ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 7
< 1234 567 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>WR Deandre Hopkins?
Couch-Potato 09:30 AM 12-26-2022
I saw a few articles suggesting that the Cardinals might trade Deandre Hopkins this offseason. They've only won 4 games this year, might need to cash in and rebuild. Many believe he'd end up in NE after Bill Belichick flirted with him on the sidelines recently, but I'm wondering if he wants to play for a winning team at some point in his career. Others, like the Giants are speculating he could be had for a 2nd RD pick, which means if we were interested it would likely cost us a 2nd + an additional pick.

Hopkins contract salary is for $19.5m & $15m over the next two years, even if you paid JuJu $20m you'd still only be paying $10m more than Tyreek's contract for both. Hopkins missed 6 games, and JuJu has missed 1, but JuJu is only 160 yards ahead of Hopkins, both with 3 TDS and 11 yards per catch, so he hasn't lost a step. Hopkins also plays on the outside, and we could really use a tall outside WR, plus he's a phenomenal deep threat.

I think it'd be really interesting to explore a Deandre Hopkins trade this offseason with all those extra picks, for maybe a 2nd & 5th(?), to hopefully pair him with JuJu. Let Hardman, Watson AND MVS ($8.5m next year & $11.5m the following) walk.

Imagine rolling that Tyreek trade into the greatest passing attack we've ever had, and then blowing THAT offense out of the water the following year!

TE Kelce - Stalwart Goat TE
WR Hopkins - Tall Star Outside Deep Threat
WR JuJu - Big & Tall Slot Star
WR Toney - Fast & Crazy Agile Gadget / Returner
WR Moore - Chain Mover, grows into highly reliable route runner & pass catcher
WR Ross - Surprise Talent, has 2 year to learn from Hopkins
WR Rookie - New Blood
[Reply]
O.city 08:31 AM 02-24-2023
Originally Posted by kccrow:
This is precisely how I feel.

Trading for Hopkins isn't the problem. The money can work as is. Changing the money or paying more than day 3 is an absolute no in my opinion. Can a team outbid a low 4th rounder from KC? You bet your ass they can, and likely will.
Is he really even worth it? I mean I know he's a good player, but man he's over 30.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 10:01 AM 02-24-2023
Originally Posted by O.city:
Is he really even worth it? I mean I know he's a good player, but man he's over 30.
I think he's worth the 2/$34M his current contract would cost you. But I don't really believe he's going to play on that.

Maybe (MAYBE) he would agree to something that involves playing on it if his year 2 is voided if they win the SB or make the AFC championship game or something like that, but who knows?

And the Chiefs are definitely going to have to send their 2nd and maybe more to get him. Does that really clock?
[Reply]
O.city 11:03 AM 02-24-2023
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
I think he's worth the 2/$34M his current contract would cost you. But I don't really believe he's going to play on that.

Maybe (MAYBE) he would agree to something that involves playing on it if his year 2 is voided if they win the SB or make the AFC championship game or something like that, but who knows?

And the Chiefs are definitely going to have to send their 2nd and maybe more to get him. Does that really clock?
Hasn't he already voiced that he wants a new contract?
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 11:26 AM 02-24-2023
Originally Posted by O.city:
Hasn't he already voiced that he wants a new contract?
If he hasn't, the rumor has been floated by NFL reporters, which means his agent has voiced it to reporters.
[Reply]
kcbubb 10:53 PM 02-26-2023
I just don’t see this happening. Plus we need to give skyy and toney a shot. We already had the number #1 offense. I’d invest in the o-line and the defense. That’s what the chiefs need to win with mahomes and Andy. We can win the sb with cheaper free agents and draft picks at wr and rb.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 09:04 AM 02-27-2023
Originally Posted by kcbubb:
I just don’t see this happening. Plus we need to give skyy and toney a shot. We already had the number #1 offense. I’d invest in the o-line and the defense. That’s what the chiefs need to win with mahomes and Andy. We can win the sb with cheaper free agents and draft picks at wr and rb.
This is a practical take, but I think trading for Hopkins would more of a "let's blow the lid off this mother fucker" type move that further separates us from the rest of the league.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:20 AM 02-28-2023
I don't think he's worth it AT ALL to the Kansas City Chiefs.

I think this is regressive thinking.

This offense is now predicated on multiple places to go with the ball, and paying Hopkins is a step back to hero ball, which was showing diminishing returns.

This is not the way.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 09:10 AM 02-28-2023
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I don't think he's worth it AT ALL to the Kansas City Chiefs.

I think this is regressive thinking.

This offense is now predicated on multiple places to go with the ball, and paying Hopkins is a step back to hero ball, which was showing diminishing returns.

This is not the way.
I think that's a fair argument. I think when folks are dreaming of this scenario there also expecting Hopkins to be comfortable taking a step down in his responsibilities and acting more as a 1b or 2a weapon.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:30 AM 02-28-2023
Originally Posted by Couch-Potato:
I think that's a fair argument. I think when folks are dreaming of this scenario there also expecting Hopkins to be comfortable taking a step down in his responsibilities and acting more as a 1b or 2a weapon.
That's seriously wishful thinking. Somebody will pay him, thinking he's the missing piece. KC should not, and there's no way they will. They've already pivoted to a different path.

KC is zigging while the rest of the league zags.

You need weapons, no question. But you don't need high dollar, top of the market guys. If you can draft and develop them, cool-but absolutely don't buy them at elite prices.
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 10:44 AM 02-28-2023
With the reports that Golladay is going to be cut, I think that would be our vet WR target. Nothing revives a career like playing for the best QB and offensive mind in the business.
[Reply]
Abba-Dabba 11:05 AM 02-28-2023
Originally Posted by GloucesterChief:
With the reports that Golladay is going to be cut, I think that would be our vet WR target. Nothing revives a career like playing for the best QB and offensive mind in the business.
Not down with either Hopkins or Golladay.

Both for many reasons.

But what career is Kenny Golladay going to revive here? He is the same receiver he has always been. Disappointing.
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 11:22 AM 02-28-2023
Originally Posted by RubberSponge:
Not down with either Hopkins or Golladay.

Both for many reasons.

But what career is Kenny Golladay going to revive here? He is the same receiver he has always been. Disappointing.
He was a good WR with Stafford throwing to him. Not so good in the Danny Dimes/Joe Judge O.
[Reply]
Bowser 11:34 AM 02-28-2023
I'd rather offer a 2 year 34 million contract to Michael Gallup and save the draft pick. Gallup is most likely to get more years and dollars from someone else but dangle it out there for him and give him a chance to play with Mahomes and this offense and see what happens. What could it hurt? And I say that as a fan of Hopkins that would be thrilled to see him here.

And we're all assuming they won't throw some money at JuJu this offseason, too. I know he has the knee issue, but would any of us be shocked to see JJSS back next season?
[Reply]
Abba-Dabba 11:36 AM 02-28-2023
Originally Posted by GloucesterChief:
He was a good WR with Stafford throwing to him. Not so good in the Danny Dimes/Joe Judge O.
How did that work out for Detroit?

It's not like he lit the world on fire in Detroit either. He maxed out at 70 rec. for one season and year after year after that he has declined.

Kenny Golladay for his skillset has been a disappointment in the NFL.

I'm not quite down with the idea that just because of Mahomes that he will bring out everything you have hoped for in all these never lived up to expectation guys. The idea of all the reclamation projects will be successful is a disaster waiting to happen.
[Reply]
Bowser 11:42 AM 02-28-2023
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
That's seriously wishful thinking. Somebody will pay him, thinking he's the missing piece. KC should not, and there's no way they will. They've already pivoted to a different path.

KC is zigging while the rest of the league zags.

You need weapons, no question. But you don't need high dollar, top of the market guys. If you can draft and develop them, cool-but absolutely don't buy them at elite prices.
The plus side of any receiver coming to KC - Mahomes and Andy with a shot at the title.

The downside of any receiver coming to KC - no matter who you are and what you've done, you will NOT be the 1A receiving option here. The receiving option in this offense is powered by Kelce first and foremost. The whole damned offense is built around him, really. Can Hopkins play second fiddle to a tight end? Maybe? I feel Gallup or Golladay could, but I wonder if DHop would be ok with lesser numbers than he's used to putting up*.

*and I say that understanding Tyreek had 156 targets his last season here. I feel it's obvious to say this offense became better and more lethal when Mahomes was forced to spread it around more and not force feed it to two guys
[Reply]
Page 4 of 7
< 1234 567 >
Up