ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3831 of 3903
« First < 2831333137313781382138273828382938303831 383238333834383538413881 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Frosty 01:04 PM 12-20-2021
Originally Posted by loochy:
I got a moderna booster on Friday. I had a backache Friday night and Saturday, and that's it. The shot site didn't even get sore.
Nice. I got my Moderna booster a couple of weeks ago. My arm hurt at the injection site so much I couldn't sleep on that side for a couple of days after. The morning after the shot, I hurt from head to toe. So much that it was tough walking down the stairs. The next day, I was fine except for the sore arm, so it wasn't that much of a big deal.

I had to get my shot at the Walmart pharmacy as it was the only local place I could get in right away. The weird thing was the lady at the counter when I checked in ****ed around with my insurance card for almost 20 minutes. She never could get it to work and, in the end, it didn't matter anyway (I didn't pay anything). I don't even know why they bothered with the card? :-)

Oh well, it was all worth it. I live in the middle of Spreadneckistan and my wife works at an elementary school. I'm not taking any chances.
[Reply]
TLO 01:58 PM 12-20-2021

Latest CDC data by vaccine status:

Unvaccinated: 451 cases per 100k
Vaccinated: 134 cases per 100k
Boosted: 48 cases per 100k

Unvaccinated: 6.1 deaths per 100k
Vaccinated: 0.5 deaths per 100k
Boosted: 0.1 deaths per 100k

— Ryan Struyk (@ryanstruyk) December 20, 2021

[Reply]
Braincase 02:14 PM 12-20-2021
Chargers just placed Bosa, Ekeler, and Linsley on the COVID list. Wonder if there will be any more Chiefs gutpunched before the end of the week.
[Reply]
loochy 02:17 PM 12-20-2021
Originally Posted by Braincase:
Chargers just placed Bosa, Ekeler, and Linsley on the COVID list. Wonder if there will be any more Chiefs gutpunched before the end of the week.

I thought they were done doing that crap
[Reply]
Marcellus 02:19 PM 12-20-2021
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
Why do you say that? Reports out of SA say people with preexisting infections are getting Omicron at a pretty high rate.
This does not pass the smell test.
[Reply]
Marcellus 02:21 PM 12-20-2021
Originally Posted by TLO:
Looking at data from London.

Hospitalizations due to covid are going up. However about half of them weren't admitted for covid. They were found to be infected when they were brought in to the hospital.

This is consistent with the South Africa data.
Dude......
[Reply]
Braincase 02:23 PM 12-20-2021
I thought they were done doing that crap
Only for the fully-vaccinated. They specifically noted Bosa isn't vaccinated.
[Reply]
ghak99 02:46 PM 12-20-2021
Originally Posted by Braincase:
Only for the fully-vaccinated. They specifically noted Bosa isn't vaccinated.
Interesting.

I'd kind of like to know our player's individual status, for selfish fan reasons, but it's really none of my business and they should tell me to go fuck myself for even wanting to know.

I bet someone somewhere has a database on the players for betting and fantasy reasons.
[Reply]
TLO 02:56 PM 12-20-2021
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
Dude......
That was my point. They're not being hospitalized for covid, but they're still going under the statistics
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 02:58 PM 12-20-2021
That was my point. They're not being hospitalized for covid, but they're still going under the statistics
Which is pretty messed up.
[Reply]
loochy 03:25 PM 12-20-2021

I swear we'd be amazed at the number of positives if every single person in the US was tested. I bet 25% would test positive.
[Reply]
sedated 03:58 PM 12-20-2021
I swear we'd be amazed at the number of positives if every single person in the US was tested. I bet 25% would test positive.
I kinda thought the same thing was being said about 18 months ago.
[Reply]
Braincase 04:02 PM 12-20-2021
Originally Posted by ghak99:
Interesting.

I'd kind of like to know our player's individual status, for selfish fan reasons, but it's really none of my business and they should tell me to go **** myself for even wanting to know.

I bet someone somewhere has a database on the players for betting and fantasy reasons.
Now I see Kelce is in the box. Had Bosa in his face half the night.
[Reply]
Donger 05:42 PM 12-20-2021
Omicron sweeps across nation, now 73% of US COVID-19 cases

https://apnews.com/article/omicron-m...17935f65c896cf

NEW YORK (AP) — Omicron has raced ahead of other variants and is now the dominant version of the coronavirus in the U.S., accounting for 73% of new infections last week, federal health officials said Monday.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention numbers showed nearly a six-fold increase in omicron’s share of infections in only one week.

In much of the country, it’s even higher. Omicron is responsible for an estimated 90% or more of new infections in the New York area, the Southeast, the industrial Midwest and the Pacific Northwest. The national rate suggests that more than 650,000 omicron infections occurred in the U.S. last week.

Since the end of June, the delta variant had been the main version causing U.S. infections. As recently as the end of November, more than 99.5% of coronaviruses were delta, according to CDC data.

CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky said the new numbers reflect the kind of growth seen in other countries.

“These numbers are stark, but they’re not surprising,” she said.

Scientists in Africa first sounded the alarm about omicron less than a month ago and on Nov. 26 the World Health Organization designated it as a “variant of concern.” The mutant has since shown up in about 90 countries.

Much about the omicron variant remains unknown, including whether it causes more or less severe illness. Early studies suggest the vaccinated will need a booster shot for the best chance at preventing omicron infection but even without the extra dose, vaccination still should offer strong protection against severe illness and death.

“All of us have a date with omicron,” said Dr. Amesh Adalja, a senior scholar at the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security. “If you’re going to interact with society, if you’re going to have any type of life, omicron will be something you encounter, and the best way you can encounter this is to be fully vaccinated.”

Adalja said he was not surprised by the CDC data showing omicron overtaking delta in the U.S., given what was seen in South Africa, the U.K. and Denmark. He predicted spread over the holidays, including breakthrough infections among the vaccinated and serious complications among the unvaccinated that could stress hospitals already burdened by delta.

Dr. Eric Topol, head of the Scripps Research Translational Institute, said other countries had seen omicron’s fast growth, but the U.S. data showed “a remarkable jump in such a short time.”

Topol also said it’s unclear how much milder omicron really is compared with other variants.

“That’s the big uncertainty now,” Topol said. “We have to count on it being a lot of hospitalizations and a lot severe disease from omicron.”

CDC’s estimates are based on thousands of coronavirus specimens collected each week through university and commercial laboratories and state and local health departments. Scientists analyze their genetic sequences to determine which versions of the COVID-19 viruses are most abundant.

In the week that ended Dec. 11, omicron’s share of new infections in the U.S. increased to 2.9% from 0.4% the week before, the CDC previously reported.

But CDC on Tuesday said they are revising some of the earlier numbers, after analyzing more specimens. The new numbers indicate that about 13% of the infections the week of Dec. 11 were omicron, and not 3%, CDC officials said.

Though there remain a lot of new infections caused by the delta variant, “I anticipate that over time that delta will be crowded out by omicron,” Walensky said.
[Reply]
007 12-20-2021, 06:11 PM
This message has been deleted by 007.
Chief Pagan 06:30 PM 12-20-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
Nah. I wouldn't fret to much.

We've baked in so much immunity not to this thing from previous infections and vaccinations, there's not nearly as much bite.
So some of the semi technical stuff I've been reading says that previous infections and vaccines are baking in resistance to severe illness and death.

But no, its not baking in immunity to getting sick.

Although a third booster of Pfizer or moderna offers some additional immunity, any other vaccine or prior infection doesn't do much as far as getting sick.

And 'mild' cases aren't always as mild as a cold, but by definition I don't think they involve hospital care.

And of course, if the 80% or so of the population including a large percentage of over 65 who don't have a third shot get sick. Some small percentage will get really sick even with vaccination or prior infection.

I don't see much realistic to be done about it. More just a reality check and a recognition that our health system and health workers are likely to continue to be hammered.

And the rest of us shouldn't be oblivious to that.
[Reply]
Page 3831 of 3903
« First < 2831333137313781382138273828382938303831 383238333834383538413881 > Last »
Up