ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Discount Kiper New Year Mock 2023
kccrow 11:14 PM 01-06-2023
Discount Kiper is back, shaggy hair and all. Let's roll.

Chiefs Offseason
The focus here is to lock down some shaky offensive line components and then get better at rushing the passer. I got the Chiefs doing just that...

Release Frank Clark ($19.6m savings) - Frank is garbage. The trash gets taken out.

Internal Signings:
OT Orlando Brown, Jr.: 6-yr, $139.5m deal that includes a $31.25m signing bonus, $65.25m guaranteed at signing, salary guarantees that trigger April 1 of years 4 and 5 and roster bonuses that trigger on the 5th day of the league year in years 4 and 5 (cap hits of 15.5, 18.5, 24.0, 27.0, 26.0, 28.5).
Look, I don't like Brown that much for this offense but he stays healthy and you can work with him if you don't have total crap on the right side too. I think the Chiefs are going to re-work last year's deal and keep him around. Not what I'd do, but call it a hunch.
DT Chris Jones: 3-yr, $80.5m extension that includes a $24.0m signing bonus, $41.0m guaranteed at signing and salary guarantees the last two years that trigger on the 5th day of the league year that could fully guarantee the contract, a conversion of 16.0m of 2023 salary to additional signing bonus with a full gurantee of the remaining 3.5m (cap hits of 21.0, 27.5, 28.5, and 30.5)
Chris Jones is the nuts and bolts of this defense. While the time is now to trade him, it's just too hard to get rid of the one guy that makes your pass rush respectable. Lock him up for the rest of his career and lets go.
CB L'Jarius Sneed: 3-yr, $42.0m extension that includes a $12.0m signing bonus and $19.5m in total guarantees (cap hits of 4.17, 11.0, 13.0, 15.0)
Sneed is the most important DB the Chiefs have as he's essentially taken over the role that Tyrann Mathieu had as the versatile playmaker functioning from the slot. Sneed has a ton of value and I see KC giving him a solid contract ala Mathieu in order to maintain that component long-term.
QB Patrick Mahomes: restructure $34.95m roster bonus to signing bonus
P Tommy Townsend: 4-yr $12.0m deal that includes a $2.0m signing bonus and $3.5m guaranteed at signing. (cap hits of 2.0, 2.5, 3.5, 4.0)
DT Tershawn Wharton: RFA ROFR tender 1-yr $2.63m
OG Nick Allegretti : 1-yr, $1.08m deal
DT Khalen Saunders: 1-yr, $1.08m deal
DB Deon Bush: 1-yr, $1.17m deal
FB Michael Burton: 1-yr, $1.17m deal
OT Prince Tega Wanogho: RFA ROFR tender 1-yr $2.63m
TE Jody Fortson: ERFA tag 1-yr $870k
QB Shane Buechele: ERFA tag 1-yr $870k

Free Agent Additions:
WR Darius Slayton (NYG age 26, 6'1" 190) to 3-yr $30.0m deal that includes a $6.0m signing bonus and $8.6m fully guaranteed (cap hits of 4.9, 11.0, 14.0)
Every time that Slayton has received playing time he's produced like at least a very good #2 yet he always ends up near the bottom of the depth chart to start the season in NY. It's time for him to find greener pastures and become the #1 WR he's capable of being.
OT Jawaan Taylor (JAX age 26, 6'5" 312) to 5-yr $87.0m deal that includes a $17.5m signing bonus, $30.5m guaranteed at signing, and potential guarantees of $37.5m (cap hits of 6.0, 15.0, 21.0, 22.0, 23.0)
Taylor has become one of the league's better RTs in the final year of his contract, after being a bit hit-and-miss his first few years. I think you bank on his long-term potential to become one of the league's best. Taylor has also been a pillar of health, which is a great thing for the Chiefs who need to lock up at least one tackle spot this offseason.
DE Clelin Ferrell (LV age 25, 6'5" 260) to 2-yr $7.0m deal that includes a 1.0m signing bonus and guaranteed base salary in 2023 (cap hits of 2.5, 4.5)
Ferrell wasn't terrible his rookie year but he wasn't given much of a chance after that. Ferrell was an excellent college player so I have a hard time believing he's as bad as the Raiders have made him and think he can be re-worked.
DE Marcus Davenport (NO age 26, 6'6" 264) to 2-yr $15.0m deal that includes a 5.0m signing bonus and guaranteed base salary in 2023 (cap hits of 6.0, 9.0)
Davenport has flashed game-changing ability but never seems to put it all together. Injuries haven't helped his cause either. He needs a change of scenery. I think Davenport could be a late bloomer as a potential 8-10 sack guy.
RB D'Ernest Johnson (CLE age 27, 5'10" 208) to a 1-yr $1.5m deal
Johnson has done some damage when given a shot but he's been buried behind two very good RBs in Cleveland. I have KC snagging a good rotational back on the cheap once again.
DT Javon Hargrave (PHI age 29, 6'1" 309) to a 3-yr $54.5m deal that includes a $16.5m signing bonus and $37.5m in total guarantees (cap hits of 15.5, 17.5, 21.5)
My big splurge on the defensive line goes to Hargrave who has shown he can be a difference-maker in all facets but unleashed a big pass rush this season with 11 sacks. Hargrave and Jones will provide an absurd interior pass-rush presence to help the younger ends out.

Chiefs Let Walk:
OT Andrew Wylie, WR JuJu Smith-Schuster, FS Juan Thornhill, DE Carlos Dunlap, DT Brandon Williams, DT Derrick Nnadi, WR Justin Watson, WR Mecole Hardman, TE Blake Bell, RB Ronald Jones II, , DT Taylor Stallworth, RB Jerick McKinnon, LB Darius Harris, DB Chris Lammons, QB Chad Henne

2023 Draft

1. DE Felix Anudike-Uzomah, Kansas State (6'3" 255)
Even though I have the Chiefs picking up two former 1st round picks in free agency, those are more of hope and poke signings that you feel could work out. The Chiefs will still need to double-down on their bets, so I have them going with the home-grown athletic freak in Anudike-Uzomah. Felix can do one thing really well and that's get after the passer with speed and fury off the edge. He might not be a base end right away but he's going to be a terror when he can just pin his ears back and go.
Spoiler!

2. DT DeWayne Carter, Duke (6'3" 298)
Carter has developed into my crush in this draft on the defensive line. He's a game-wrecker on the interior with outstanding get-off, quickness, and closing speed to the QB. With Jones, Hargrave, Carter, and Wharton, the Chiefs would feature constant interior disruption.
Spoiler!

3. WR Tyler Scott, Cincinnati (5'10" 171)
I featured adding Slayton in FA, who runs a 4.39, to add even more speed to a good group. Now I have them adding another slot guy in Scott that can take the doors off as well. The Chiefs will be 6-deep in 4.4 or better speed. Chef's kiss.
Spoiler!

4. (f/MIA) LB Payton Wilson, NC State (6'4" 230)
I like to pretend I'm pretty good at identifying talent at LB and I really like Wilson. I might have him higher if it weren't for some injury concerns and Wilson is definitely unpolished, but he has athleticism in spades with the range to make plays anywhere on the field. I see him in the same light is Overshown from Texas but I think you can get Wilson at a discount. He's adequate in coverage and solid as a blitz option off the edge. He needs to get bigger, stronger, and develop more understanding of the game but you can see the tools. He'd have a year to marinate behind Willie Gay and eventually take over there.
Spoiler!

4. Payne Durham, TE, Purdue (6'5" 255)
Durham has good height and size with solid speed for a TE. He knows how to get open in the intermediate zone and has soft hands, which is what you really want from a TE. He was Aidan O'Connell's go-to guy when faced with pressure.
Spoiler!

5. DB Avery Young, Rutgers (6'0" 205)
I think the Chiefs will look to add another safety on day 3 of the draft to help fill out the roster and Avery Young makes a lot of sense as one of those versatile guys Spags likes. Young has played CB, deep safety, in the box, and in the slot. He's been stellar as a slot defender similar to the role Sneed plays. With no viable replacement for Sneed if he went down, I think that's the skill set they'll look for.
6. OT Isaac Moore, Temple (6'6" 308)
After releasing Christian on waivers (subsequently losing him to Miami), he won't be back. That leaves KC dangerously thin for quality reserve tackles. I have them RFA tendering Tega Wanogho but they need a long-term developmental guy in the pipeline. I like Moore's athleticism but he's a bit raw coming from Temple. I think you can coach this kid up to be a quality reserve, and maybe more.
7. (f/ATL) DT Jerrod Clark, Coastal Carolina (6'4" 340)
With Isaiah Likely and Jeffery Gunter being drafted last year and the former playing well for the Ravens, there will no doubt be more eyes on the Coastal program. Clark was invited to the Senior Bowl, so we'll have to see how that impacts his stock. Right now I have him as a late developmental guy ala Gunter. Clark is a space-eater and is capable of making a significant push in the middle but he's inconsistent. There's a legit chance this kid could be coached into a monster, especially if he stays dedicated to the weight room.
7. QB Tim DeMorat, Fordham (6'4" 220)
Coming from a small school like Fordham doesn't get you many looks but DeMorat lit up the Patriot League, including over 4800 yards and 56 TDs this year, for a couple of seasons running so he's most definitely on the radar. He's got quality size with good movement skills and puts proper touch on passes to all levels of the field.
Spoiler!

7. (Comp) RB Xazavian Valladay, Arizona State (6'0" 199)
Valladay isn't a speed merchant as his size would seem to indicate but he knows how to find open lanes and make the most of them. I like his receiving and blocking skills a lot and feel like he could step into the role that McKinnon currently occupies and thrive.
Spoiler!

7. (Comp) OT Dylan Wonnum, South Carolina (6'5" 308)
Wonnum is a very solid blocker in all facets with good but not great athleticism. He's unlikely to fit on the outside in the NFL but he projects nicely as a guard and has some power in the run game. A 2021 back injury that required surgery is probably going to push him down or off boards so despite 4th round talent I think he falls.
7. (Comp) WR Nikko Remigio, Fresno State (5'10" 185)
Remigio transferred from Cal and played at Fresno this year but not much changed in terms of his dynamic ability on the field. He was once again used as a slot receiver where he could use his quickness. He saw a significant uptick in receptions (38 to 74) and finished with 852 yards and 6 TDs. His return game, however, is the reason to draft this kid (3rd in the NCAA in combined return yards) as he's been productive there at both stops. KC definitely needs someone to rely on as a return man, so go get one that did it well in college on the cheap.
Spoiler!

QB: P. Mahomes II, S. Buechele, T. DeMorat
RB: I. Pacheco, C. Edwards-Helaire, D. Johnson, X. Valladay
FB: M. Burton
TE: T. Kelce, N. Gray, P. Durham, J. Fortson
WR: D. Slayton, M. Valdes-Scantling, K. Toney, S. Moore, T. Scott, N. Remigio
OT: O. Brown Jr, J. Taylor, L. Niang, P. Tega Wanogho, I. Moore
IL: J. Thuney, C. Humphrey, T. Smith, N. Allegretti, D. Kinnard, D. Wonnum

ED: G. Karlaftis, F. Anudike-Uzomah, M. Davenport, C. Ferrell, M. Danna, M. Herring, J. Kaindoh
DT: C. Jones, J. Hargrave, D. Carter, T. Wharton, K. Saunders, J. Clark
LB: N. Bolton, W. Gay, L. Chenal, P. Wilson, J. Cochrane
CB: T. McDuffie, J. Watson, L. Sneed, J. Williams, N. Johnson
DB: J. Reid, B. Cook, D. Bush, A. Young
[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:36 AM 01-07-2023
I understand he's 30, but Mckinnon at this stage of his career won't be looking for big money elsewhere; it's not in his interest to go anywhere else, and he can obviously still play. I'd keep him, although I'd certainly add a back in the draft.

Other than that, I like this offseason, although I admit I don't know a ton about the individual players I like the positional emphasis.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 08:49 AM 01-07-2023
I don’t like some of the additions, but I also get it and can see it happening.

But God that WR group is complete ass, yet again.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 08:51 AM 01-07-2023
Also, doesn’t KC still have an extra 3rd coming back for losing Poles?
[Reply]
bigjosh 09:02 AM 01-07-2023
Originally Posted by OKchiefs:
Also, doesn’t KC still have an extra 3rd coming back for losing Poles?

Traded the poles pick for Kadarious toney I believe
[Reply]
OKchiefs 09:38 AM 01-07-2023
Originally Posted by bigjosh:
Traded the poles pick for Kadarious toney I believe
Shit that’s right. Well here’s to Toney continuing to stay healthy and playing like the 1st round talent we think he is.
[Reply]
Urc Burry 10:15 AM 01-07-2023
Cut MVS and put that money with Slaytons towards Juju IMO. MVS might be more frustrating than Demarcus. Yes he has the speed to get open downfield every now and then, but he’s just not a good receiver
[Reply]
Chris Meck 10:34 AM 01-07-2023
One thing I've noticed in messing around with the draft and looking at FA is that this team is going to look very different every season for the foreseeable future. There may well be seasons where the offense is less a #1 offense and more a top ten type offense, but the defense is markedly better. That's going to take some getting used to, but if you look at the blueprint for an extended dynasty (The 2001-2018 Patriots), that's perfectly okay.

Also, if you look at that Brady era Patriots dynasty-there were few seasons with anything close to a gamebreaking #1 receiver. Lot of TE oriented offenses, lots of passes to the backs, some chain moving slot receivers, etc.

So I'm confident that Mahomes plus best 52 is the way to contend for EVERY Superbowl for the next ten to fifteen years.

That being said, if they can get Toney into Yoga, I feel like he and Skyy could well develop into a really nice #1 and #2 complementary pair.
[Reply]
kccrow 10:34 AM 01-07-2023
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I understand he's 30, but Mckinnon at this stage of his career won't be looking for big money elsewhere; it's not in his interest to go anywhere else, and he can obviously still play. I'd keep him, although I'd certainly add a back in the draft.

Other than that, I like this offseason, although I admit I don't know a ton about the individual players I like the positional emphasis.
Legit point.
[Reply]
kccrow 10:35 AM 01-07-2023
Originally Posted by Urc Burry:
Cut MVS and put that money with Slaytons towards Juju IMO. MVS might be more frustrating than Demarcus. Yes he has the speed to get open downfield every now and then, but he’s just not a good receiver
Honestly, I much prefer Slayton for this offense over JuJu.
[Reply]
Urc Burry 11:23 AM 01-07-2023
Originally Posted by kccrow:
Honestly, I much prefer Slayton for this offense over JuJu.
Admittedly I haven’t watched a whole lot of him. I could have sworn he missed way more games than it appears.

The one thing about Juju, and he probably is replaceable. But I think it proves that while Kelce will be missed when he finally runs out of gas.. Mahomes is going to be just fine having a big physical body that gets open underneath

Also I’d love to know what they think behind closed doors about Justyn Ross. I’m like most and am just assuming he never amounts to much. But I wonder if they have hopes he’s more than just a lottery ticket.
[Reply]
Chargem 11:38 AM 01-07-2023
You've turned the Dline into a monster, I can see the defense being a top 5 unit with what you have done here, and the offense is the same/better.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 12:18 PM 01-07-2023
Originally Posted by Chargem:
You've turned the Dline into a monster, I can see the defense being a top 5 unit with what you have done here, and the offense is the same/better.
I think it makes the defensive line very deep, and that's a good idea. Fresh horses late in games, and late in the season. I agree that could be a top 10 at least defense.

Offensively, I could see the passing offense taking a step back, although the offense as a whole need not as long as we are a little more balanced in pass/run than we have been. Not Martyball, but more like 60/40 rather than 70/30. It'll help the young receivers.
[Reply]
Direckshun 12:41 PM 01-07-2023
I really like what you've done at DE.

I am not crazy about the big price tags for both tackles. This team's going to have to drop coin sooner than later for Humphries/Smith, and Thuney is a pretty penny as well.

I don't see a way around that except for going OT in the 1st or 2nd.
[Reply]
O.city 01:52 PM 01-07-2023
I like it
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up