ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 14
< 123 456713 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>** 2023 Sporting Kansas City Thread **
|Zach| 08:38 PM 12-22-2022
Schedule has been released. The St. Louis team is now in the league and we play them 3 times. Lots of attacking power on this team with Agada, Russell, Salloi, and hopefully a healthy Pulido and Kinda.

Players In

M - Nemanja Radoja (10/26/22 - free transfer)
D - Graham Zusi (12/2/22 - free agent)
D - Andreu Fontas (12/2/22 - free agent)
M - Roger Espinoza (12/2/22 - free agent)
F - Stephen Afrifa (12/21/22 - draft)
D - Chris Rindov (12/21/22 - draft)

Players out

D - Nicolas Isimat-Mirin (11/15/22 - option declined)
D - Kaveh Rad (11/15/22 - option declined)

[Reply]
POND_OF_RED 08:33 PM 02-19-2023
Should be a make or break year for Vermes. The rest of the league has been making big splashes in transfers and veteran free agents and leaving us in the dust while Vermes stays adamant to build within. We refused to address what everyone could see was a very weak group of attacking players last year until the summer transfer window. We still somehow re-signed Shelton after that disaster. Now going into this season we once again have a glaring weakness at CB. That’s including when Ford was in the lineup. Honestly his injury could help us so Vermes doesn’t test him on the field again this year. Guy was terrible last season. Fontas is good, but now we’re gonna be lining up a 24 year old USL player next to him? I don’t understand the ownership group refusing to patch holes in what everyone can see are glaring weaknesses in the team. Where is the depth at winger? What happens if Salloi or Russell get hurt? Do we not plan on resting them this season? Haha
[Reply]
|Zach| 08:33 PM 02-19-2023
First game against the new St Louis at their new place in May.

[Reply]
POND_OF_RED 08:35 PM 02-19-2023
Originally Posted by |Zach|:
Disagree with your premise. Hey man if you just want to be a bitching fan then that is just fine the internet is full of them.

They need to be sure to take care of the defense in the middle but beyond that this team is really well positioned to have a great year.
You saying we’re going to miss Ford this season just shows the homer glasses you wear for this team. I love the Leibold and Radoja signings, but the lack of action this season to address the CB issue and the lack of response last year for attacking players is a joke and it’s embarrassing to have an ownership group this out of touch with the teams needs
[Reply]
|Zach| 08:41 PM 02-19-2023
Originally Posted by POND_OF_RED:
You saying we’re going to miss Ford this season just shows the homer glasses you wear for this team. I love the Leibold and Radoja signings, but the lack of action this season to address the CB issue and the lack of response last year for attacking players is a joke and it’s embarrassing to have an ownership group this out of touch with the teams needs
You should have a serious talk with whoever it is that is making you watch this embarrassing team and tell them you should have the freedom to do what you want.

Ford was absolutely going to be a part of the plans at CB and this idea that players...especially players as young as there are in MLS do not improve year to year and just are what they are is typical of modern sports fans who would rather emote on message boards.

This is not the EPL there are not teams without weaknesses...roster rules limit everybody.

Besides all of that. The forward and midfield play put the CB in terrible positions last year...I don't think they are as bad as some think. They were not put in positions be successful. Having the rest of the team functioning at a higher level immediately puts them out of the lower 3rd in goals against.
[Reply]
POND_OF_RED 01:46 PM 02-20-2023
You should have a serious talk with whoever it is that is making you watch this embarrassing team and tell them you should have the freedom to do what you want.

Ford was absolutely going to be a part of the plans at CB and this idea that players...especially players as young as there are in MLS do not improve year to year and just are what they are is typical of modern sports fans who would rather emote on message boards.

This is not the EPL there are not teams without weaknesses...roster rules limit everybody.

Besides all of that. The forward and midfield play put the CB in terrible positions last year...I don't think they are as bad as some think. They were not put in positions be successful. Having the rest of the team functioning at a higher level immediately puts them out of the lower 3rd in goals against.
To be fair, you are right. Ford might show improvement this season with the Achilles tear. He might be in better position on the bench than he was most of last season when he was actually on the field. :-)

I noticed you haven’t answered who we have for Winger or CB depth this season and instead just deflect to “your choice to follow the team” logic when obvious criticism is laid out for our ownership group. We just better hope Fontas can stay healthy and play every match for us this season. After that we have literally no depth whatsoever. We have Voloder and this new 24 year old USL product. To not make any moves in the off-season when that is your CB depth is a joke. Did we really think Voloder, Fontas and Ford were enough? Didn’t we see enough of the Ford experiment last season? Are we really just planning on playing Radoja at CB and not having a valuable #6 to run Vermes style of play with?

To your last point, are you agreeing that Vermes is on the hot seat if he can’t figure out how to get his players into positions to be successful again? It’s his system that was leaving the CB’s in those positions and he refuses to adjust to anything outside of his high press system even when it was apparent it wasn’t working with the players he had. We can’t protect him anymore from his shortcomings if we want to actually keep up with the rest of the league growing.

If we didn’t have the money to make off-season acquisitions to get better at winger and CB, then why did you post about us almost getting Ronaldo a couple months ago. Surely we could afford a CB between USL pricing and whatever we were going to waste on Ronaldo right? Where was that money coming from and how did it disappear so fast?

Luckily the KC Current ownership group isn’t as cheap and worthless as SKC’s current group or we might have a long summer ahead of mediocre soccer. Which is unfortunate because it’s really just a couple big holes that SKC has. They just refused to address them again.

Any fan of a team with an ownership group that out of touch with what the team needs should be furious. There aren’t any other local MLS teams to root for here in KC, but believe me most people would hop over if they could at this point. The cauldron and the fans have become extremely stale in recent years. They pretty much just bang drums and sing “this is the song that never ends” nowadays. Have they created any new chants or songs in the last 5 years?

I love Sporting KC, but you’re blind if you can’t see the direction the team is headed in. The excitement of the re-brand and new stadium has worn off by now, unfortunately. They need to make another big signing to bring some excitement back to the club. Something tells me this 24 year old USL scrub isn’t that.
[Reply]
|Zach| 06:16 PM 02-20-2023
Originally Posted by POND_OF_RED:
To be fair, you are right. Ford might show improvement this season with the Achilles tear. He might be in better position on the bench than he was most of last season when he was actually on the field. :-)

I noticed you haven’t answered who we have for Winger or CB depth this season and instead just deflect to “your choice to follow the team” logic when obvious criticism is laid out for our ownership group. We just better hope Fontas can stay healthy and play every match for us this season. After that we have literally no depth whatsoever. We have Voloder and this new 24 year old USL product. To not make any moves in the off-season when that is your CB depth is a joke. Did we really think Voloder, Fontas and Ford were enough? Didn’t we see enough of the Ford experiment last season? Are we really just planning on playing Radoja at CB and not having a valuable #6 to run Vermes style of play with?

To your last point, are you agreeing that Vermes is on the hot seat if he can’t figure out how to get his players into positions to be successful again? It’s his system that was leaving the CB’s in those positions and he refuses to adjust to anything outside of his high press system even when it was apparent it wasn’t working with the players he had. We can’t protect him anymore from his shortcomings if we want to actually keep up with the rest of the league growing.

If we didn’t have the money to make off-season acquisitions to get better at winger and CB, then why did you post about us almost getting Ronaldo a couple months ago. Surely we could afford a CB between USL pricing and whatever we were going to waste on Ronaldo right? Where was that money coming from and how did it disappear so fast?

Luckily the KC Current ownership group isn’t as cheap and worthless as SKC’s current group or we might have a long summer ahead of mediocre soccer. Which is unfortunate because it’s really just a couple big holes that SKC has. They just refused to address them again.

Any fan of a team with an ownership group that out of touch with what the team needs should be furious. There aren’t any other local MLS teams to root for here in KC, but believe me most people would hop over if they could at this point. The cauldron and the fans have become extremely stale in recent years. They pretty much just bang drums and sing “this is the song that never ends” nowadays. Have they created any new chants or songs in the last 5 years?

I love Sporting KC, but you’re blind if you can’t see the direction the team is headed in. The excitement of the re-brand and new stadium has worn off by now, unfortunately. They need to make another big signing to bring some excitement back to the club. Something tells me this 24 year old USL scrub isn’t that.
If you don't like SKC anymore that is fine but I think you are going out of your way to not want to like it and ignoring how good the team is good be. The fact that you went this whole time without mentioning Agada...an impact signing that was literally incredible in his instant impact scoring goals at will and also Erik Thommy a skilled professional who has brought a polish and control and bite to the attacking midfield.

All of your gripes are evergreen bullshit that apply to the whole league. Are you really that concerned with attacking depth with this roster? Do you think MLS is structured to have awesome depth at all these different positions? Are you new to this league?

It is fine to ignore the good players there...the good players returning to the team...and the good players that have been recently signed. It is also completely fine to not be into MLS soccer and SKC anymore. It is also fine you seem to only judge signings based on $$ But there is no reason you have to pretend you are having this conversation in good faith. If the shine of the new stadium is what was keeping you then....bye?
[Reply]
POND_OF_RED 06:33 PM 02-20-2023
If you don't like SKC anymore that is fine but I think you are going out of your way to not want to like it and ignoring how good the team is good be. The fact that you went this whole time without mentioning Agada...an impact signing that was literally incredible in his instant impact scoring goals at will and also Erik Thommy a skilled professional who has brought a polish and control and bite to the attacking midfield.

All of your gripes are evergreen bullshit that apply to the whole league. Are you really that concerned with attacking depth with this roster? Do you think MLS is structured to have awesome depth at all these different positions? Are you new to this league?

It is fine to ignore the good players there...the good players returning to the team...and the good players that have been recently signed. It is also completely fine to not be into MLS soccer and SKC anymore. It is also fine you seem to only judge signings based on $$ But there is no reason you have to pretend you are having this conversation in good faith. If the shine of the new stadium is what was keeping you then....bye?
Agada only looked amazing because we spent half a season with Khiry ****ing Shelton because our shitty owners refused to address a huge gaping hole that Stevie Wonder could have seen going into the season. Just like the huge gaping hole at CB that we had this offseason they refused to address. I just want SOME depth. When you have 3 CB’s going into a season with a new in season tournament as well now you get forced into cheering for shitty USL scrub players to replace a MLS scrub that “seems like a nice guy” to quote your Tommy Boy philosophy on judging CB talent. Don’t worry Vermes will squeeze another #6 into the CB spot and we’ll blame the midfielders and forwards for “putting them in bad position” again. Take those homer glasses off and admit the failure to address CB was a big problem and we should be worried going into this season with what we have. The Agada signing gives us depth at striker, but Salloi and Russell are really your only starting wingers. Why is Khiry Shelton still even on this team? Where does he fit in?
[Reply]
POND_OF_RED 03:17 PM 02-21-2023

Major League Soccer Announces Audi 2023 MLS Cup Playoffs Format and Schedulehttps://t.co/HL2MKircFd

— MLS Communications (@MLS_PR) February 21, 2023

MLS is adding a best of 3 to the opening round of the playoffs. Why? No one ****ing knows. :-) What a joke. Just stop trying to be “original” and ****ing everything up MLS.
[Reply]
Al Czervik 08:19 PM 02-21-2023
Besides being a total douchebag, Vermes sucks as a coach. Time to move on.....
[Reply]
|Zach| 08:25 PM 02-21-2023
Don't love the new playoff format. We will see after an actual post season of it.
[Reply]
Hark Clunt 09:59 PM 02-21-2023
it feels like SKC has run out of kit ideas and they're just phoning in the hoop look at this point.

i remember around 2014 when they had the state line, hoops, and black argyle kit all in the rotation. not the most functional from a kit clash perspective, but all 3 of those kits individually were freaking gorgeous. the black argyle kit is one of my favorite kits ever from any club.
[Reply]
morphius 10:14 AM 02-22-2023
Don't love the new playoff format. We will see after an actual post season of it.
It is very strange, single game elimination for wild card, then 3 game playoff, then 1 game playoff to get to championship. I understand that home/away thing always seemed to be a mess, but this seems kludgy.
[Reply]
|Zach| 06:42 PM 02-22-2023
Originally Posted by morphius:
It is very strange, single game elimination for wild card, then 3 game playoff, then 1 game playoff to get to championship. I understand that home/away thing always seemed to be a mess, but this seems kludgy.
I liked the format we had last year just fine.
[Reply]
|Zach| 06:43 PM 02-22-2023
SKC extends Vermes.

NEWS: Sporting Kansas City sign Manager and Sporting Director Peter Vermes to a contract extension through 2028.

�� https://t.co/3fKyfmEnCK#SportingKC | @Shift4 pic.twitter.com/lmgPhlE4pF

— Sporting Kansas City (@SportingKC) February 22, 2023

Peter Vermes is signing a five-year extension with Sporting KC, he confirmed in a sit-down interview with The Star here in Arizona.

But before he signed on for five more? He turned down a request to interview with the U.S. men's national team.

More here:https://t.co/Ga6bTnADbc

— Sam McDowell (@SamMcDowell11) February 22, 2023

[Reply]
POND_OF_RED 09:17 PM 02-22-2023
SKC extends Vermes.

[Reply]
Page 3 of 14
< 123 456713 > Last »
Up