ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Christmas Eve Mock
Chargem 11:52 AM 12-24-2018
I thought I would mix things up a bit and take a slightly different approach to fixing the defense than what I have seen in other mocks, enjoy.

---------------------------------------------------

Chiefs fall short of the Superbowl due to terrible defense, Bob Sutton is tragically hit by a falling piano and dies. Chiefs appoint a new DC who transitions the team to a 4-3.

Berry plays well until the end of the season and has offseason surgery on his Haglund.

Extensions/Restructures/Trades/Cuts

Tyreek Hill – 5 years, $95m ($6.1m cap hit in 2019)
Chris Jones – 5 years, $81m ($6m cap hit in 2019)

Figures shamelessly stolen from a KCCrow mock.

Berry – Restructured to free up $6m of cap space in 2019

Cuts - Sorensen

Tenders & Re-Signings

Tenders – Ellis, Kemp, Hamilton, Butker, Lucas

Re-signings

Anthony Sherman – 2019 cap hit $2m
Damien Williams - 2019 cap hit $1.5m
Jordan Devey & Jeff Allen – Vet min
De’Anthony Thomas - 2019 cap hit $1.5m
Kelvin Benjamin – 1 year incentive laden deal, base salary $3m

Free Agent Signings

DE Trey Flowers – 5 years $75m ($12m 2019 cap hit)
LB Manti Te’o – 2 years $6m ($3m 2019 cap hit)
CB Rashaan Melvin – 2 years $9m ($4m 2019 cap hit)
FS Tre Boston – 2 years $10m ($4.5m 2019 cap hit)

Draft picks:
1. DT Christian Wilkins, Clemson
2. CB Kendall Sheffield, Ohio State
2. FS Juan Thornhill, Virginia
3. RB Alex Barnes, K State
5. LB Ulysees Gilbert III, Akron
6. OT Ului Lapuaho, BYU
7. TE Daniel Imatorbhebhe, USC

Roster:
QB: Mahomes, Henne, Litton
RB: Williams, Williams, Barnes
FB: Sherman
WR: Hill, Watkins, Benjamin, Robinson, Thomas, Pringle, Kemp
TE: Kelce, Ellis, Imatorbhebhe
T: Fisher, Schwartz, Lapuaho
G: LDT, Erving, Wylie, McKenzie, Allen
C: Reiter, Devey, Murray
DE: Houston, Flowers, Speaks, Kpassagnon
DT: Jones, Wilkins, Nnadi, Williams, Hamilton
LB: Hitchens, T’eo, O'Daniel, Ragland, Niemann, Gilbert
CB: Fuller, Melvin, Sheffield, Smith, Ward
S: Berry, Boston, Thornhill, Watts, Lucas, Murray
K: Butker
P: Colquitt
LS: Winchester
[Reply]
kccrow 03:54 PM 12-27-2018
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Yeah I agree. It’s a passing league.

I like Fuller, but we need a bigger corner to be able to battle real WR’s. It was pitiful seeing Nelson get his shit kicked in by Mike Williams over and over.

I think you can find an ILB after the first rd. I’d look for a player with the measurables.

6’3”, around 240, 40 time in the 4.6 range and a 3 cone below 7 (ideally).

Lot of quality ILB’s that are in that range that were picked after round 1. Zach Cunningham, Alex Anzalone, Gerard Avery.

But yeah I think CB is where we need to start.

No linebackers anywhere near the pedigree of White or Wilson, but you have some guys that could end up decent given time. Germaine Pratt from NC State is still a work in progress as a linebacker (converted safety) but has the measurements. I like that Ryan Connelly kid from Wisconsin. Joe Bachie from Michigan State if he ends up in the mix. I like Bobby Okereke from Stanford, but I want to see him in coverage at the Senior Bowl. Same goes for Khalil Hodge from Buffalo. Troy Dye from Oregon, if he declares, is great in coverage but I don't think he has enough against the run.

There will be some veteran options in FA for CBs that would allow you to develop a 2nd round CB as well so I'm not convinced it's a "must go round 1" situation there either. I think it's a "must draft a CB" situation but how dire that need is depends upon moves made leading up to the draft.
[Reply]
The Franchise 04:10 PM 12-27-2018
I'd definitely flip a 2nd for Bouye.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 05:37 PM 12-27-2018
A Bouye trade is a wet dream for me right now. I don’t think they’re getting rid of Ramsey so I’m not even thinking about that yet.

But Bouye is fucking legit and could come in here and pair with Fuller to make a very reliable duo. Then I’d draft a kid too.

Idk, it’s easy to say that we just have to make good picks to get better and stay good, and that’s true, but this is yet another year that KC will be picking toward the end of each round. It’s tough as fuck to find blue chippers when you aren’t in the top 10-15. Even top 5 usually.

Veach needs a great draft this year one way or another but I still think the 2018 class has major upside given the picks he had to work with. I hear Dorsey get tons of credit nowadays for picks like Ford and even Fisher considering the weakness of the class, but those guys both looked like total busts for a good while. So I think it’s really unfair when people write off some of the 2018 class as finished products.

Now no GM will ever be perfect, but we know for a fact that Veach has a great scouting track record and he was going to be a future GM for a team eventually, whether in KC or somewhere else, just like Ballard. The guy had heart eyes for Mahomes, Fletcher Cox, D-Jax, Shady McCoy, and probably many others that I’m either forgetting or we just haven’t heard about... so I’ve got confidence that he’s going to get this thing going in the right direction fast with some solid moves, especially if we can turn over the defensive coaching staff.
[Reply]
kccrow 06:07 PM 12-27-2018
The more I look at Jacksonville's cap situation, the less and less I think a good player of value to the Chiefs will be on the market. They are only about $100k over the cap. Here's what I see:

Jacksonville tradeable/cuttable players to free up space.

QB (27) Blake Bortles 4.50 (16.50 dead)
73.5% plays, 12 g, 60.8% comp 2,611 yds, 13 td, 10 int, 54 car, 350 yds, 1 td
CB (27) A.J. Bouye 9.50 (6.00 dead)
87.4% plays, 13 g, 54 tkl, 1 int, 8 pd
DT (28) Malik Jackson 11.00 (4.00 dead)
63.5% plays, 15 g, 28 tkl, 2 sk, 10 QB hits, 6 tfl
DE (32) Calais Campbell 9.50 (5.00 Dead)
79.8% plays, 15 g, 65 tkl, 9 sk, 20 qb hits, 19 tfl
DT (28) Marcell Dareus 10.58 (0.00 dead)
54.9% plays, 14 g, 31 tkl, 1 sk, 2 qb hits, 2 tfl
S (28) Tashaun Gibson 7.45 (1.60 dead)
98.1% plays, 15 g, 53 tkl, 1 int, 7 pd
TE (26) Austin Seferian-Jenkins 4.75 (1.85 dead)
22.3% plays, 5 g, 11 rec, 90 yds, 1 td
RT (32) Jeremy Parnell 6.00 (0.00 dead)
87.5% plays, 13 g
OC (26) Brandon Linder 6.00 (0.00 dead) signed through 2022
51.2% plays, 9 g
RB (27) Carlos Hyde 4.75 (0.00 dead)
33.6% plays, 13 g, 162 car, 558 yds, 5 td, 8 rec, 27 yds
DT (27) Abry Jones 4.00 (0.00 dead)
47.4% plays, 14 g, 23 tkl, 1 sk, 2 qb hits, 5 tfl
OLB (28) Lerentee McCray 2.25 (0.62 dead)
9.8% plays (60.5% st), 12 g, 7 tkl, 1 sk, 2 qb hits, 1 tfl
S (29) Cody Davis 1.75 (0.87 dead)
3.2% plays (79.3% st), 15 g, 8 tkl

I look at this list and I think they do the following cuts:

RB Carlos Hyde - they really don't need him and he's mostly a backup runner. Even they Yeldon is a FA in 2019, they should retool the stable for less money behind Fournette.
TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins - Hasn't proven to be starting caliber and is always hurt. I think this one is a guarantee.
DT Marcell Dareus - They pretty much have to let one of their 3 high-priced lineman go. Abry Jones is much cheaper and just as effective and getting another NT on the cheap is easy. They drafted Taven Bryan in round 1 last year so Malik could be sent packing, but I don't see them giving up the player with more dead money.
That frees up 20.08m with 1.85 dead. That puts them approximately 19.98 under the cap, which is plenty of space to sign their draft class and sign a couple free agents.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 06:25 PM 12-27-2018
Alright Crow, tell me what you see with KC in the future with the cap based on kinda what you just did for Jacksonville there.

I peeked at the cap numbers, and it looks to me like there aren’t many moveable contracts at all for 2019 on the roster that would save much cap space at all. However, it looks like a ton of big contracts become expendable once 2020 rolls around where KC could see some serious cap space open up with just a few cuts/trades. And won’t that be right on cue with Hill and Jones set to break the bank just before Mahomes does as well.

I haven’t looked too deeply but it appears to me that even though we aren’t absolutely flush with 2019 cap space, we are still in great position to make a big addition or two this offseason because of how much money can be created with 2020 releases.
[Reply]
kccrow 07:15 PM 12-27-2018
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
Alright Crow, tell me what you see with KC in the future with the cap based on kinda what you just did for Jacksonville there.

I peeked at the cap numbers, and it looks to me like there aren’t many moveable contracts at all for 2019 on the roster that would save much cap space at all. However, it looks like a ton of big contracts become expendable once 2020 rolls around where KC could see some serious cap space open up with just a few cuts/trades. And won’t that be right on cue with Hill and Jones set to break the bank just before Mahomes does as well.

I haven’t looked too deeply but it appears to me that even though we aren’t absolutely flush with 2019 cap space, we are still in great position to make a big addition or two this offseason because of how much money can be created with 2020 releases.
Nothing to note that probably hasn't been hashed out:
OLB J. Houston 14.00 (7.10 dead) OR 17.50 (3.55 dead) as June 1
SS E. Berry 1.55 (14.95 dead) OR 7.55 (8.95 dead) as June 1
OT M. Schwartz 5.20 (2.80 dead)
SS D. Sorensen 2.69 (2.00 dead)
DT X. Williams 2.56 (0.87 dead)
LB R. Ragland 1.25 (0.00 dead)

WR S. Watkins 14.00 (7.00 dead) OR 17.50 (3.50 dead) as June 1
LB J. Houston 17.50 (1.50 dead)
SS E. Berry 5.50 (8.00 dead) OR 9.50 (4.00 dead) as June 1
OT E. Fisher 9.50 (2.55 dead)
OT M. Schwartz 6.60 (1.40 dead)
TE T. Kelce 6.53 (3.94 dead)
SS D. Sorensen 3.75 (1.00 dead)
OT C. Erving 3.25 (1.43 dead)
DE T. Kpassagnon 1.05 (0.32 dead)
OG L. Duvernay-Tardif 5.00 (4.00 dead)

Edit: It's not at all advantageous to cut Watkins in 2019 because he has $8.2 of his salary guaranteed. I mean you'd have cut him as a June 1 just to have 15.2 in dead money to save 3.9 million and still be on the hook for 7.0 dead in 2020.
[Reply]
kccrow 07:27 PM 12-27-2018
To add pugs... It doesn't really matter which year you ditch Houston all that much. If he's tradeable, trade him is my opinion there. You can't really trade Berry and I'm not sure anyone would trade for him. If you want to get rid of him, it's pretty much a June 1 cut.

Sorenson, Williams, and Ragland are all easy cuts if you want to get rid of them. Hell, Sorenson isn't a bad cut as a June 1 either.

You're not cutting Schwartz, Fisher, Kelce, or Tardif but I listed them here anyhow just in case. Tardif isn't even a realistic trade option given the cap implications, despite Direkshun's insistence that we do so. You're basically eating 8 million in space in 2019 with 0 space gained just to gain a draft pick. It's silly.

If the Chiefs do anything in 2019 with contracts, Watkins is pretty much a must cut. I could see him getting a June 1 designation next year. If Kpass is still a bust, he could get his walking papers too. If nothing happens with Houston or Berry in 2019, it just becomes more advantageous in 2020. Not alot of excitement. :-)
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 07:42 PM 12-27-2018
Based on all of that, the only two players I for sure move on from are Sorensen and Ragland. They just aren’t good enough to warrant keeping. Less about cap space than just the quality of the player there IMO.

I don’t see them getting rid of Berry yet just because it’s so damn difficult to do it with any financial upside. Then again, if that heel is going to continue to be a problem and they aren’t fixing it, the June 1 option looks alright.

Houston is the big ? for 2019 as well as Ford because I don’t see KC getting rid of both this year. I’d let them play for their salaries here in the next month. Prove their worth when it matters most.

I’m keeping Watkins in ‘19 just because of how lethal the offense can be if the full set of playmakers are available. Then I think you absolutely cut him in 2020 for the extra $14M.

We’ve got some trash contracts on the books right now but I am excited to see where this thing can go in the next couple years. If we’re being honest, we’ve more or less wasted a ton of cap dollars this year on guys who are not earning their checks, and yet here we are on the verge of 12-4 and the #1 seed in all likelihood. So imagine if that situation gets better.
[Reply]
RunKC 08:04 PM 12-27-2018
I’d keep Ragland for one more year. He is still on his rookie deal another season and can at worst be a backup. He’s solid depth if he can lose weight and try to get faster this offseason.
[Reply]
CupidStunt 09:34 PM 12-27-2018
Man, $75 million and a 1st-rounder on our front and we might be even worse than this year with no Ford and Jones changing positions. I don't like the idea of reaching (or overpaying) for need, but we really need to throw a LOT of shit at DB and hope a good bit of it sticks, IMO.

ILB isn't the toughest position to patch over, and we have some bodies up front (whether it's proven players or recent picks or "formerly good" players like Hitchens), but that defensive backfield is a total fucking wasteland with no light at the end of the pitch-black tunnel right now. I've always been a guy who thinks pass-rush, pass-rush, pass-rush, too, but the play of our D this year, with this secondary and in spite of a good pass-rush, has definitely changed my perspective on that.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up