ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 34 of 34
« First < 243031323334
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs sign Charles Omenihu
ShowtimeSBMVP 07:43 PM 03-14-2023

Breaking: FA DT Charles Omenihu is signing a two-year, $20M max deal with the #Chiefs, sources tell @theScore.

He's coming off his best season, tallying 16 quarterback hits and 28 initial pressures with #49ers. Omenihu's only 25 years old.

— Jordan Schultz (@Schultz_Report) March 15, 2023

[Reply]
RunKC 10:11 AM 02-27-2024
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I look at this a lot like I looked at the Hardman situation last off-season. The smart thing for Hardman to do was accept a 1-year deal here and rehab his value once the market didn't come together.

And from the Chiefs standpoint, the smart thing to do was offer him that 1 year deal to come back as an experienced veteran with a couple of standout tools.

And it seems that neither side was really willing to swallow pride and get to that point until it was almost too late. Mistakes were made there.

The smart decision for BOTH sides seems to be a 1 year extension. Here's hoping the respective parties see that before this goes too far south on them.
If he won't play ball then he may very well be cut to try to use that $8 million retaining Chris Jones.

And nobody would have a problem with it if 95 is here. Worst case you can sign an Emmanuel Ogbah for a nice deal to take his spot.

Believe March 16th is the day his 2024 gaurantees are finalized so we'll know soon
[Reply]
O.city 10:13 AM 02-27-2024
If he wants to be paid like that, he's probably not getting it here. I don't think you can count on him much for 24. Look at the situation with Thornhill that year. Basically tore his ACL in the same time frame, came back but didn't really have a good year physically.

Just cut him and move on.
[Reply]
kcgreene 10:13 AM 02-27-2024
Originally Posted by Wisconsin_Chief:
He's obviously a much better player, but the problem is availability and longevity. He's clearly gone after next year and we'll be lucky to get half a season and the playoffs out of him. Danna would bring more value in his availability and leadership.

If Danna can land a deal worth $16 million a year on the market, I'll be utterly shocked. He's not a true edge rusher and is really more of a rotational guy who's value is higher here than it probably is anywhere else. He might get some shit team to give him that type of deal and if so, that's fine. However, I could see him as a guy who never really has a market develop for him.

In the end I do think they'll just end up squeezing everything they can out of Omenihu this year, he was damn good when he was on the field, just hope he can get back healthy.
As do I, and I completely understand the injury matter as he's not due back until probably late October/ early November (goes without saying). What I'm saying is that if he's healthy for the playoffs, that's what my primary desire is, as he'll wreck shit then.

This is the year we see if FAU can serve his role at DE while we wait for Omenihu to come back from injury. We don't need to cut him really to make room for a replacement. I'm just arguing that cutting Omenihu to retain Danna isn't a realistic solution.

And I don't see Danna getting 16M either, which is why I suggested 12M AAV (but because players like Randy Gregory got 14M AAV contracts 2 years ago when the cap was ~47M less, it wouldn't surprise me at all though if it happened)
[Reply]
O.city 10:15 AM 02-27-2024
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Yeah, I'd rather find a way to get another year or two added to his deal but ultimately I don't think he'd be smart to add more than 1.

Nor would he be smart to call our bluff and get himself cut.

The right answer here seems really obvious - add a year at $8-10 million on the back of this season, move this year's base out into next year and then Omenihu can hope a strong playoff run and 2025 season can get him into FA at 29 years old with a shot at a strong 3 year contract that's more in line with what he thinks he should be making.

The suspension timing sucked for him (entirely his fault) as did the injury (not his fault) but they're both reality. He should come to grips with this sooner rather than later.

Because if the Chiefs need $6-8 million in cap space to replace him in the first half of the season and he's not willing to play ball, he's going to find himself rehabbing as a FA and trying to find a team in October. I think his agent would wisely caution him against that.
Go give that deal to someone who can play this year.

Huff or Armstrong JR.

Hell, see if Chase Young wants to come here for a year for 8 mil.
[Reply]
O.city 10:20 AM 02-27-2024
Clowney made 2 million last year. Give him 3 to come here and play. He can kick inside and do alot of the stuff Omenihu did.
[Reply]
-King- 10:22 AM 02-27-2024
Originally Posted by O.city:
If he wants to be paid like that, he's probably not getting it here. I don't think you can count on him much for 24. Look at the situation with Thornhill that year. Basically tore his ACL in the same time frame, came back but didn't really have a good year physically.

Just cut him and move on.
And Achilles is much worse than ACL. Especially I feel for a DE

Edit: I'm dumb.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 10:23 AM 02-27-2024
Originally Posted by -King-:
And Achilles is much worse than ACL. Especially I feel for a DE
He tore the ACL
[Reply]
-King- 10:33 AM 02-27-2024
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
He tore the ACL
I need some more coffee. Can't think straight :-)
[Reply]
Wisconsin_Chief 10:35 AM 02-27-2024
Clowney made 2 million last year. Give him 3 to come here and play. He can kick inside and do alot of the stuff Omenihu did.
That dude only made $2 mil?

Jeez, after what we've done the past few years we damn well better get some ring chasers at prices like that this offseason. That's insane.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 10:46 AM 02-27-2024
I don't see Clowney putting together back to back good, healthy years.

But he's earned another $5-10m deal (incentives) if you go off last year only.
[Reply]
raybec 4 10:58 AM 02-27-2024
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
I don't see Clowney putting together back to back good, healthy years.

But he's earned another $5-10m deal (incentives) if you go off last year only.
He'll get at least that IMO. He had a pretty strong bounce back year in Baltimore. I'll be interested to see what Jonathan Greenard gets after this past season. He played really well and he's still pretty young.
[Reply]
Chiefaholic 05:37 PM 02-27-2024
Take his money and give it to the REAL star of the defensive line. Then find a respectable guy chasing a ring, and draft another lineman. On defense, the least guy we can afford to lose is Jones. That kind of pressure up the middle is rare, making it easier for the ends to get pressure due to a collapsing pocket.
[Reply]
Coochie liquor 06:04 PM 02-27-2024
Clowney is a garbage individual. He’s cheap shotted Mahomes, and kicked Pacheco in the AFCCG. Veach has never seemed remotely interested in him.
[Reply]
Page 34 of 34
« First < 243031323334
Up