ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 71
« First < 45678 91011121858 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official 2022-2023 Missouri Tigers Men's Basketball***
dlphg9 08:07 PM 03-26-2022
Expecting big things boys!

Missouri got rid of crappy CM and the board went out and got one of the top coaches according to some in Cleveland State's Dennis Gates.

In 2 days he has 2 recruits

Top JUCO player 6' 10" Mohamed Diarra
Transport portal DeAndre Gholston who avg 15 pts at Milwaukee over the past 2 years

Very excited!
[Reply]
KChiefs1 08:27 AM 07-13-2022
Originally Posted by TomBarndtsTwin:
It's always nice when we can inject race into a basketball discussion . . . . .

The lowest form of human life is a Faider/Chickensquawk fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:34 AM 07-13-2022
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
Wasn't that kind of inevitable especially in football with the "covid" year. Guys getting extra eligibility is going to cause movement
Not if they didn't also make the 'free transfer' thing permanent at the same time as the rise of the NIL deal providing straight up financial incentive to jump programs.

I liked the idea of letting kids transfer out if/when their coach gets fired. That seems eminently reasonable. I don't even mind some sort of accomodation for NIL deals. But I wish they'd have been run through the the schools via a stipend of some sort.

Letting businesses/boosters really just buy players by working with their 'advisors' and getting into bidding wars is just really bad for college sports. It's essentially the same as making every player in one of the 4 major sports leagues a FA every season and then removing any sort of salary cap.
[Reply]
dlphg9 09:11 AM 07-13-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Not if they didn't also make the 'free transfer' thing permanent at the same time as the rise of the NIL deal providing straight up financial incentive to jump programs.

I liked the idea of letting kids transfer out if/when their coach gets fired. That seems eminently reasonable. I don't even mind some sort of accomodation for NIL deals. But I wish they'd have been run through the the schools via a stipend of some sort.

Letting businesses/boosters really just buy players by working with their 'advisors' and getting into bidding wars is just really bad for college sports. It's essentially the same as making every player in one of the 4 major sports leagues a FA every season and then removing any sort of salary cap.
They need to make it where there is a cap on the amount these kids can get, but there should be 2 different caps. Give them 2 options;

Sign a contract that keeps that player at that school until they are no longer college athletes.

Or

No contract, but the cap on what they can make is significantly lower than if they would sign a contract.

I don't know what the amounts would be, but this would probably keep kids at the original school.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:59 AM 07-13-2022
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
They need to make it where there is a cap on the amount these kids can get, but there should be 2 different caps. Give them 2 options;

Sign a contract that keeps that player at that school until they are no longer college athletes.

Or

No contract, but the cap on what they can make is significantly lower than if they would sign a contract.

I don't know what the amounts would be, but this would probably keep kids at the original school.
Almost like 'Bird Rights' as it relates to college players.

I just don't think college sports benefit in the slightest from the instability. And over a long-enough timeline, when college sports suffer, so too will the players.

I understand every one of these kids getting what they can, while they can. But doesn't the NCAA have some obligation to its members to do something to keep this from swirling down the drain? They get bopped on the nose so they just took their hands off the wheel and now things have gone completely sideways.

It appears to me to be a complete failure of leadership.
[Reply]
dlphg9 11:46 AM 07-13-2022
Almost like 'Bird Rights' as it relates to college players.

I just don't think college sports benefit in the slightest from the instability. And over a long-enough timeline, when college sports suffer, so too will the players.

I understand every one of these kids getting what they can, while they can. But doesn't the NCAA have some obligation to its members to do something to keep this from swirling down the drain? They get bopped on the nose so they just took their hands off the wheel and now things have gone completely sideways.

It appears to me to be a complete failure of leadership.
They sent from one extreme to the other. God forbid they do a little bit of work and figure out a happy medium.
[Reply]
JohnnyHammersticks 03:47 PM 07-13-2022
...It appears to me to be a complete failure of leadership.
Which is pretty much the defining aspect of Emmert's decade-plus at the helm.

His business cards probably say:

Mark Emmert
Complete Failure of Leadership
National Collegiate Athletic Association
Indianapolis, Indiana
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 07:09 PM 07-13-2022
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
The lowest form of human life is a Faider/Chickensquawk fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is one hell of a compliment coming from you. Thanks
[Reply]
dlphg9 11:59 PM 11-07-2022
So Mizzou opened against Southern Indiana and pulled out the 97-91 win.

Mizzou went into the half up 47-31. Southern Indiana was 1-13 from 3 point range in the first half. Those motherfuckers caught fire in the 2nd half and went 14-17 (83%)! They scored 60 in the 2nd half and 42 of those points came off threes.

Kobe Brown is preseason 1st Team All SEC and he 20 points and 14 rebounds. So pretty good game!
[Reply]
Pepe Silvia 12:07 AM 11-08-2022
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
So Mizzou opened against Southern Indiana and pulled out the 97-91 win.

Mizzou went into the half up 47-31. Southern Indiana was 1-13 from 3 point range in the first half. Those motherfuckers caught fire in the 2nd half and went 14-17 (83%)! They scored 60 in the 2nd half and 42 of those points came off threes.

Kobe Brown is preseason 1st Team All SEC and he 20 points and 14 rebounds. So pretty good game!
Everyone always hits their threes against Mizzou, it’s ridiculous. Snakebit school all around.
[Reply]
kepp 08:34 AM 11-08-2022
Originally Posted by Pepe Silvia:
Everyone always hits their threes against Mizzou, it’s ridiculous. Snakebit school all around.
And it's usually the Southeast Nowhere State schools that do that :-)
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:40 AM 11-08-2022
Just for what it's worth, Mizzou has lost this exact game (including in the NCAA tournament) a dozen times in the last 10 years.

A mid-major gets hot behind the arc, Mizzou isn't hitting their 3s, they lose by 8.

Was this a pretty game? No - but until we see a trend of teams drilling 3s against us like they did with Haith (who's teams gave up 3s because their perimeter defense was dog-shit), I'll just consider this one bad luck and a decent team pulling off a win anyway.

I don't think Mizzou is going to give up 50% from behind the arc often. I don't think they'll shoot 25% from behind the arc often either.

In the end I'll take the win here - if only because we've lost this game a LOT in the past.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:42 AM 11-08-2022
Oh, and Aiden Shaw actually played. As opposed to many of our higher profile freshmen who Cuonzo used to bury. It's a nice start.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:50 AM 11-08-2022
Oh yeah, and it's amazing how your turnover percentage plummets when you put actual point guards on the floor and emphasize smart ball movement, eh?

Man, I don't care if the records end up the same as the Martin era, last night was just different. It was a team that was actually fun to watch because it wasn't just a bunch of Norm Stewart era pluggers out there trying to scrap their way to Ws. There was skill on the floor and they were allowed to showcase it.

Cuonzo was just so damn antiquated and it was never more apparent than one game into the Gates era. Maybe Gates is just mediocre in a different way - we'll see. But he's different in a more aesthetically pleasing manner and for now I'll take that.
[Reply]
ScareCrowe 09:00 AM 11-08-2022
Just for what it's worth, Mizzou has lost this exact game (including in the NCAA tournament) a dozen times in the last 10 years.

A mid-major gets hot behind the arc, Mizzou isn't hitting their 3s, they lose by 8.

Was this a pretty game? No - but until we see a trend of teams drilling 3s against us like they did with Haith (who's teams gave up 3s because their perimeter defense was dog-shit), I'll just consider this one bad luck and a decent team pulling off a win anyway.

I don't think Mizzou is going to give up 50% from behind the arc often. I don't think they'll shoot 25% from behind the arc often either.

In the end I'll take the win here - if only because we've lost this game a LOT in the past.
As I was watching I kept thinking "last years team loses this game". Every time they would hit a couple threes & close to single digits Mizzou would answer with solid offensive possessions to re widen the gap.

Last years team would have definitely folded to one of those runs. I do think part of the amount of threes they made had to do with Mizzou still figuring out the switching defense they're running, but even leaving people wide open most teams won't shoot over 80% from three for a half.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 09:02 AM 11-08-2022
Such a smart decision Mosley made. 4 points, didn't even start. Hope the money is worth it.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 71
« First < 45678 91011121858 > Last »
Up