ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 103 of 110
« First < 3539399100101102103 104105106107 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Nuclear emergency declared at quake-damaged reactor
googlegoogle 07:35 PM 03-11-2011
http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2...reactors_N.htm
[Reply]
Valiant 01:43 PM 06-13-2011
Just send melvin from tromaville to clean up.
[Reply]
Dave Lane 02:02 PM 06-13-2011
If there had been a full meltdown of the core without any containment vessel breach it wouldn't have been any big deal at all. Meltdown is not the key word here. And the water released in the ocean is a meaningless amount.

As an aside, as Donger is always loath to do, radiation is with us everyday. There is a background amount of radiation from radon, watchfaces, the sun and hundreds of other sources. There is no escape and in background levels its generally harmless. The added radiation from Japan is below detectable levels here. There are trace amounts of Strontium 90 everywhere. This event added very little to the Strontium 90 on the surface of the earth.
[Reply]
Rausch 02:13 PM 06-13-2011
Originally Posted by Donger:
Yes, that's correct. There are in process of cleaning up the radioactive water, however.
THEY'RE.

Fucking...strangle you.

Reactors, not plants.
Yes, I meant plants.

The things that house reactors.

A breach does not mean a meltdown, it means a leak of radioactivity...

They were cautious about using the word "meltdown" for good reason: 1) It might have created panic. 2) They weren't positive that a melt(s) had taken place. 3) "Meltdown" means different things to different people. The core can technically melt with no breach of the PV, a melt with a slight breach of the PV (what happened at Fukushima), or a melt with a massive breach of the PV (Chernoybl).
I'm sure our government would be "cautious" as well...
[Reply]
Donger 02:22 PM 06-13-2011
Originally Posted by Rausch:
THEY'RE.

****ing...strangle you.
:-). Sorry for the error.

Yes, I meant plants.

The things that house reactors.

A breach does not mean a meltdown, it means a leak of radioactivity...
You may have meant that, but that is wrong. There are multiple reactors at that one plant. Each reactor is surrounded by a pressure vessel that is surrounded by a containment vessel and then a structure. There were melts of the cores in at least three of the reactors at the plant. There were also breaches in some of the PVs, resulting in the release of radiation.

I'm sure our government would be "cautious" as well...
Probably, but our government isn't the only outfit that measures radiation here. Numerous universities also do so.
[Reply]
Donger 02:22 PM 06-13-2011
Originally Posted by Dave Lane:
If there had been a full meltdown of the core without any containment vessel breach it wouldn't have been any big deal at all. Meltdown is not the key word here. And the water released in the ocean is a meaningless amount.

As an aside, as Donger is always loath to do, radiation is with us everyday. There is a background amount of radiation from radon, watchfaces, the sun and hundreds of other sources. There is no escape and in background levels its generally harmless. The added radiation from Japan is below detectable levels here. There are trace amounts of Strontium 90 everywhere. This event added very little to the Strontium 90 on the surface of the earth.
I loath to makes asides?
[Reply]
4th and Long 02:23 PM 06-13-2011
THEY'RE.

****ing...strangle you.
:-)

Rausch is doing it again! :-)
[Reply]
loochy 02:24 PM 06-13-2011
THEY'RE.

Fucking...strangle you.
:-):-)

Yeah, I know that grammatical errors are frustrating but CALM DOWN MAN!
[Reply]
Dave Lane 02:25 PM 06-13-2011
I loath to makes asides?
Or lengthy commentary.
[Reply]
Donger 02:27 PM 06-13-2011
Originally Posted by Dave Lane:
Or lengthy commentary.
Oh. Yes, that's true.
[Reply]
Donger 02:28 PM 06-13-2011
Originally Posted by loochy:
:-):-)

Yeah, I know that grammatical errors are frustrating but CALM DOWN MAN!
It really wasn't a grammatical error. I just mistakenly typed "There" instead of "They."
[Reply]
Rausch 02:29 PM 06-13-2011
:-). Sorry for the error.
You argue the particulars of nuclear physics and fuck up basic grammar.

Ok, now you see how It feels.

Insert picture of sympathetic asian guy here because fat and drunken Germans don't really garner much sympathy...

You may have meant that, but that is wrong. There are multiple reactors at that one plant. Each reactor is surrounded by a pressure vessel that is surrounded by a containment vessel and then a structure. There were melts of the cores in at least three of the reactors at the plant. There were also breaches in some of the PVs, resulting in the release of radiation.
There are 5 nuclear plants in Japan that I know of and 3 reported damage. Only the the one in (fukishima?) garnered headlines...
[Reply]
loochy 02:32 PM 06-13-2011
Insert picture of sympathetic asian guy here because fat and drunken Germans don't really garner much sympathy...

[Reply]
Donger 02:38 PM 06-13-2011
You argue the particulars of nuclear physics and **** up basic grammar.

Ok, now you see how It feels.

It wasn't a grammar error. I just typed the wrong word.

There are 5 nuclear plants in Japan that I know of and 3 reported damage. Only the the one in (fukishima?) garnered headlines...
To the best of my knowledge, none of the other plants experienced any radiation leaks.
[Reply]
Donger 10:33 AM 07-06-2011
Good news. The reactors are now utilizing recycled water for cooling and extraneous sources are no longer required.
[Reply]
Dave Lane 10:38 AM 07-06-2011
Well except for the 200,000 dead it all went pretty well. :-)
[Reply]
Page 103 of 110
« First < 3539399100101102103 104105106107 > Last »
Up