ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Couch-Potato's Post-Playoffs 2023 Mock Draft
Couch-Potato 11:12 AM 02-05-2023
Chiefs Offseason Notes
This mock assumes and predicts a Super Bowl victory! I'm giving OBJ 1 more year on the tag and then replacing him with our 1st next year to save $ against the cap. I'm extending Chris Jones and inviting JuJu to return at approx $15m per year, and making a big trade in the draft! I think McKinnon finds a better offer elsewhere, I'm also bringing back Thornhill and some other supporting cast players like Saunders and Allegretti. This one might require Mahomes to make a slight contract adjustment, plus EB gets a HC job and we receive a 3rd RD Comp Pick.

Key Signings, Tags, Extensions:
OT Franchise Tag Orlando Brown Jr
QB Pat Mahomes Contract Adjustment
DT Chris Jones extension
WR JuJu Smith-Schuster
OG Nick Allegretti
DT Khalen Saunders
FS Juan Thornhill

Key Releases:
DE Frank Clark
OT Andrew Wylie
DE Carlos Dunlap
DT Derrick Nnadi
WR Mecole Hardman
WR MVS
RB Ronald Jones II
RB Jerrick McKinnon

***2023 Draft***
With this draft I'm looking to lean into our strengths and take this team over the top for the next several seasons! Primarily, I want to continue to lead the league in sacks and passing yards. Dream Big!

RD 1 - DT Bryan Breese, Clemson 6-5 310 lbs

So this mock draft is dependent upon the rare scenario in which Breese falls all the way to us at 32. "But he's a top 10 pick!" Probably! But several sites have him slipping recently, including ESPN and NFL.com who both have him going in the 2nd. Breese and Jones would be crazy disruptive, creating an Elite interior DL that puts fear in our opponents. Breese's explosiveness, speed, and high twitch motor really stand out on tape for a guy his size! He made Bruce Feldman's Freak's List - ranked #14. He wrote "The former five-star was a third-team All-ACC selection (15 tackles, three TFLs) despite being limited to four games due to a torn ACL in late September. Bresee benched 435 pounds, power-cleaned 330, and deadlifted 585. He has vertical-jumped 30 inches, but the most impressive number is him clocking in the high 4.7s in the 40." Check him out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cG-xYVkvtM

RD 2 - DE Zach Harrison, Ohio State, 6-6 285 lbs

Harrison has the size AND the speed, fasted projected 40 by a DE on NFLdraftbuzz.com, he just didn't have crazy production at the college level. Bottom of the 2nd is probably his floor, I've seen him at the bottom of the first pretty frequently. I'm hoping he's the new Karlaftis on the opposite side. Here's some notes I liked about him "Harrison offers an impressive blend of size, length, and explosiveness... He has ridiculous athletic skills runs 4.5 at 268lbs can overwhelm opponents and fly past bigger tackles in a blink of an eye...Looks the part. Possesses a long, athletic build with room for additional muscle mass. Flashes a burst off the snap, good enough to cross the face of collegiate tackles and put him in position to make big plays behind the line of scrimmage...Fast in a straight line. Excellent wide and bull rushes when he's first off the snap...Plays fast with good initial quickness and closing speed to create havoc in the backfield."

RD 3 - [Traded 3rd + 6th = ARZ] WR Deadre Hopkins, ARZ, 6-1 212 lbs

Ok...Ok...I already know half you guys hate this one, but I'm not worried about Hopkins age and he'd be far and away the best WR on this team! This is the kind of move that could really take us over the top IMO. His contract is reasonable for the next two years, he's still one of the best WRs in the league, and I'd bet he wants to win a Super Bowl! I can't justify giving up a 2nd and it seems like star players always go for less than you'd think, so if they'll accept a 3rd + 6th I'm willing to make that trade. In reality that 6th is probably a conditional 2024 pick, either way, back-to-back Super Bowl Wins!

RD 3 - RT Zion Nelson 6-5 315 lbs, 0-Sacks in 2022

Earlier in the season he was considered a late 1st rounder, but now I'm seeing him slip to as late as the 4th. "Nelson posses very quick feet and excellent speed. May run as quick a high 4.9s. Very technical pass blocker who has graded very well for the past two years. Rarely is beaten by speed rushers on the edge. Nice long arms - enables him to get into defenders and keep them at a distance. Gets out of stance super quick so you rarely see him beaten off the line. Awareness is above-average. Sells trap block and can turn to seal. Fluid getting to and adjusting at the second level. Really good lateral agility with nice change of direction skills as a pass protector. Has the feet to adjust when he anticipates what's coming. Effective trapping and bends at the knees with adequate core strength to absorb the bull rush. Can clear a path at the second level if he hits the target.Versatile - skills translate so will likely be equally accomplished as a right or left tackle in the NFL. Above-average football smarts and general intelligence. Solid character and work ethic. Has good footwork and technique. Balanced and agile pass protection set with excellent hand placement." ...Sounds like an Andy Reid lineman to me.

RD 4 - WR Andrei Iosivas, Princeton, 6-3 215lbs, 4.2 40, 943 yrds in 2022

Rated in the 90s for short, intermediate, and deep routes (97%) on NFLdraftbuzz.com. He's got the size, speed, and intangibles. The only knock I read on this guy is that he's hasn't run a full route tree in college. "Shows suddenness off the line of scrimmage and accelerates quickly, and his top-end speed is among the best in this draft. Shows good sense as a route runner and provides an enormous catch radius over the middle of the field. He has soft hands and uses his frame effectively to shield defenders, making him a major threat in the red zone. He made Bruce Feldman's Freak's List - ranked #15. He wrote "In track, he finished fourth in the country in the heptathlon and ran the fastest 60 in NCAA heptathlon history (6.71). Iosivas bench pressed 370 pounds this month and has vertical-jumped 39 inches. His 60-yard dash time would, by his own estimation, translate into a 4.2-something 40, but he points out that it was also out of the blocks and on a track, so maybe not. His position coach, Brian Flinn, predicts when Iosivas goes through the draft process and performs those tests he will “destroy them all." He has reliable hands and shows the willingness to make catches in traffic over the middle. A fluid mover capable of creating some separation over the middle of the field, Iosivas has the long arms and soft hands to provide a sizable catch radius. Iosivas plays with a smoothness and balance, and he shows a knack for setting up defensive backs. Strong runner with the ball with enough agility to make defenders miss in the open field. Has a tall frame and long arms, plus strong hands, giving him a huge catch radius." Hard for me to understand why he's not a 2nd or 3rd round guy, most have him going in the 4th or 5th.

RD 4 - DL Yaya Diaby 6-4 265 lbs, 20.8+ MPH, 8.1 inch Wingspan, 9 Sacks

"Diaby is a high-motor pass rusher who shows a good feel for countering, and Diaby has the functional strength to bounce off tackles and close on the quarterback with second effort. He made Bruce Feldman's Freak's List - ranked #85. He wrote, "The 6-5, 280-pound senior with the 8-1 wingspan can really move for a big man, topping out at 20.8 mph on the GPS. His vertical jump is in the mid-30s and he broad-jumps 9-11. His bench press also is up to 385 pounds." Plays with exceptional balance and body control, showing off a nasty spin move to counter his speed, with the natural instincts to know when to use it. Diaby explodes off the line with a quick first step, with agile feet to counter inside and closing burst to finish plays. Combines excellent power with initial quickness, but one of his best attributes are his violent hands, which he uses with impressive precision. His long limbs and strong core strength allow him to power through blockers, and he has the flexibility to loop inside and get home on twists." He's a little undersized for a DT, but versatile enough to rotate inside or out.

RD 5 - DE Thomas Incoom, Central Michigan, 6-4 265 lbs, 11.5 Sacks

He's got the size, 4.69 speed, and the production tied for 3rd in sacks, but I guess he's not getting any love at Central Michigan? I've seen him as an UDFA (No clue?) but he's get more recognition recently as high as the 4th. "Naturally explosive player with decent get-off speed. Balanced through contact and stout against double-teams. Tackles through the ball. Versatile and has the body type to play many roles. He’s best right now against the run, playing with a low pad level despite his relatively tall frame, and Incoom has the violent hands to win at the point of attack.He’s quick to react and locate the ball, and he shows enough speed to succeed in backside pursuit. Incoom plays with excellent balance and a strong, flexible core, rarely ending up on the ground. Possesses the length and power to ward off offensive tackles. A savvy, versatile and instinctive edge rusher who did a little bit of everything, he was especially effective getting to the quarterback."

RD 6 - [Traded to AZ]

RD 6 - WR Jake Bobo, UCLA, 6-5 215 lbs, 817 yards in 2022

He's a tall WR that's not afraid to go over the middle, put up 800+ yards for Chip Kelly this last season, he's just not the fastest guy on the field. "Has the strong hands any NFL wide receiver coach and quarterback would covet. Tracks the deep ball over either shoulder and brings in passes fluidly without breaking stride downfield. He’s a fluid athlete with excellent short-area quickness; Bobo should be able to create separation, and he has the straight-line speed to threaten down the seam." Maybe he will learn a thing or two from Kelce!?

RD 7 - OT Luke Haggard, Indiana, 6’7 305

Grabbing another OL here to play backup and replace Wylie. I've seen his name pop up a couple time here on CP and on a Chiefs Youtube channel, but he needs some work in the weight room apparently. "He’s a coordinated athlete who can win at the point of attack in the run game, and Haggard can also move to consistently land blocks at the second level. Carries his weight naturally, wide-framed with low body fat, along with long arms and large, powerful hands. Haggard moves naturally, with agile feet and the natural balance to mirror in pass protection. Consistently lands blocks at the second level, and he finishes strong. As a pass protector, he has violent, heavy hands. Along with a strong initial punch, he has the hand strength to grip and redirect pass rushers. In the run game, he explodes off the line of scrimmage and consistently gets out to the second level to do damage. Is effective when asked to pull, showing the agility, speed, and overall range to get out as a lead blocker, where he locates defenders and shows the ability to adjust and land blocks against linebackers. He’s especially light on his feet considering his size, a fluid mover who has natural balance as he kick-slides and sets. Haggard has the long arms to ward off pass rushers and send them flying past the pocket."

RD 7 - HB Hunter Luepke, North Dakota State, 6-0, 235 lbs, 13 TDS in 2022

This guy's my favorite late RD gem, currently. He's built like a Fullback, he runs downhill like Mike Alstott, especially good for short yardage which is an area our RB room is lacking, he blocks really well too, but man he is a really surprising pass catcher. Remember those wheel routes Kareem Hunt used to run? Yeah, this guys just as good at them and far less suspecting. Watch his tape and tell me Andy doesn't absolutely love this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy5hTiEnZCU&t=80s

RD 7 - S Jason Taylor ll, OSU, 6-0, 208 lbs 4.5 Speed, 6 INTs & QB Rating of 54.7% when targeted 2022

Tied for 3rd with the most INTs in the nation, but projected to go undrafted? I don't understand how there are so many DBs available these days at 6 ft+ & 200+ lbs with sub 4.5 speed? Seems like those guys were all going in the 3rd a few years ago and now they're a dime a dozen. Kids a ballhawk! "Is an explosive mover with quickness and speed. He’s at his best attacking downhill, shooting gaps in run support, and disrupting the backfield. Has a solid frame with a strong lower body and much improved bulk. Fluid and rangy with the coordination and loose hips to quickly change directions. Has quick feet and excellent change-of-direction ability, capable of mirroring quickness underneath. Strong hands to make plays on the ball, effective blitzer who shows well-coached technique and awareness.Great on route recognition and has click-and-close ability. Taylor tracks the ball well and does a nice job of getting his head around in plenty of time to avoid flags."

QB: P. Mahomes II, C. Henne, S. Buechele,
RB: I. Pacheco, H. Luepke, C. Edwards Hilaire
FB: M. Burton
TE: T. Kelce, N. Gray, J. Fortson
WR: D. Hopkins, J. Smith-Schuster, K. Toney, S. Moore, J. Ross, A. Iosivas, J. Bobo
OT: O. Brown Jr, Z. Nelson, L. Haggard, L. Nang
IL: J. Thuney, C. Humphrey, T. Smith, N. Allegretti, D. Kinnard

ED: G. Karlaftis, Z. Harrison, M. Danna, T. Incoon, J. Kaindoh
DT: C. Jones, B. Breese, K. Saunders, Y. Diaby
LB: N. Bolton, W. Gay, L. Chenal,J. Cochrane
CB: T. McDuffie, J. Williams, L. Sneed, J. Watson
DB: J. Reid, B. Cook, J. Thornhill, J. Taylor

Favorite Sources:
1) NFLdraftbuzz.com & ESPN.com/NFL/draft/bestavailable, I really love their scoring systems and positional lists
2) Thedraftnetwork.com, SI.com, and especially NFLmockdraftdatabase.com for their player projections per round
3) Bruce Feldman's annual Freaks List and Youtube for player analysis
4) PFN.com, PFF.com, Fanspeak.com for Mock NFL Draft Simulators
[Reply]
Chris Meck 06:32 AM 02-07-2023
Originally Posted by Couch-Potato:
Kelce, Hopkins, JuJu, & Toney

>>>

Kelce, Hill, Hardman, & Robinson
I don't think there's any way we pay Juju AND Hopkins. Because you certainly can't do that AND pay Brown and Jones and probably Sneed.

It doesn't make the TEAM better.
[Reply]
kccrow 08:22 AM 02-07-2023
Originally Posted by CupidStunt:
Can't see any way they cut MVS, especially after last week. Let's see what he does in the SB. The cap implications must be minor if people are actually suggesting it?
He'd save 7 million as a cut. He's schedule to make 11 with 4 in dead money.

I have to admit, MVS was a pleasant surprise and I'm willing to eat a healthy plate of crow on him. I don't want to see him go. I'd like to keep his speed. I think the team needs to address replacing Hardman's speed and then figure out if they want JuJu back or find another possession guy.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 02:45 PM 02-07-2023
Even though I'm not a fan of moving for Hopkins (unless he's willing to play on the existing deal), I'm even less of a fan of devoting those resources to Hopkins AND re-signing Juju Smith-Schuster.

They're just duplicative talents. Hopkins can't run the types of routes the Chiefs want their deep threats to run to threaten the D and open up the middle of the field.

At risk of sounding like DJLN: Speed, man. Raw, greasy speed. You need at least SOME of it. And Toney by himself ain't enough.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 09:12 PM 02-07-2023
Originally Posted by CupidStunt:
Can't see any way they cut MVS, especially after last week. Let's see what he does in the SB. The cap implications must be minor if people are actually suggesting it?
$7m savings next year.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 09:17 PM 02-07-2023
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I don't think there's any way we pay Juju AND Hopkins. Because you certainly can't do that AND pay Brown and Jones and probably Sneed.

It doesn't make the TEAM better.
It's not practical, would require some serious cap magic, but the cap does seem to go up a fair amount every year. This was meant to be my less conservative, swing for the fences mock. A boy can dream!
[Reply]
Nightfyre 10:10 PM 02-07-2023
$7m savings next year.
MVS is worth 7M, so there is no way he is cut imo.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 10:38 PM 02-07-2023
Originally Posted by Nightfyre:
MVS is worth 7M, so there is no way he is cut imo.
I agree he's played to that value, but do you want to pay him $14m the following year? I think that following year he becomes a liability to the cap, In this mock offseason i'm taking my shot at upgrading him with Hopkins. But in reality, I agree we should keep him this next year bc the price is right.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 06:37 AM 02-08-2023
It's not practical, would require some serious cap magic, but the cap does seem to go up a fair amount every year. This was meant to be my less conservative, swing for the fences mock. A boy can dream!
If we're going to dream, the very BEST dream would be the Justyn Ross' injury problems are behind him, he's 100% healthy, and has been studying the playbook all season long so he's next year's Juju on an UDFA salary. I mean, that would be fucking awesome.

What a dream.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 06:42 AM 02-08-2023
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
If we're going to dream, the very BEST dream would be the Justyn Ross' injury problems are behind him, he's 100% healthy, and has been studying the playbook all season long so he's next year's Juju on an UDFA salary. I mean, that would be ****ing awesome.

What a dream.
YES! I dream this dream as well!
[Reply]
Chris Meck 06:45 AM 02-08-2023
Thing is, this is a really difficult offense for WR's to digest and I'd think you can expect the entire group to be better in year two than year one-especially rookies, who had to learn how to be pros and THEN have to digest an offensive scheme unlike anything they'd ever experienced.

Some turnover is needed and bound to happen; we'll never have everyone back ever again, most likely. But I think you need to bring back MOST of them where finances allow.

MVS has been worth the investment, is still young, and is still fast. You need a guy like that, and you can pay someone else to have a learning curve or you can just stick with the guy you've got and not having a learning curve.

Watson, other than the stretch where he had the dropsies, has been a nice complementary piece. Big, fast, smart, always where he's supposed to be. And he's inexpensive. You definitely need him back.

Juju is the big question, and I think he's likely looking at a much higher cap number. I like Juju, but I think he's mostly been a big slot for us, and I think you can project Skyy to be more of a normal slot receiver in year two. Watson can take some of the other Juju targets.

And perhaps an offseason with this training staff can get Toney's soft tissue problems under control and keep him on the field. If so, we have legit #1 WR talent cost controlled for another few years, and that's awesome.

Justyn Ross is the wild-card maybe guy, and you draft a guy somewhere in day 2 and you call it good, in my opinion.
[Reply]
Nightfyre 11:46 AM 02-08-2023
I agree he's played to that value, but do you want to pay him $14m the following year? I think that following year he becomes a liability to the cap, In this mock offseason i'm taking my shot at upgrading him with Hopkins. But in reality, I agree we should keep him this next year bc the price is right.
Again, not trying to be critical. I think MVS is here next year and year three will be evaluated on his performance next year and what mutual willingness to extend will be.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 01:00 PM 02-08-2023
I agree with both Meck and Nightfyre on all counts, and although I think we could replace JuJu's production with our current WR room, I wouldn't wanna try it. Ideally, we'd stay the same or improve at WR after a SB win. I'd love to bring JuJu back at the right price, but he's no world beater so I'm really curious to see what the price ends up being. Ultimately, if we're going to spend the extra $14m in cap space the league gave us this season somewhere, I wouldn't hate using it on star WR talent. Juju, Hopkins, or otherwise.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 09:44 PM 03-13-2023
I still like this mock!

Would probably have to give up a future pick to nab Breese, Mazi's probably available at our pick though.

In the 2nd we might be able to get Tuipulotu, who had a bad combine apparently, Carter who's dropping on board recently, or Hall at DE.

EB didn't get a HC job so maybe bump Zion Nelson down to the 4th and remove Iosivas, if he's not there target Wayna Morris, Haggard, or Daniels as depth options behind Nang.

I'd swap Bobo for Matt Landers if he's there.

Haggard prob doesn't make it that far, swap him out for RB Lew Nichols III who lead the NCAA with 1800 yards in 2022.

Prob have to swap JuJu for MVS in this scenario.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up