ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 16 of 27
« First < 61213141516 1718192026 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Let's talk about the Baltimore Ravens (Week 2)
TLO 05:28 PM 09-12-2021
Discuss
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:43 AM 09-16-2021
I'll also say that CEH did look quite a bit better in the 2nd half on a re-watch. He still didn't look like a gamebreaker, but he looked like he was capable of staying ahead of the sticks against light boxes.

He had something like 10 carries for 40ish yards in that 2nd half. And probably 7-8 of those carries were for 3+ yards and only a couple of those were for for 3 even. If he's clipping off 4 yards/carry against those deep formations, sooner or later the safeties will sneak up. They can't just let KC trot walk down the field.

He's just not a homerun hitter. I think most RBs with big YPC numbers are usually doing the same kind of 3, 4, 1, 5, 2, 9, 4 sorts of patterns CEH is likely to do but then they'll pop off a 40 yarder that gooses that average. CEH just doesn't seem to have that long gear that will get him many of those.

So his YPC may stay fairly pedestrian. But if his standard deviation on a 4 YPC sort of average is small, that will work well enough. It isn't exactly what you want, but it will complement the passing game okay. It's not worth a 1st round pick but if you're looking for silver linings, that's the best I can offer.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 08:45 AM 09-16-2021
Originally Posted by ptlyon:
The only thing that "neutralized" them was PMII running for his life the whole ****ing game.
I meant to say neutralize in the red zone* and edited my post to reflect that.

In the red zone is where Damien would feast historically in the playoffs (when other teams put all their resources on Hill and Kelce and we really needed a secondary option to step up against Tampa. This did not happen and we felt it. If CEH continues to disappear in those situations then that's when I'll be concerned. But it's more than likely he was not 100% in the SB and that was the cause of those issues.
[Reply]
PunkinDrublic 08:46 AM 09-16-2021
Originally Posted by Eleazar:
Reading the Ravens board is interesting. They don’t generally believe their team is more than a wild card weekend team. The injuries and poor play have all predicting a loss Sunday. Most seem unhappy with the coaching staff. But you will rarely find a critique of Jackson, who still seems to mostly be Teflon with the fan base. It’s the OC’s fault most of the time, or his line. They have not reached the stage where they think Jackson might be part of the problem.
Lamar defenders are an irritating bunch. They will bend over backwards twist stats to make excuses for him. It’s never Lamar’s fault it’s always his OC or the people around him. They’ll definitely blame it on the team’s injuries this year.
[Reply]
tredadda 08:55 AM 09-16-2021
Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic:
Lamar defenders are an irritating bunch. They will bend over backwards twist stats to make excuses for him. It’s never Lamar’s fault it’s always his OC or the people around him. They’ll definitely blame it on the team’s injuries this year.
And that's fine. We will know his true value when Baltimore signs him to a new contract. They will give a good idea of what Baltimore thinks about his long term potential.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:58 AM 09-16-2021
Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic:
Just wait until they start making excuses about the heat and giving him disproportionate amounts of credit for shit a 4th round pick could do.

Experience tells me it'll take a year of completely ineffectual play before people start to consider that maybe he's just not very good.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:00 AM 09-16-2021
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I'll also say that CEH did look quite a bit better in the 2nd half on a re-watch. He still didn't look like a gamebreaker, but he looked like he was capable of staying ahead of the sticks against light boxes.

He had something like 10 carries for 40ish yards in that 2nd half. And probably 7-8 of those carries were for 3+ yards and only a couple of those were for for 3 even. If he's clipping off 4 yards/carry against those deep formations, sooner or later the safeties will sneak up. They can't just let KC trot walk down the field.

He's just not a homerun hitter. I think most RBs with big YPC numbers are usually doing the same kind of 3, 4, 1, 5, 2, 9, 4 sorts of patterns CEH is likely to do but then they'll pop off a 40 yarder that gooses that average. CEH just doesn't seem to have that long gear that will get him many of those.

So his YPC may stay fairly pedestrian. But if his standard deviation on a 4 YPC sort of average is small, that will work well enough. It isn't exactly what you want, but it will complement the passing game okay. It's not worth a 1st round pick but if you're looking for silver linings, that's the best I can offer.
Yeah, this all makes sense. Ideally, you want to see him ripping off more 7-15 yard runs, but he isn't going to make a lot of 20+ yard plays.

He had 8 carries for 32 yards in the second half, before the last "kill the clock" drive (2 for 4 on that one).

DeAndre Swift was the guy I was "on" headed into that draft, and I think in hindsight would have been a better pick. One thing I don't get is why they don't use angle routes at ALL with CEH. It's something he was absolute MONEY on at LSU, and it's a really nice complement/counter to flat routes that are so common for RBs. It also seems like if he runs that angle/arrow route from the opposite side of the field as Kelce (i.e. Kelce aligned right, CEH flares to left and then cuts back right) it would work really nicely on routes where Kelce is progressing from right to left. Makes the defense choose which direction it flows and also likely frees CEH up a bunch.

He's so elusive and powerful against a single defender in space, I'm surprised we haven't see it more. Seems like a money maker on 3rd downs.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:00 AM 09-16-2021
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:

In the red zone is where Damien would feast historically in the playoffs (when other teams put all their resources on Hill and Kelce and we really needed a secondary option to step up against Tampa. This did not happen and we felt it. If CEH continues to disappear in those situations then that's when I'll be concerned. But it's more than likely he was not 100% in the SB and that was the cause of those issues.
A) CEH didn't exactly disappear in that game. He was fine, if a little underutilized as the game script got away from us.

B) There was no 'secondary option' that was going to pull that game from the flames. Some BS penalties in the first half put us in a hole that allowed the Bucs to pin their ears and target an absolute disaster of an OL. That really could've been one of those 40+ point historically bad drubbings but/for Mahomes being Mahomes.

In games like that there's just not much you can do. Once the avalanche starts you just kinda roll with it and wait to dig your way out when its over.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:01 AM 09-16-2021
Just wait until they start making excuses about the heat and giving him disproportionate amounts of credit for shit a 4th round pick could do.

Experience tells me it'll take a year of completely ineffectual play before people start to consider that maybe he's just not very good.
Yeah. Baltimore's front office is REALLY smart. They probably are smart enough to realize they can't win with him on a rookie deal and sure AF can't win with him on a 40+ M AAV deal.

But do they have the guts to cut bait and put their jobs on the line to do it?

Play him on the rookie deal this year, franchise him for next year, then pocket a comp pick is the smart play. But you DO have to hit on the replacement, or you're out of a job a season or two after letting him walk.
[Reply]
tredadda 09:01 AM 09-16-2021

Might take longer than a year with him because he is still young and has a league MVP. They will give him the benefit of the doubt for longer than they probably should. I was listening to the radio on Tuesday and I almost universally heard everyone blame the Raiders loss on everything but him even though he played like trash.
[Reply]
O.city 09:04 AM 09-16-2021
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Yeah, this all makes sense. Ideally, you want to see him ripping off more 7-15 yard runs, but he isn't going to make a lot of 20+ yard plays.

He had 8 carries for 32 yards in the second half, before the last "kill the clock" drive (2 for 4 on that one).

DeAndre Swift was the guy I was "on" headed into that draft, and I think in hindsight would have been a better pick. One thing I don't get is why they don't use angle routes at ALL with CEH. It's something he was absolute MONEY on at LSU, and it's a really nice complement/counter to flat routes that are so common for RBs. It also seems like if he runs that angle/arrow route from the opposite side of the field as Kelce (i.e. Kelce aligned right, CEH flares to left and then cuts back right) it would work really nicely on routes where Kelce is progressing from right to left. Makes the defense choose which direction it flows and also likely frees CEH up a bunch.

He's so elusive and powerful against a single defender in space, I'm surprised we haven't see it more. Seems like a money maker on 3rd downs.
CEH did have alot of catches at LSU, but was it really becasue he excelled at it or was it more "their QB threw it a shitload so it was just about what you'd expect"?

I dunno. He is fine with it, I think he's a solid player. But not worth a first at this point.
[Reply]
staylor26 09:06 AM 09-16-2021
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:

CEH averaged over 7 YPC in the SB. The problem was that the run game went out of the window when the Bucs got a big lead early.
[Reply]
O.city 09:06 AM 09-16-2021

It could be the ankle in terms of that. I did notice the second half was "better".

The OL played pretty well for the first under fire game. They blocked some stuff up nicely and seemed to always be just 1 extra second block away from really busting one.
[Reply]
siberian khatru 09:07 AM 09-16-2021

The Ravens are preparing to be without All Pro LT Ronnie Stanley this week and possibly far longer ad he undergoes more medical testing. Villanueva slides back to LT, his natural spot, with Patrick Makari next up to RT. OL was already under fire before this setback

— Jason La Canfora (@JasonLaCanfora) September 16, 2021

[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:08 AM 09-16-2021
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Yeah. Baltimore's front office is REALLY smart. They probably are smart enough to realize they can't win with him on a rookie deal and sure AF can't win with him on a 40+ M AAV deal.

But do they have the guts to cut bait and put their jobs on the line to do it?

Play him on the rookie deal this year, franchise him for next year, then pocket a comp pick is the smart play. But you DO have to hit on the replacement, or you're out of a job a season or two after letting him walk.
You wouldn't even have to pocket a comp pick.

Tag him again and some team will throw you a 1st for a novelty QB that can take their 4 win/season franchise to 9 wins/season. If you average an additional 20,000 fans/gm at $100/ticket that's about $10 million in extra revenue for the team on their 60% cut of 8 homegames. A little extra as a road draw plus mere marketing potential (stadium rights, increased concession fees, local licensing, etc...) could pay for Jackson's $40 million salary outright just based on fan interest.

If you're a good team with a committed fanbase, the juice may not be worth the squeeze. But if you're a squad that's looking to get some life back into a moribund fanbase, he's worth a 1st rounder.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:09 AM 09-16-2021
Originally Posted by siberian khatru:
Oh sweet Jesus.

They need to sign Cam and just send him out there Sunday to keep Lamar from dying. I mean I don't know if Villanueva was as cooked as he looked against the Raiders, but man if he plays like that on Sunday, even Frank Clark could make him look bad.
[Reply]
Page 16 of 27
« First < 61213141516 1718192026 > Last »
Up