ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 10
1 2345 > Last »
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Okay, so what *is* your plan for the 2023 passrush?
Direckshun 03:43 PM 11-08-2022
Alright, it's bleeding into multiple threads, so let's forge a master thread to control all others, and into this thread we will pour our cruelty, our malice, and our will to dominate all life. Truly a thread to rule them all.

You guys shat on me when I wanted to pour two 1sts into Brian Burns. You guys shat on me when I wanted to pour two 1sts into Josh Allen. And just for fun a couple of you guys were jerks when I wanted to go sign Bradley Chubb this coming offseason.

Just a bunch of meanies.

So what is your plan, exactly? This team needs a front four that can get pressure, Karlaftis isn't developing with the speed we'd like, and Jones is the only guy who can get to the QB.

What's your plan?

Here's the free agent passrushers this coming offseason. And the Chiefs do have 11 draft picks, but only one 1st, one 2nd, and one 3rd.

Are you going to burn a 1st? You're probably going to need that 1st (plus additional ammo) to get the offensive tackle you're simultaneously complaining we need to replace Brown at LT. If you take the 1st for DL, you're tagging and/or extending Brown, and you should say so.

I assume you're cutting Frank Clark, so the Chiefs will have about $50m to play with, but this is your 2023 depth chart right now:

DE: Danna, Herring
DT: Jones,
DT:
DE: Karlaftis, Kaindoh

That's it, suckers. You're probably going to need to add two DEs, and three DTs, minimum.

Current Chiefs who will be RFA: Wharton

Current Chiefs who will be FA: Saunders, Nnadi, Dunlap, Stallworth, Shelton, Azur Kamara

So what's your plan? kccrow's? His top three DEs are Karlaftis, Mike Danna, and Dawuane Smoot. I'm underwhelmed and ashamed.

Whatever your plan is, be prepared for me to hate it. I just hate it already.
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:44 PM 11-08-2022
I personally would just throw numbers at it in the draft. Like we kind of did with the DB's last draft.
[Reply]
The Franchise 03:50 PM 11-08-2022
Like htismaqe said...throw numbers at it.

FA wise? I'd bring back Saunders and Wharton. Go sign Ngakoue. Then spend 3 picks on the defensive line in the first 4 rounds.
[Reply]
Direckshun 03:51 PM 11-08-2022
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I personally would just throw numbers at it in the draft. Like we kind of did with the DB's last draft.
Passrusher is a more premium position and it's harder to find really good starters late in the draft, or even with midrounders, than with secondary players.

Spags has demonstrated he can convert almost any secondary player into an excellent schematic player.

We have not demonstrated that at DL for years.

Edit: DE Josh Allen would have been an outstanding addition, given his history for Joe Cullen. But that seems virtually impossible now.
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:52 PM 11-08-2022
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
Passrusher is a more premium position and it's harder to find really good starters late in the draft, or even with midrounders, than with secondary players.

Spags has demonstrated he can convert almost any player into an excellent schematic player.

We have not demonstrated that at DL for years.

Edit: Josh Allen would have been an outstanding addition, given his history for Joe Cullen. But that seems virtually impossible now.
I'm not trading multiple 1sts for anybody that's not a QB. Period.

I'd draft a speed rusher, 1-tool guy at 32 and take my chances from there.
[Reply]
Direckshun 03:54 PM 11-08-2022
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Like htismaqe said...throw numbers at it.

FA wise? I'd bring back Saunders and Wharton. Go sign Ngakoue. Then spend 3 picks on the defensive line in the first 4 rounds.
If you're signing Saunders, assuming he sticks around, you're extending him for multiple years and it may be pricey. We really don't know his pricetag right now, because he's only now become the starter and he could ascend as the year drags on -- TBD on that.

Ngakoue? I'm whelmed.

If you're not spending the first rounder on DL, that means you're spending a 2nd, a 3rd, and both 4ths. Is that your plan?
[Reply]
Direckshun 03:56 PM 11-08-2022
I'm not trading multiple 1sts for anybody that's not a QB. Period.

I'd draft a speed rusher, 1-tool guy at 32 and take my chances from there.
Yes, you made that abundantly clear. And now we're entering the next season with Danna and Karlaftis as our starters at DE. Three cheers for rigid dogma.

So you're extending Orlando Brown? Franchising him and just hoping the rookie you draft next year immediately succeeds? Because otherwise you're going to need that 1st.

Of course, we wouldn't have to take any chances at 32 if we had just invested it in Allen. But I'm not here to re-litigate the failures of the past. I'm just here for the hate.
[Reply]
The Franchise 03:56 PM 11-08-2022
If you're signing Saunders, assuming he sticks around, you're extending him for multiple years and it may be pricey. We really don't know his pricetag right now, because he's only now become the starter and he could ascend as the year drags on -- TBD on that.

Ngakoue? I'm whelmed.

If you're not spending the first rounder on DL, that means you're spending a 2nd, a 3rd, and both 4ths. Is that your plan?
Pricey? In what world is Saunders going to be pricey?
[Reply]
Direckshun 04:01 PM 11-08-2022
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Pricey? In what world is Saunders going to be pricey?
The future world.

He's almost certainly the starter at DT going forward next to Chris Jones. He played a faulty but very promising game against the meanest run team in the NFL. He's an ascending athletic freak.

If he ascends the rest of the year, someone's going to see a young 1-tech with some passrush juice.

He probably won't break the bank in that reality but he'll bring in more than kccrow's $1.1m, which is frankly laughable.
[Reply]
htismaqe 04:08 PM 11-08-2022
Yes, you made that abundantly clear. And now we're entering the next season with Danna and Karlaftis as our starters at DE. Three cheers for rigid dogma.

So you're extending Orlando Brown? Franchising him and just hoping the rookie you draft next year immediately succeeds? Because otherwise you're going to need that 1st.

Of course, we wouldn't have to take any chances at 32 if we had just invested it in Allen. But I'm not here to re-litigate the failures of the past. I'm just here for the hate.
Dude, you're talking in circles.

If LT HAS to be addressed, you won't have a 1st round pick, whether you take a DE there or traded it away. Either way, you don't have the ammo to go get a LT.
[Reply]
RunKC 04:08 PM 11-08-2022
Sign Saunders. Shouldn’t cost much tbh. Danna and Karlaftis have gotten good pressure on QB’s. I think Danna will be playing real hard in his contract year.

I’d look for a guy like Melvin Ingram or Carlos Dunlap to rotate in without overspending. Maybe bring Dunlap back as he’s been an excellent rotational rusher. I’d also sign Arden Key (who we looked at last year) since Wharton will be coming off an ACL.

Then I’d try to draft a speed rusher in the first 2 rds and a DT that has good pass rush potential. In the 3rd or 4th.

I think we’re loading up
[Reply]
Direckshun 04:13 PM 11-08-2022
Dude, you're talking in circles.

If LT HAS to be addressed, you won't have a 1st round pick, whether you take a DE there or traded it away. Either way, you don't have the ammo to go get a LT.
I've been the clearest, actually. My call in late October was to back the Brinks truck up for Chubb, and then draft a tackle in the first round.

At the trade deadline, I would've traded for Allen/Chubb/Burns and extended Brown. The Chiefs love him.

Right now? My plans didn't come true, yours all did on that front. So I don't know what the passrush plan is in 2023 if the Chiefs are planning to move on from Brown. Just hope a superb talent gets cut, I guess.

Y'all are just pinning hopes and dreams to your dogma.
[Reply]
htismaqe 04:14 PM 11-08-2022
I've been the clearest, actually. My call in late October was to back the Brinks truck up for Chubb, and then draft a tackle in the first round.

At the trade deadline, I would've traded for Allen/Chubb/Burns and extended Brown. The Chiefs love him.

Right now? I don't know what the passrush plan is in 2023 if the Chiefs are planning to move on from Brown. Just hope a superb talent gets cut, I guess.

Y'all are just pinning hopes and dreams to your dogma.
Dude, trading for any of those 3 would have required the first round pick you want to spend on a LT. You cannot do BOTH.
[Reply]
Direckshun 04:16 PM 11-08-2022
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Sign Saunders. Shouldn’t cost much tbh. Danna and Karlaftis have gotten good pressure on QB’s. I think Danna will be playing real hard in his contract year.

I’d look for a guy like Melvin Ingram or Carlos Dunlap to rotate in without overspending. Maybe bring Dunlap back as he’s been an excellent rotational rusher. I’d also sign Arden Key (who we looked at last year) since Wharton will be coming off an ACL.

Then I’d try to draft a speed rusher in the first 2 rds and a DT that has good pass rush potential. In the 3rd or 4th.

I think we’re loading up
Danna can play as hard as he wants but he can't magically become a great passrusher. Karlaftis I really like but I don't think we can pin our hopes on him being DE1 at this point. They're good players but they're not what you build a Super Bowl caliber DE position out of. Dunlap, Ingram, Key, these are all good-not-greats.

Are you extending Orlando Brown? If not, why are you possibly spending a 1st at DE?

All three DTs you have on your roster, none of them are premier run stuffers. What's the plan there? (Edit: I just saw you extended Saunders.)

This is all hopes and prayers.
[Reply]
htismaqe 04:19 PM 11-08-2022
Are you extending Orlando Brown? If not, why are you possibly spending a 1st at DE?
Why are you spending a 1st on a LT when your own scenario means you DO NOT NOT HAVE A FIRST ROUND PICK?
[Reply]
Page 1 of 10
1 2345 > Last »
Up