Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 11:04 PM 07-12-2018
HELL YEAH
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 11:06 PM 07-12-2018
By the way, I fucking hate this. As soon as IQ hits $42 I'm selling it and going back to my cozy, safe ETF.
[Reply]
Rain Man 12:07 AM 07-13-2018
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
By the way, I ****ing hate this. As soon as IQ hits $42 I'm selling it and going back to my cozy, safe ETF.
In my experience, stocks are more fun when you make money on them, and less fun when you lose money. I've seen that consistently over the years.
[Reply]
wutamess 09:04 AM 07-13-2018
Who's still long in IQ? BEen waiting for you guys to post the next best thing. WTF is HF when you need him?
[Reply]
BWillie 12:46 PM 07-13-2018
What do I have to gain by investing stocks on my own? My 401k has been humming along by Vanguard. I don't do anything. I think they would know more than me. Buying, selling, paying fees, staying up to date on news sounds like a pain in the ass.
[Reply]
Iowanian 12:48 PM 07-13-2018
IQ sounds like Prestige....world wide.
[Reply]
DaFace 12:57 PM 07-13-2018
Originally Posted by BWillie:
What do I have to gain by investing stocks on my own? My 401k has been humming along by Vanguard. I don't do anything. I think they would know more than me. Buying, selling, paying fees, staying up to date on news sounds like a pain in the ass.
For most people, very little. If you have the time and interest to invest in individual stocks, it can be an interesting way of earning some cash, but there obviously no guarantees, and a vast majority of average Joe's are better off with broader mutual funds or ETFs.
[Reply]
BWillie 01:18 PM 07-13-2018
Originally Posted by Iowanian:
IQ sounds like Prestige....world wide.
Boats & Hoes ICO FTW
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 02:46 PM 07-13-2018
There are some people who think IQ stock will be worth 10x what it is now in five years.

I'm holding.
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 04:13 PM 07-13-2018
Originally Posted by wutamess:
Who's still long in IQ? BEen waiting for you guys to post the next best thing. WTF is HF when you need him?
The next hype stock IPO was UXIN. Right before it was set to IPO Huya, IQ, etc. started tanking a bit amid trade war fears and just general hey if you go up 100% in a month or whatever you're probably going back down.

The kids were saying Carmax of China! Which doesn't sound that exciting to be honest lol

I spent a couple of hours reading through their F1. They're taking on debt like crazy. I think they spent 96 and 102% of revenue in marketing alone the last two years. They'd gained market share from it. Can't remember exactly but they went from 34 or so to 42% of used car sales.

Apparently, in China car loans work like homes here. New cars you can only get a loan for 80% of the value. Used cars 70%. Electrics can get more

If I invest in China, I like companies where some other company I trust has invested in them. Then I know they've done their DD and it's a real company and not a scam. Unlike many of the other stocks we talked about this isn't the case AFAIK with Uxin. I consider this pretty risky and only looked into it in the hopes of riding the new china stock hype wave. It died a bit right before this IPO'd and this stock has gone down a bit since IPO like all of China stocks.

All that said, if their numbers are real their revenue growth is huge. 130+% annually. It is sort of intriguing. I'm worried about chinese scams, I imagine so are Chinese people right? A good reason to go to the Carmax of China?
If I remember right they allow returns for 30 days. They pointed out a lot of stats that showed Chinese consumers have way less cars than in the US. Makes sense.. many of them haven't have the money. I sort of suspect some of that is China building out more public transportation than we have too.
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 04:28 PM 07-13-2018
Oh, I forgot, I wanted Adyen! They listed in Netherlands and when I woke up in the morning they had gone up 100% on day one :-)

They IPO'd and were already profitable as a digital payment company. Uber, Netflix, Etsy, Groupon, etc. use them. Oh, Ebay is moving from Paypal to them over the next few years
[Reply]
lewdog 08:05 PM 07-13-2018
You cannot trust the financials of these Chinese companies. I don't believe them outside of Alibaba, in which I own a large long stake in because of that trust and leadership.

I am playing IQ on speculation for generating some income but I don't plan to hold many shares (if any) long term.
[Reply]
lewdog 08:06 PM 07-13-2018
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
There are some people who think IQ stock will be worth 10x what it is now in five years.

I'm holding.
That's been said and generated about most "hot" tech stocks at one time or another.

99% go the other direction or flat-line for years.
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 11:14 AM 07-15-2018
So, it seems we have quite a few IQ holders here. I like to use Finviz to take a quick look at companies. It's not perfect but it puts a lot of info into a small area. I basically use it to decide if I want to spend time researching a business and digging through the financial records. A lot of the fields here are empty probably becuase IQ hasn't had an earnings report yet.

I assumed this was a mistake but Schwab and Yahoo Finance also list nearly 700 million shares.

Explain yourselves, longs. Baidu, spun this off so I assume it's legit but these numbers say there are 10 million shares voting on the current stock price w/ 700 million shares currently in lockup who've been precluded from selling. That sounds awful and I can't imagine it's accurate. If the people who priced this IPO at 18 dollars or whatever are holding 700 million shares on the sidelines, uhh, good luck.
[Reply]
lewdog 12:44 PM 07-15-2018
Originally Posted by ChiliConCarnage:
So, it seems we have quite a few IQ holders here. I like to use Finviz to take a quick look at companies. It's not perfect but it puts a lot of info into a small area. I basically use it to decide if I want to spend time researching a business and digging through the financial records. A lot of the fields here are empty probably becuase IQ hasn't had an earnings report yet.

I assumed this was a mistake but Schwab and Yahoo Finance also list nearly 700 million shares.

Explain yourselves, longs. Baidu, spun this off so I assume it's legit but these numbers say there are 10 million shares voting on the current stock price w/ 700 million shares currently in lockup who've been precluded from selling. That sounds awful and I can't imagine it's accurate. If the people who priced this IPO at 18 dollars or whatever are holding 700 million shares on the sidelines, uhh, good luck.
Great post

As I've stated numerous times, there's no reason to be long on IQ. None. I am swing trading it as needed in this sideways market and nothing more.
[Reply]
Page 143 of 934
« First < 4393133139140141142143 144145146147153193243643 > Last »
Up