ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 20 of 31
« First < 101617181920 2122232430 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Drue Tranquill to Chiefs
RunKC 02:20 PM 03-17-2023

Sources: 1 year, up to $5M for Drue Tranquill to the #Chiefs, who I’m told chose Kansas City over five other suitors. https://t.co/NjlxDZVhlk

— Jordan Schultz (@Schultz_Report) March 17, 2023

[Reply]
Mecca 01:17 PM 03-20-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Yeah, I'm disinclined to do it, but I'd imagine if you searched for 'myth' under my user name you'd see me bitching up a blue streak about that crap for the last 6-8 years.

The cap is absolutely NOT a myth. You can tapdance around it and finesse it for a long while, but eventually you do have to deal with it.

The one thing that might be a myth is the duration of 'cap hell'. For a long while I was nervous about kicking cans down the road out of fear that it could trigger some hellish 3-5 year roster purge/rebuild.

Nah. You can spend like a drunken sailor and by and large you're only ever 1 year of absolutely eating shit away from getting yourself back in decent shape. Now it may be a REAL un-fun year, but it can be done. But you have to be smarter than the Saints who just keep using credit cards to pay off credit cards.
The Saints won't even admit their window closed when Brees retired and refuse to just start over, it makes no sense at all.

Like I truly don't understand what the fuck is going on there.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 01:21 PM 03-20-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Yeah, I'm disinclined to do it, but I'd imagine if you searched for 'myth' under my user name you'd see me bitching up a blue streak about that crap for the last 6-8 years.

The cap is absolutely NOT a myth. You can tapdance around it and finesse it for a long while, but eventually you do have to deal with it.

The one thing that might be a myth is the duration of 'cap hell'. For a long while I was nervous about kicking cans down the road out of fear that it could trigger some hellish 3-5 year roster purge/rebuild.

Nah. You can spend like a drunken sailor and by and large you're only ever 1 year of absolutely eating shit away from getting yourself back in decent shape. Now it may be a REAL un-fun year, but it can be done. But you have to be smarter than the Saints who just keep using credit cards to pay off credit cards.
I've noticed that as well. Hell, even the donx could escape their pit of misery relatively quickly if they made the decision to yank off the bandaid and dump Wilson now. It'd hurt like hell for a season, but their loss of picks is already contributing to that. If they did it NOW, they could be somewhat rejuvenated in 2-3 years tops and know a lot more about the young players they'd HAVE to play. Instead, they're keeping fatrus and overpaying a bunch of guys in an attempt to return to relevance NOW. It makes almost no sense.
[Reply]
Mecca 01:23 PM 03-20-2023
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
I've noticed that as well. Hell, even the donx could escape their pit of misery relatively quickly if they made the decision to yank off the bandaid and dump Wilson now. It'd hurt like hell for a season, but their loss of picks is already contributing to that. If they did it NOW, they could be somewhat rejuvenated in 2-3 years tops and know a lot more about the young players they'd HAVE to play. Instead, they're keeping fatrus and overpaying a bunch of guys in an attempt to return to relevance NOW. It makes almost no sense.
You don't have a coaching staff of geriatrics to do a full rebuild.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:24 PM 03-20-2023
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Bolton will try to get paid, he has numbers and he's gonna throw out Edmunds contract, Warners and the dude from the Jags...he isn't as good as Warner but Edmunds is arguable.
He may end up being a 'test the market' guy that we end up losing.

Because yes, that's absolutely how he'll approach it. And Veach will have to point out that Edmunds is a coverage backer in a market that really appreciates coverage backers. So 'better' doesn't really work here; he's the S of the LB group with Edmunds being the CB. And CBs get paid more than S even if the S is better at playing S than the CB is at playing CB.

But Oluokun's deal is going to be the real problem. His deal was 2/$30 or 3/$45 depending on how the Jags play it. And he DOES play the same style of game as Bolton with Bolton being able to argue that he might play that style at a higher level.

The market for off-ball backers got real weird for a bit. That CJ Mosley contract deserves to at least be in the same chapter if not on the same page as the Watson contract in the eventual "Big Book of What The Fuck Were They Thinking?"
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:30 PM 03-20-2023
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
Yeah, it should be pretty clear at this point that "the cap is a myth" is clearly a myth, especially when you have to pay QBs.

Just be glad that we're paying a really, really good one.
Yeah, people always say the cap is a "myth". It certainly exists but I think it's still worth noting that good teams, with good front offices, are just better at making the cap less of a factor than people think it is.
[Reply]
saphojunkie 03:34 PM 03-20-2023
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Yeah, people always say the cap is a "myth". It certainly exists but I think it's still worth noting that good teams, with good front offices, are just better at making the cap less of a factor than people think it is.
Probably because they realize that the cap is not a myth and therefore make their decisions accordingly.

People will see how much of a myth the cap is when the bengals lose Tee Higgins and Tyler Boyd.
[Reply]
Megatron96 05:30 PM 03-20-2023
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
It seems to me, and again I know very little about cap machinations because it makes my eyes glaze/cross, that the cap hell thing is a product of trying to 'run it back' too many times. We've watched NOR try and keep their pieces together at least three years too long, LAC tried with Rivers for at least that long, and so forth. The Chiefs tried to once and then decided to reset/rebuild or whatever they want to call it. That probably is the better way to go about it, rather than just piling on season after season with no cut-off date.
[Reply]
raybec 4 05:32 PM 03-20-2023
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
It seems to me, and again I know very little about cap machinations because it makes my eyes glaze/cross, that the cap hell thing is a product of trying to 'run it back' too many times. We've watched NOR try and keep their pieces together at least three years too long, LAC tried with Rivers for at least that long, and so forth. The Chiefs tried to once and then decided to reset/rebuild or whatever they want to call it. That probably is the better way to go about it, rather than just piling on season after season with no cut-off date.
Some teams don't want to part with expensive fan favorite players who don't really perform to their salary (Honey Badger). It's never a good idea to let the fans emotions dictate any personnel moves.
[Reply]
Megatron96 05:53 PM 03-20-2023
Originally Posted by raybec 4:
Some teams don't want to part with expensive fan favorite players who don't really perform to their salary (Honey Badger). It's never a good idea to let the fans emotions dictate any personnel moves.
Not sure if it's just how much fans feelings enter into it. I mean, NOR probably thought "we're so close, just need to put one more season on the credit card and that'll do it!!!" and just did it too many times. Hell, they probably should've gone to the SB twice except for two of the worst non-calls in NFL history sent them home early twice in three seasons or whatever it was. But when the bills came due, they decided "let's run it back one more time, because we were right there!!" Then effed up and did it three-four more times instead of cutting their losses after trying twice.
[Reply]
crispystl 06:43 PM 03-20-2023
Wasn't my analysis, really. Heard that on Chris Simms show a week before the SB. Basically, he said of the LBs, Harris was the 'worst' at coverage, and how that could be a problem vs. PHI.
I remember Harris got beat for a really close TD when Gay was out. Sure seemed like the other step Gay has would've been enough to intercept it.
[Reply]
Megatron96 06:50 PM 03-20-2023
Originally Posted by crispystl:
I remember Harris got beat for a really close TD when Gay was out. Sure seemed like the other step Gay has would've been enough to intercept it.
I liked Harris okay, but he was never a great coverage guy. Gay is better at it and he's working to get better still, and I think his ceiling is a lot higher than Harris', for whatever that's worth.

This guy is an obvious upgrade. I mean, he looks pretty good in coverage, and when's the last time we could say that about one of our LBs? Hopefully it really hasn't been since DJ, but it feels like it's been about that long.
[Reply]
raybec 4 06:59 PM 03-20-2023
I liked Harris okay, but he was never a great coverage guy. Gay is better at it and he's working to get better still, and I think his ceiling is a lot higher than Harris', for whatever that's worth.

This guy is an obvious upgrade. I mean, he looks pretty good in coverage, and when's the last time we could say that about one of our LBs? Hopefully it really hasn't been since DJ, but it feels like it's been about that long.
Anthony Hitchens was fantastic!! :-)
[Reply]
Megatron96 07:03 PM 03-20-2023
Originally Posted by raybec 4:
Anthony Hitchens was fantastic!! :-)
In 2020 Hitch was okay. Definitely improved over what he was in 2019. But good? No, not actually good, obviously. That guy was just such a disappointment. His tape from DAL suggested a much better player than what we got. And he didn't get injured or anything, so why he just sucked never made much sense.

Okay, ending rant now before my blood pressure spikes. Fuck Hitchens. Glad he did what he could tohelp us win LIV, but so glad he's gone.:-)

And fuck you for reminding me that Hitchens existed.:-)
[Reply]
raybec 4 07:05 PM 03-20-2023
In 2020 Hitch was okay. Definitely improved over what he was in 2019. But good? No, not actually good, obviously. That guy was just such a disappointment. His tape from DAL suggested a much better player than what we got. And he didn't get injured or anything, so why he just sucked never made much sense.

Okay, ending rant now before my blood pressure spikes. **** Hitchens. Glad he did what he could tohelp us win LIV, but so glad he's gone.:-)

And **** you for reminding me that Hitchens existed.:-)
I'm glad I could be of service.
[Reply]
kccrow 11:10 PM 03-20-2023
Originally Posted by Cave Johnson:
This has been a weird FA market. Probably some combo of:

1) Between the guaranteed deal for a molester and the Kirk deal, I suspect there may have been some owner collusion to cool the market.

2) Chargers/Bills/Eagles/etc. went all in last year and couldn’t beat the Chiefs. Fewer teams are opting to sell out for a ring.

3) FA class is weak generally.
I read an article the other day, and damn if I can remember where from, about how teams are spending less in FA over the past few years on what amounts to very average returns and instead turning to the trade market to get star talent. It was definitely eye-opening and it's largely true. You're probably just not going to turn your fortunes on the FA market. It's a great place to fill holes in your roster and eliminate drafting for need but you shouldn't rely on it or overspend in it.
[Reply]
Page 20 of 31
« First < 101617181920 2122232430 > Last »
Up