ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 10
< 123 4567 > Last »
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Okay, so what *is* your plan for the 2023 passrush?
Direckshun 03:43 PM 11-08-2022
Alright, it's bleeding into multiple threads, so let's forge a master thread to control all others, and into this thread we will pour our cruelty, our malice, and our will to dominate all life. Truly a thread to rule them all.

You guys shat on me when I wanted to pour two 1sts into Brian Burns. You guys shat on me when I wanted to pour two 1sts into Josh Allen. And just for fun a couple of you guys were jerks when I wanted to go sign Bradley Chubb this coming offseason.

Just a bunch of meanies.

So what is your plan, exactly? This team needs a front four that can get pressure, Karlaftis isn't developing with the speed we'd like, and Jones is the only guy who can get to the QB.

What's your plan?

Here's the free agent passrushers this coming offseason. And the Chiefs do have 11 draft picks, but only one 1st, one 2nd, and one 3rd.

Are you going to burn a 1st? You're probably going to need that 1st (plus additional ammo) to get the offensive tackle you're simultaneously complaining we need to replace Brown at LT. If you take the 1st for DL, you're tagging and/or extending Brown, and you should say so.

I assume you're cutting Frank Clark, so the Chiefs will have about $50m to play with, but this is your 2023 depth chart right now:

DE: Danna, Herring
DT: Jones,
DT:
DE: Karlaftis, Kaindoh

That's it, suckers. You're probably going to need to add two DEs, and three DTs, minimum.

Current Chiefs who will be RFA: Wharton

Current Chiefs who will be FA: Saunders, Nnadi, Dunlap, Stallworth, Shelton, Azur Kamara

So what's your plan? kccrow's? His top three DEs are Karlaftis, Mike Danna, and Dawuane Smoot. I'm underwhelmed and ashamed.

Whatever your plan is, be prepared for me to hate it. I just hate it already.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 06:34 AM 11-09-2022
Originally Posted by JPH83:
This has pretty much been my attitude. I really do not care about building out the D as much as I do keeping the offence elite. But I'm looking at it from a slightly different angle. Last year I was banging the drum for a double dip at WR, that was before the putrid OT play we've seen this year. That's why I'd prioritise OT now.

Either way it's about giving Mahomes time and options. Right now he's battling with bad OT play and middling WR play and still winning. If a stud WR fell to us in R1, cool, I wouldn't hate pulling the trigger on it. But they better be involved quickly and be an early separator if we have these OTs. My lean towards OT is because it's hopefully giving Mahomes and average WRs more time but also it's stopping Mahomes getting killed.

I'd still probably swing for DE/DT with at least one early pick because it's such a glaring weakness and making us better there should make the whole defence better.
I don't disagree.

Can you imagine how good the offense would be if we could run the ball! The offensive tackles are bad, and dragging a solid interior down.
[Reply]
O.city 08:05 AM 11-09-2022
I'd probably make RT my FA priority this offseason. Conklin would be a nice addition, me thinks.

I still think they'll be aggressive for a DE. I don't know who or where it will come from, but they'll wanna add one with some juice.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:55 AM 11-09-2022
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
say it with me....

Yosh Nijman.
He's played well but he's also not faced the best competition. If you look at the win rate charts, he's winning at about the same rate as Brown but has faced decidedly inferior pass rushers.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:57 AM 11-09-2022
Originally Posted by Stro39:
You guys have to take the Packers lesson, draft the best weapon for Mahomes you can get in the first round (the Packers really never went all in on Rodgers, look at the 2020 draft who they could have taken/or traded up for Jefferson instead of Love for example).

Throw all in on the incredible QB you have. If there's someone the FO loves as a Mahomes target, trade up to get him, sell the farm. You are in a unique position. Defence you can fill out other ways. If there's someone the FO thinks is super elite, throw all of it to get them.

As a contender you are unique free agent destination, you can fill out the roster in other ways. Gotta get that Tyreek fill in tho to really go at it in January this season and in future years. Mahomes is a unique talent, throw all the dice on him.

Edit: apolgies for putting this in a pass-rush thread.
In order to take advantage of weapons, we need better play at BOTH tackle positions.
[Reply]
O.city 09:10 AM 11-09-2022
Smith struggling hurts Wylie alot. I think once Smith gets healthy the right side is atleast passable this year, but you gotta upgrade the RT spot this offseason long term.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:33 AM 11-09-2022
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
He's played well but he's also not faced the best competition. If you look at the win rate charts, he's winning at about the same rate as Brown but has faced decidedly inferior pass rushers.
The big plus for me on Nijman is that he's not going to demand a record setting contract for 'decent' LT play.

OBJ's demands pretty much sour me on him entirely. He's just okay, and that doesn't cut it with me considering.

Nijman saves you probably $10m per. That's significant coin.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:35 AM 11-09-2022
Originally Posted by O.city:
Smith struggling hurts Wylie alot. I think once Smith gets healthy the right side is atleast passable this year, but you gotta upgrade the RT spot this offseason long term.
Wylie struggling hurts Smith alot I think once Wylie accepts his new position as janitor the right side is at least passable this year, but you gotta upgrade the RT spot with an NFL level player this offseason long term.

Fixed your post.

:-)
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:36 AM 11-09-2022
The big plus for me on Nijman is that he's not going to demand a record setting contract for 'decent' LT play.

OBJ's demands pretty much sour me on him entirely. He's just okay, and that doesn't cut it with me considering.

Nijman saves you probably $10m per. That's significant coin.
But is he good enough? If he's no better than Brown, saving that $10M per isn't all that significant.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:37 AM 11-09-2022
Our choice in 2023 basically comes down to this:

We'll have to overpay for a LT OR we'll have to overpay for a DE.

The other we'll likely have to give up draft assets to go up and get in round one.

I mean, it's really kind of that simple.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:45 AM 11-09-2022
But is he good enough? If he's no better than Brown, saving that $10M per isn't all that significant.
I think he's a dramatically better fit for this offense. I'll take that and $10m to like...bring back Juju.
[Reply]
O.city 09:51 AM 11-09-2022

The other we'll likely have to give up draft assets to go up and get in round one.

They have a 26 year old LT already in house, whether we like it or not, I am guessing they just end up signing him to a deal.

Then you go searching for your DE.
[Reply]
RunKC 10:08 AM 11-09-2022

The FA market for LT is garbage. Orlando Brown is clearly the best. The free agent market for DE is bad too.

I know a lot of people hate Brown Jr but he’s a decent LT and it is HARD to find that in this league, especially picking late in the first rd.

I think we will pay Brown Jr but I’m hopeful that the contract structure is fair.

For DE just get a strong rotation. The value of guys like Jerry Hughes, Carlos Dunlap and Justin Houston is unmatched. It’s a hell of a bargain.

Use the draft to get a RT and pass rusher. That’s by far the best place to improve
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:08 AM 11-09-2022
Originally Posted by O.city:
They have a 26 year old LT already in house, whether we like it or not, I am guessing they just end up signing him to a deal.

Then you go searching for your DE.
Yeah, I think when it comes down to it, they're just gonna go with Brown. I don't necessarily like the idea but I think it's going to happen.
[Reply]
O.city 10:11 AM 11-09-2022
Yeah, I think when it comes down to it, they're just gonna go with Brown. I don't necessarily like the idea but I think it's going to happen.
I'm an "either way" on it. Pay him or not, I could go either way.

I think it ends up just being a situation where actually finding an alternative is just so hard I dunno that they go into that.
[Reply]
O.city 10:12 AM 11-09-2022
Originally Posted by RunKC:
The FA market for LT is garbage. Orlando Brown is clearly the best. The free agent market for DE is bad too.

I know a lot of people hate Brown Jr but he’s a decent LT and it is HARD to find that in this league, especially picking late in the first rd.

I think we will pay Brown Jr but I’m hopeful that the contract structure is fair.

For DE just get a strong rotation. The value of guys like Jerry Hughes, Carlos Dunlap and Justin Houston is unmatched. It’s a hell of a bargain.

Use the draft to get a RT and pass rusher. That’s by far the best place to improve
The FA market as we see it now. Some of these shit teams are gonna blow out front offices and coaching staffs so there could be some guys cut that would help us alot.

Just need to be able to keep flexibility.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 10
< 123 4567 > Last »
Up