ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Media Center>VOIP Scam Calls
Bowser 11:54 AM 03-10-2023
So, I'm not exactly sure what link I've clicked or feedback I've given to God-knows-who, but for about the last 4 or 5 months I've been receiving a totally unacceptable level of scam calls. I don't pick up the majority of them, but when I do there's been two different types of call - one is wanting to know if I would like to donate to firefighters or state troopers, the other says they've received my request checking on insurance plans (and the always start by calling me "Gerald"). I've politely and not-so-politely asked both entities to remove my number from their call lists, all to no effect.

So as the calls have gone on, I've tried doing the reverse number lookup thing. Most of the numbers come from rural areas in Missouri, generally from the same or neighboring area codes. Some of the searches return numbers that have been identified as scam numbers, so I block them. At this point I have well over 125 numbers blocked and I get no fewer than 3 or 4 of these bullshit calls a day. I've been on the national no call registry for a long time, but apparently this VOIP system allows these turds to bypass the rules somehow?

The question is what I can definitively do to stop this annoying crap from happening any longer, if there is anything I CAN do?
[Reply]
Ming the Merciless 10:42 PM 02-29-2024
Originally Posted by blake5676:
I was an Android user, specifically the Nexus and then the Pixel phones from Google, for more than a decade until 2021. Google has some software that blocks spam calls from even ringing your phone. No freaking clue how it works, but I swear to god I would get less than 5 spam calls/year.

And I never really appreciated it until I switched to an iPhone. I don't get nearly then amount the OP is talking about, but it's more like 5-6 a week rather than an entire year. It's completely annoying and maddening. One of the many things I miss about having an Android but I assume it's proprietary in some way bc I don't think other OS or manufacturers have figured it out.

i think there might be a 3rd party app that can do this, but it might only be on android

(edit: nope, its on ios as well. try this app : https://apps.apple.com/us/app/youmai...il/id308331524 )

(edit2: i love that app and cant live without it if you have android or iOs, try the free version a bit)
[Reply]
Mr. Plow 08:16 AM 03-01-2024
Originally Posted by Ming the Merciless:
i think there might be a 3rd party app that can do this, but it might only be on android

(edit: nope, its on ios as well. try this app : https://apps.apple.com/us/app/youmai...il/id308331524 )

(edit2: i love that app and cant live without it if you have android or iOs, try the free version a bit)
Hmmm, I'll have to give this one a try.
[Reply]
DenverChief 07:29 PM 03-04-2024
What works great for me....either you have to get a live person or if you are lucky enough to get someone live off the answer

"This is Special Agent Smith with the FBI Fraud Division, how may I help you?"

not 100% effective but it definitely has reduced the volume.
[Reply]
bdj23 09:54 AM 03-06-2024
3 spam calls in 24 minutes! Might be setting a new record today. I wish these dickheads would get real jobs.
[Reply]
Mr. Plow 11:14 AM 03-06-2024
I did install that app from Ming. I can say this.... I have only had 1 SPAM call since I installed it.

I have no idea if that means this app is blocking them & I never see them; or if I just moved to the bottom of all the SPAM call lists.
[Reply]
bdj23 04:42 PM 03-06-2024
I have RoboKiller installed on my phone but i still get a missed call notification and every so often they sneak one by.

I love it when i get a call from some Indian guy trying to sound like John Wayne.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up