ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 10
« First < 45678 910 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Okay, so what *is* your plan for the 2023 passrush?
Direckshun 03:43 PM 11-08-2022
Alright, it's bleeding into multiple threads, so let's forge a master thread to control all others, and into this thread we will pour our cruelty, our malice, and our will to dominate all life. Truly a thread to rule them all.

You guys shat on me when I wanted to pour two 1sts into Brian Burns. You guys shat on me when I wanted to pour two 1sts into Josh Allen. And just for fun a couple of you guys were jerks when I wanted to go sign Bradley Chubb this coming offseason.

Just a bunch of meanies.

So what is your plan, exactly? This team needs a front four that can get pressure, Karlaftis isn't developing with the speed we'd like, and Jones is the only guy who can get to the QB.

What's your plan?

Here's the free agent passrushers this coming offseason. And the Chiefs do have 11 draft picks, but only one 1st, one 2nd, and one 3rd.

Are you going to burn a 1st? You're probably going to need that 1st (plus additional ammo) to get the offensive tackle you're simultaneously complaining we need to replace Brown at LT. If you take the 1st for DL, you're tagging and/or extending Brown, and you should say so.

I assume you're cutting Frank Clark, so the Chiefs will have about $50m to play with, but this is your 2023 depth chart right now:

DE: Danna, Herring
DT: Jones,
DT:
DE: Karlaftis, Kaindoh

That's it, suckers. You're probably going to need to add two DEs, and three DTs, minimum.

Current Chiefs who will be RFA: Wharton

Current Chiefs who will be FA: Saunders, Nnadi, Dunlap, Stallworth, Shelton, Azur Kamara

So what's your plan? kccrow's? His top three DEs are Karlaftis, Mike Danna, and Dawuane Smoot. I'm underwhelmed and ashamed.

Whatever your plan is, be prepared for me to hate it. I just hate it already.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 09:17 PM 12-08-2022
Our pass rush is considerably better this year from last in both pressures and sacks. We definitely aren't there yet, but give this young secondary another year and add a quality edge rusher and we could be top 3rd...
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 09:18 PM 12-08-2022
Originally Posted by DRM08:
If you get JJ Watt, a decent strategy might be to save him for the 4th quarter of close regular season games and obviously the 2nd half of close Playoff games. I think perhaps he could be a good teacher/coach for younger players like Karlaftis. That's where Watt could provide a ton of value, regardless of what he might be doing on the field.
Veach isn't going to add a washed up old vet unless he comes on a thin deal or late in the year like Suggs or Engram.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:52 PM 12-08-2022
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
Veach isn't going to add a washed up old vet unless he comes on a thin deal or late in the year like Suggs or Engram.
Watt has made plenty of money. He's had every individual accolade there is. The one thing he's not had is play-off success, or a chance at a championship.
At his age, with his injury history, I think the days of the big deal for him are over, and I would expect he knows that. IF he still has hunger for a championship, this would be the place.

I'm absolutely not throwing a bunch of money at him, but at a small deal, and limited snaps to fill the Suggs/Ingram/Dunlap role, I'd totally do it. He's a high quality individual, and would be a great mentor to what other than Jones is likely to be a very young line.
[Reply]
DRM08 11:49 PM 12-08-2022
Agree, gotta be very careful with the cash. :-)
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 01:39 PM 12-09-2022
Yannick Ngakoue and one of the vets along the lines of what Engram and Dunlap have been for us.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 03:21 PM 12-09-2022
yeah, THIN DEAL.

I'm not saying sign old ass JJ Watt to a big assed contract.

Jeesh.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 04:14 PM 12-09-2022
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Watt has made plenty of money. He's had every individual accolade there is. The one thing he's not had is play-off success, or a chance at a championship.
At his age, with his injury history, I think the days of the big deal for him are over, and I would expect he knows that. IF he still has hunger for a championship, this would be the place.

I'm absolutely not throwing a bunch of money at him, but at a small deal, and limited snaps to fill the Suggs/Ingram/Dunlap role, I'd totally do it. He's a high quality individual, and would be a great mentor to what other than Jones is likely to be a very young line.
I agree if he wants to trophy hunt...
[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:20 PM 12-09-2022
I agree if he wants to trophy hunt...
I can't imagine any other reason to keep playing, honestly. He's made a ton of money
[Reply]
The Franchise 10:26 PM 12-09-2022
Watt would be a better 5th DE than Kaindoh or Herring has been.

Ngakoue
Karlaftis
Rookie
Danna
Watt
[Reply]
JPH83 02:34 AM 12-10-2022
I think I'd still rather a younger possibly cheaper guy alongside a vet. Someone like Omenihu or Okoronkwo and then a DT who can stuff then run. Then a DE in the first 2 rounds
[Reply]
RunKC 12:26 PM 12-12-2022
Extend Chris Jones. Then I would go after Yannick Ngakoue and Charles Omenihu or Arden Key in wave 2 (we looked at both). Then draft the best rusher we can in the first or 2nd rd, be it DE or interior
[Reply]
Stryker 08:43 PM 12-13-2022
McShay has this for us...Early mock

30. Kansas City Chiefs (10-3)
Jared Verse, DE, Florida State

The Chiefs pieced together an effective pass-rush this season, but 17 of their 42 sacks have come on blitzes. Carlos Dunlap is under contract for only this season, and Chris Jones and Frank Clark are set to be free agents after next season. Kansas City drafted George Karlaftis in Round 1 in April, but it needs more. Verse overwhelms blockers with his speed and power and is disruptive in the backfield (14 tackles for loss). Alternatively, Kansas City has both starting offensive tackles unsigned after this season, and it could still use more receiving options, so either of those positions could warrant a look.

[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:53 PM 12-13-2022
Our pass rush is considerably better this year from last in both pressures and sacks. We definitely aren't there yet, but give this young secondary another year and add a quality edge rusher and we could be top 3rd...
Most of that is blitzes.

It's not from the front four.

We had a high 'pressure rate' last year, and still weren't getting home.

The front four is slightly better this year, but Sneed, and Gay, and Bolton, etc. all have sacks and pressures in there too.

I expect Karlaftis to continue to improve, and Jones will be Jones. We need one more minimum that can consistently beat one on one blocking.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:54 PM 12-13-2022
Originally Posted by Stryker:
McShay has this for us...Early mock

30. Kansas City Chiefs (10-3)
Jared Verse, DE, Florida State

The Chiefs pieced together an effective pass-rush this season, but 17 of their 42 sacks have come on blitzes. Carlos Dunlap is under contract for only this season, and Chris Jones and Frank Clark are set to be free agents after next season. Kansas City drafted George Karlaftis in Round 1 in April, but it needs more. Verse overwhelms blockers with his speed and power and is disruptive in the backfield (14 tackles for loss). Alternatively, Kansas City has both starting offensive tackles unsigned after this season, and it could still use more receiving options, so either of those positions could warrant a look.
would.
[Reply]
JPH83 05:25 AM 12-14-2022
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
would.
Ditto. Need that explosiveness on the DL. Would be a good pick imo.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 10
« First < 45678 910 >
Up