there were three piles of money (long term care benefit, death benefit and cash value) when in fact they are all the same pile of money, and once you start to withdraw from any of them they all go down.

Whole life insurance investments are for people who've maxed out their 401 K, IRAs and other investments (real estate, rental property, etc) and want to leave their family money when they die that isn't taxed like estate tax.
[Reply]
Rain Man 01:07 PM 11-16-2018
Originally Posted by Iowanian:
Congratulations. This thread drew me into the Etrade hobby early in the year. I've invested only "extra" money like FFB winnings, dividends from other investments(bioD etc)....

So far, I'm only down about $750 on the year on whims I obtained by reading here.....GE looked like a good idea because it was down and I'd had reason to believe some industry relevant things were going to pay off for them....US steel, Silica and some other things when I thought the oil boom and Steel Tariffs were going to pay off.....

I'm learning though, and I cashed out a couple of shitters and took a shot at a couple of hemp stocks.

someday, I'll cash out a roll.
I apologize if I said anything that made you want to buy GE.
[Reply]
lewdog 10:59 AM 11-17-2018
GE is a turd. I told you guys that many times here. Just because a stock is cheap, does not mean it's worth owning.

I've been using this volatility to make a bit of money. Bought and traded out of Goldman Sachs earlier this month for a quick few hundred dollar profit. It since has declined 15%. They really have some shady business practices.

My current buy and trade is using UPS, which should post a strong 4th quarter this year with a stock trading below ($110) it's projected value of $125 which should come by years end. If holding long-term it also provides a 3.3% dividend.

Apple has also recently taking a beating. Using past trends, it's always a good time to pick up Apple after a steep decline. Nothing wrong with owning a stock of a company with a huge cash pile and that people love. It's a great stock to swing trade or hold long term.
[Reply]
lewdog 07:49 PM 11-20-2018
Hold on to your asses boys. I think this gets worse.
[Reply]
Maine 07:50 PM 11-20-2018
Time for Trump to answer
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 08:07 PM 11-20-2018
Stock Market went to shit just as soon as Clay got involved. Literally to the day!
[Reply]
BigRichard 08:38 PM 11-20-2018
I picked the wrong time to open a Roth IRA and drop 11,000 in there for me and my wife. Grrrr....
[Reply]
lewdog 08:58 PM 11-20-2018
Originally Posted by BigRichard:
I picked the wrong time to open a Roth IRA and drop 11,000 in there for me and my wife. Grrrr....
Actually today might not be a bad time. It's off the all-time high quite a bit and you aren't looking to use ROTH money for years I'd guess.
[Reply]
BigRichard 09:26 AM 11-21-2018
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Actually today might not be a bad time. It's off the all-time high quite a bit and you aren't looking to use ROTH money for years I'd guess.
I am saying I already did it. I did it maybe a month ago. Wasn't horrible since there had already been some huge drops but it could have been better. I can drop another $12,000 in there after the first of the year though.
[Reply]
Page 162 of 929
« First < 62112152158159160161162 163164165166172212262662 > Last »
Up