ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>A few "what if" scenarios...
Couch-Potato 06:05 PM 03-01-2023
Ok, let's use this thread to get "What if" or "Would you" scenario conversations going.

Here are a few to start the conversation:

1) DT J. Carter might fall in the draft due to recent news around fleeing the scene of an accident and lying to police. If Carter falls to the #11-#15 range, would you trade #31 + 2023 4th RD pick + 2024 1st to move up and get him?

2) Let's say RB Bijan Robinson falls to us at #31, would you take a generational talent BPA or are you too weary of 1st RD RBs to take him?

3) Which retread, veteran, 1-yr prove it deal would you prefer: M. Thomas, K. Golladay, or O. Beckam Jr

4) Hopkins is available via trade, would you offer a 3rd this year and a conditional 3rd next year?

5) Houston calls and offers #12 + #33 for C Jones, do you move him?

6) The Jets call and offer #13 for Orlando Brown Jr, do you move him?

7) JuJu's market get's hot and he wants a 3-yr deal around $18m, $20m, & $22m to stay in KC or he'll get more elsewhere...Do you resign him?

BONUS: Chief's superfan ChiefsAHolic breaks out of prison and runs out in front of your car on the hwy so you stop abruptly and let him in. He's got an extra wolf suite with him and he's been planning a big job, do you help him pull one last Bank Heist?

Please respond, debate, and add your own scenarios below...
[Reply]
The Franchise 06:13 PM 03-01-2023
1 - No
2 - No
3 - Thomas only if it’s cheap
4 - No but I would be really tempted.
5 - Yes
6 - No
[Reply]
bigjosh 06:14 PM 03-01-2023
1) DT J. Carter might fall in the draft due to recent news around fleeing the scene of an accident and lying to police. If Carter falls to the #11-#15 range, would you trade #31 + 2023 4th RD pick + 2024 1st to move up and get him?

No, thats QB level compensation. If he fell to 19-20 i would consider it.

2) Let's say RB Bijan Robinson falls to us at #31, would you take a generational talent BPA or are you too weary of 1st RD RBs to take him?

No thanks on running backs in round one ever again.

3) Which retread, veteran, 1-yr prove it deal would you prefer: M. Thomas, K. Golladay, or O. Beckam Jr

Golladay, the other two are documented premadonnas, and golladay wont demand the money the other two would.

3) Hopkins is available via trade, would you offer a 3rd this year and a conditional 3rd next year?

Yes. Id even entertain a second this year.

4) Houston calls and offers #12 + #33 for C Jones, do you move him?

Hardest decision ever, but yes.

5) The Jets call and offer #13 for Orlando Brown Jr, do you move him?

Yep, see ya.

6) JuJu's market get's hot and he wants a 3-yr deal starting around $18m, $20m, & $23m...Do you resign him?

Pass
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 06:20 PM 03-01-2023
Originally Posted by Couch-Potato:
Ok, let's use this thread to get "What if" or "Would you" scenario conversations going.

Here are a few to start the conversation:

3) Hopkins is available via trade, would you offer a 3rd this year and a conditional 3rd next year?

4) Houston calls and offers #12 + #33 for C Jones, do you move him?

5) The Jets call and offer #13 for Orlando Brown Jr, do you move him?

6) JuJu's market get's hot and he wants a 3-yr deal around $18m, $20m, & $22m to stay in KC or he'll get more elsewhere...Do you resign him?

Please respond, debate, and add your own scenarios below...
1. I would NOT trade into the 11-15 range to get Carter. That's just too rich for such a huge risk. If the dude Ruggses someone down the road, you're hosed.

2. I would consider it, but it depends on what options at WR, OT, DE, and TE are there. It's hard to believe that there wouldn't be one of those spots available.

3. Of that group, Golladay is an easy choice. I have zero interest in the other 2. It's not 2018.

4. Not unless he is demanding Donald money.

5. Yeah, with that pick in return I'd roll the dice on trading Brown and using #13 to get a long-term answer at LT.

6. Adios, Smith-Schuster.
[Reply]
Coogs 07:26 PM 03-01-2023
12, 13, 31, 33, 63, and 95 on the first two days of the draft, plus freeing up a ton of cap space could be interesting.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 07:28 PM 03-01-2023
Originally Posted by Coogs:
12, 13, 31, 33, 63, and 95 on the first two days of the draft, plus freeing up a ton of cap space could be interesting.
Who you taking with those picks?
[Reply]
kccrow 07:37 PM 03-01-2023
1) No. It's a close no but difficult to pull the trigger.
2) No. I won't take a RB in round 1. Ever.
3) O. Beckham Jr. Hot damn what a who's who of fuckery here. I'd venture to say None but I do feel like Beckham has the speed and agility that fits Reid's offense best. Golladay is just a flat-out no thanks and Thomas' foot just might be fucked.
4) No. I'm not trading more than a 4th for Hopkins and it's A 4th not multiple anythings.
5) Yes. It's close to a no simply because I'd like that 1st rounder to be a bit higher. That said, I can package the two picks and get to #5 or put together a package for #6 to take Murphy or Wilson if I want add a premium pass rusher back on a rookie deal plus get another impact player with the other 1st. I can also stand pat, grab a LT of the future and maybe move up from 31 for another guy. If I can doe #6 below first, then this becomes an absolute yes.
6) Yes. Not a doubt. Being in front of New England for a tackle is key. I can move around from here too, even into the top 10 if I feel I want a guy most specifically.
7) No. He can kick rocks at that price.
Bonus) Tempting but I like not being in prison.
[Reply]
Coogs 07:58 PM 03-01-2023
Who you taking with those picks?
I don’t know. I would be more interested to see what the guys that follow the draft more would do with them.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:10 PM 03-01-2023

Hell no. That's too much for any non-elite QB prospect. No.

Nope. RB's can be found anywhere, and the difference between 'elite' and 'good' is not worth the draft capital.

I don't want any of those guys for what they'll want to be paid. The juice ain't worth the squeeze.

5) Hopkins is available via trade, would you offer a 3rd this year and a conditional 3rd next year?

I think I've been clear about my feelings on this idea, but just in case there was any confusion, this is a reerun'd idea.
5) Houston calls and offers #12 + #33 for C Jones, do you move him?

Yes. I think you have to. I don't think they would, I think that is too steep, but you'd have to take it.

6) The Jets call and offer #13 for Orlando Brown Jr, do you move him?

yes, and then I'd hang up the phone, walk outside and scream "FUCK YES!" at the top of my lungs.

7) JuJu's market get's hot and he wants a 3-yr deal around $18m, $20m, & $22m to stay in KC or he'll get more elsewhere...Do you resign him?

Nope, thanks for all of your help, Juju, have a nice career, buddy.
BONUS: Chief's superfan ChiefsAHolic breaks out of prison and runs out in front of your car on the hwy so you stop abruptly and let him in. He's got an extra wolf suite with him and he's been planning a big job, do you help him pull one last Bank Heist?

How good at this can he be? He was robbing banks in a KC Wolf costume, for fuck's sake. No thanks.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 10:31 PM 03-01-2023
Originally Posted by Coogs:
I don’t know. I would be more interested to see what the guys that follow the draft more would do with them.
Alright guys, Coogs suggests we move both C Jones AND OBJ to end up with the following early picks: 12, 13, 31, 33, 63, and 95.

Who you taking with those picks in the draft?
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 11:57 PM 03-01-2023
Alright guys, Coogs suggests we move both C Jones AND OBJ to end up with the following early picks: 12, 13, 31, 33, 63, and 95.

Ran this one through PFF Mock Simulator and ended up with...

12. DT Breese
13. DL Kancey
31. OT Jones
33. DE Tuipuloto
63. DE Carter II
95. [Trade] D. Hopkins :-)

Not bad at all, we save in the trenches and add Hopkins to JuJu.
[Reply]
BossChief 12:14 AM 03-02-2023

If we’re also making a fair conversation, you’d have to include how you plan to spend the cap space that wouldn’t be allocated to them.

Jones is not taking less than 30m AAV and OBJ won’t take less than 25m AAV …so it’s not just the draft picks, but also the cap space that allows you to help the roster in other ways.

It’s an interesting thought snd if we didn’t have Veach, I wouldn’t even entertain the idea…but that scenario opens up a world of resources. It’s absolutely worth having a discussion on.
[Reply]
The Franchise 12:36 AM 03-02-2023
Originally Posted by BossChief:
If we’re also making a fair conversation, you’d have to include how you plan to spend the cap space that wouldn’t be allocated to them.

Jones is not taking less than 30m AAV and OBJ won’t take less than 25m AAV …so it’s not just the draft picks, but also the cap space that allows you to help the roster in other ways.

It’s an interesting thought snd if we didn’t have Veach, I wouldn’t even entertain the idea…but that scenario opens up a world of resources. It’s absolutely worth having a discussion on.
Sure but now you also have to come up with how you’re going to replace the actual talent and production as well. Your DT room is now null and void while you’re shoehorned into spending one of those high picks on a LT.
[Reply]
kccrow 12:49 AM 03-02-2023

If there is a QB sitting there, I have to think Arizona will get bombarded with calls for #3 and might take a more lucrative haul than maybe we'd want to offer but I'd start with a phone call to them for 1sts #12 and #31 and 4th #133. It fits the Hill model but not the Johnson model. They will want picks so maybe they'd bite if they aren't getting some much more lucrative offers. Not too many teams can offer two 1sts this year. The last time a team traded the #3 pick it went for #12 and two future 1sts and a 3rd. Those future firsts have about the same value as a first this year. In 2013 it went for #12 and #42 but there weren't good QB prospects.

IF I could get that pick from Arizona at that price I'd take Will Anderson, obviously. I'm having my doubts Arizona bites. I'm moving on...

Now, if I can't get to 3 then it gets dicey. Seattle has zero incentive to move out of #5 with the picks they have in this draft. Detroit also has limited incentive to move out of #6. Both are probably trades of 12 and 33 for 5/6 and a 4th-round kickback.

IF I could get to either of those spots, I'd opt for whichever remaining pass rusher there is from Murphy and Wilson. I just don't think it happens.

So not being able to move up into the top 5 is the basis for my actual mock here...

So, stuck at 12, I'm targeting my LT from whoever might remain in the group of Johnson, Jones, and Skoronski. I suspect Broderick Jones is the guy that's there and honestly, he has really outstanding upside. He's my dude.

The values at 13 probably lie in CB or WR. Obviously, we don't need a 1st round CB. Jalen Hyatt is tempting here. Here's the deal though, and I'm going to surprise you with this, we traded Chris Jones in this scenario and that's a tough pill to swallow. I'd go for Tuli Tuipulotu at 13. Hey, maybe some people feel that's a big reach on the surface but maybe it's not. I like this kid more than most and I'd do it. I think an NFL team that needs a pass-rushing DT is going to do it. I think he's a better player than any of the edge players right here. Let's not forget this cat had 12 sacks and 33 QB pressures this year.

Now we've kind of just spun our wheels, correct? We moved our LT and our HOF DT to take a LT and a DT. So what we have are our original draft picks and #33, so we better make sure as shit it counts. What do I really want to do at 31? I have that extra pick at 33 and feel really good about getting an edge there as much as I can at 31. I think there's a chance this guy will be around at pick 31 but he won't be there at 33 with Pittsburgh picking in between. I'm going to fix this offensive line for good and go with Darnell Wright at RT.

Moving to pick 33, now I'm going to get my edge rusher, finally. I'm going with Derick Hall from Auburn here. He's just the type the Chiefs need and he's a good locker-room dude from everything I've read. I just love this kid.

Now I'm looking at the board and I feel like there's just one more guy I have to have. I need this guy to remake my defense. He's not going to get past Pittsburgh at 49 in my eyes. I'm calling Detroit again. Hey, sorry it didn't work out at #6 but let's make it work for #48. I'm giving them 63 and 95 for 48. They want a 6th round kicker so I throw in 219. I get my baby mammoth to knock the snot out of people with Keeanu Benton.

1-12: LT Broderick Jones
1-13: DT Tuli Tuipulotu
1-31: RT Darnell Wright
2-33: ER Derick Hall
2-48: DT Keeanu Benton

So there you go. A completely re-made DL and OL for several years out.
[Reply]
BossChief 12:53 AM 03-02-2023
I guess the counter to that is you could depend on Cullen developing sone young guys into studs while adding a guy like Hargrave at DT at far less than you could sign Jones for while taking the first and drafting a kid like Van Ness at DE. In this scenario that probably leaves us with 12-15m in cap space from the CJ part of the trade off and pick 33.

You take the 33rd pick and the first from OBJ and move up to take a stud LT that has a toolbox that fits the demands this offense has on its LT better than OBJ…or you wait for one to fall and use the 33pick on a possible WR or one of the stud TEs possibly falls.

That’s strictly the discussion about the compensation opened up by those trades.

If a LT falls to within a couple slots of our pick and we can move up for one, then that opens up EVERYTHING after that because BV might trade up from 31 and trade up from 33, too…depending on the board.

That’s not even touching on how the difference in a rookie LT contract and the deal OBJ will want would greatly impact the teams cap health over the next 3 years snd would give give a spot in the cat bird seat to add some pieces and allow him to keep a lot of the players we are set to potentially lose this year and next.

It’s an interesting discussion to have.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up