ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 8
« First < 34567 8 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Observations from my easy chair.
oldman 05:08 AM 10-03-2022
OL (minus Brown) were money last night and it showed with CEH's 92 on the ground and Pacheco adding another 63. Only 1 trick play was needed to score and that was due to the interior 3 owning the Bucs line. A little Martyball is a good thing.

The zebras let the players determine the outcome of the game. We got away with a couple. Clark was clearly in the neutral zone when the Bucs were called for too many guys on the field and Jones might have been called for roughing the passer. Tommyboy was chirping all night long but didn't get a favor. Did anyone notice if he committed battery on a defenseless Ipad?

CEH's TD reception will surely make the highlight reels this week. Just Patrick being Patrick.

The only thing I can bitch about was the unnecessary INT in the 4th. It was 3rd and 5 and PMII either missed or ignored a wide open McKinnon in the left flat. That would have kept the drive alive and we wouldn't have had to listen to Collinsworth yapping about Brady.
[Reply]
Chiefnj2 04:52 PM 10-03-2022
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Pressures/hurries are difficult to track because they are somewhat subjective (and usually behind a paywall to boot).

The best I can do is show you this:

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...e_advanced.htm

Karlaftis ranks right behind Chris Jones, tied for 2nd in hurries.
Thanks for the link. I read he had 6 pressures in the Cards game. They have him with 7 pressures now, which would mean 1 in the last 3 games.
[Reply]
scho63 05:11 PM 10-03-2022
We pasted nearly 200 yards of rushing on the TOP rushing D in the NFL.

They had all their weapons so no excuses, unlike our Oline in the Super Bowl.
[Reply]
htismaqe 05:40 PM 10-03-2022
Originally Posted by Chiefnj2:
Thanks for the link. I read he had 6 pressures in the Cards game. They have him with 7 pressures now, which would mean 1 in the last 3 games.
I will probably go back and watch the all 22 at some point. I honestly don’t know of another way. It’s really hard to find pressure stats.
[Reply]
Megatron96 05:48 PM 10-03-2022
I will probably go back and watch the all 22 at some point. I honestly don’t know of another way. It’s really hard to find pressure stats.
As you mentioned earlier, it's incredibly arbitrary.

A couple seasons ago i remember a play vs. LAC where Clark strip-sacked Rivers and the ball hit Nnadi (I think) right in the stomach. The play went down in the books as an INT instead. Clark didn't get credit for anything, even though he was clearly the one who hit Rivers' hand knocking the ball out of Philip's hand and into Nnadi's stomach.
[Reply]
ModSocks 06:03 PM 10-03-2022
I've never really done the random thought thing but here goes:

1. Jaylen Watson kinda reminds me of Sneed. When he does get beat, he's just so damn close to making the play.

2. DL didn't do a whole lot in terms of pressure. It may have been Karlaftis' worst game so far. None of our DE's were getting close. The most impactful hits on Brady came from DB blitzes and our pressure seemed to mostly come from the interior.

3. That Frank Clark tackle attempt in the 1st quarter when Fournette broke his only run....that was pathetic. He didn't even attempt to wrap. He literally just threw his shoulder at him. WTF.

4. Trey Smith may have had his best game of the season so far.

5. Skyy Moore looks like he has some sticky hands. He just snatched that ball out in front of him.

6. Pacheco looked great (no shit), but he ran harder than we've seen him run at any point thus far. He was amped up. I don't think the Chiefs need to rush him into #1 back duties. CEH has looked great in his own right, and i'd rather Pacheco have fresh legs going into the winter months.

7. I think we see why Reid doesn't use CEH in the passing game. I've seen enough now to realize his hands aren't great. He has a very small catch radius and he's dropped more missed more opportunities than he should. Leads one to believe he's simply not that good at it.

8. Anyone else notice that shots of Beinemy on the sideline were damn near non-existent last night?
[Reply]
Marcellus 07:01 PM 10-03-2022
I would have to watch it again to be certain but on the pass Mahomes didn’t see Hardman I think presnap he had already decided where he was going with the ball. It was snap drop and throw.

Just didn’t work out.
[Reply]
Easy 6 07:10 PM 10-03-2022
Originally Posted by Detoxing:

1. Jaylen Watson kinda reminds me of Sneed. When he does get beat, he's just so damn close to making the play.

2. DL didn't do a whole lot in terms of pressure. It may have been Karlaftis' worst game so far. None of our DE's were getting close. The most impactful hits on Brady came from DB blitzes and our pressure seemed to mostly come from the interior.

3. That Frank Clark tackle attempt in the 1st quarter when Fournette broke his only run....that was pathetic. He didn't even attempt to wrap. He literally just threw his shoulder at him. WTF.

5. Skyy Moore looks like he has some sticky hands. He just snatched that ball out in front of him.

6. Pacheco looked great (no shit), but he ran harder than we've seen him run at any point thus far. He was amped up. I don't think the Chiefs need to rush him into #1 back duties. CEH has looked great in his own right, and i'd rather Pacheco have fresh legs going into the winter months.

7. I think we see why Reid doesn't use CEH in the passing game. I've seen enough now to realize his hands aren't great. He has a very small catch radius and he's dropped more missed more opportunities than he should. Leads one to believe he's simply not that good at it.

8. Anyone else notice that shots of Beinemy on the sideline were damn near non-existent last night?
#4 is a lock, his ankle is back in fighting shape
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 07:15 PM 10-03-2022

Definitely on bieniemy. You can just read the body language that his abrasive mess is starting to rub people the wrong way. Also encouraging for mahomes to sit down with a clipboard with Nagy. Not just to discuss strategy but to keep an open line with someone capable of adjusting to the coverages. Somethjng sorely missing the past few games prior.

Karlaftis needs to learn he can’t just overpower his blockers. That’s fine. It’s early and this is a great lesson for him.

Also believe our pressure issues will be solved as our coverage progresses. Quick throw qbs like brady are always a challenge for pass rushes. We need guys like McDuffie and for our young DBs to develop, which they will. If we play Tampa again, crazy to think about how much our team will have grown by then.
[Reply]
ModSocks 07:33 PM 10-03-2022
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
Definitely on bieniemy. You can just read the body language that his abrasive mess is starting to rub people the wrong way. Also encouraging for mahomes to sit down with a clipboard with Nagy. Not just to discuss strategy but to keep an open line with someone capable of adjusting to the coverages. Somethjng sorely missing the past few games prior.

Karlaftis needs to learn he can’t just overpower his blockers. That’s fine. It’s early and this is a great lesson for him.

Also believe our pressure issues will be solved as our coverage progresses. Quick throw qbs like brady are always a challenge for pass rushes. We need guys like McDuffie and for our young DBs to develop, which they will. If we play Tampa again, crazy to think about how much our team will have grown by then.
Heh. Just finished the Simms podcast and he thought Reid was calling the plays last night. Said he thought the playcalling had more rhythm.

And when McDuffie comes back it makes you wonder who should sit. I think Watson has made a case for himself. Not every wr is going to be Williams and Evans to where they can use their big frames to out position you. Nor will they have Brady and Herbert throwing strikes. So while he's given up plays, he's been in position seemingly every time.

I think the initial reaction is to say sit Fenton, but I just love the way that guy plays. He's been holding up well out there too. He can get a little grabby at times and he's a bit under sized, but I think he brings some fire to the secondary.

It'll be interesting to see what the Chiefs do there, though I expect them to just take their time with McDuffie and then sit Watson when he's back.
[Reply]
Rain Man 07:38 PM 10-03-2022
Heh. Just finished the Simms podcast and he thought Reid was calling the plays last night. Said he thought the playcalling had more rhythm.

And when McDuffie comes back it makes you wonder who should sit. I think Watson has made a case for himself. Not every wr is going to be Williams and Evans to where they can use their big frames to out position you. Nor will they have Brady and Herbert throwing strikes. So while he's given up plays, he's been in position seemingly every time.

I think the initial reaction is to say sit Fenton, but I just love the way that guy plays. He's been holding up well out there too. He can get a little grabby at times and he's a bit under sized, but I think he brings some fire to the secondary.

It'll be interesting to see what the Chiefs do there, though I expect them to just take their time with McDuffie and then sit Watson till he's back,

Yeah, McDuffie's a mystery to me right now, but based on his optimistic reports I feel like we have four starting-caliber cornerbacks. That's one of the top ten elements of happiness.
[Reply]
Rasputin 09:18 PM 10-03-2022
OBJ may have done Blanch a solid by not signing a long term contract now we have options in the offseason.
[Reply]
JPH83 11:33 PM 10-03-2022
Nobody ever gets sacks game in and game out. It's rare even for the best.

Sacks usually come in bunches. Karlaftis could easily have only 4 or 5 games where he gets a sack and still get 8-10.

The amount of pressure he's getting is encouraging. He'll eventually get some sacks.
Yeah I think he'll have better days and get his sacks, but I'd be surprised if he got near 10. Too early but I've tried to focus on him and there's definitely areas of play where he's been very average. He gets washed out a fair bit on run plays and is just miles from the action,and there's a lot of snaps where he doesn't seem to have an idea after the OT deals with his power.

He's probably been the most underwhelming rookie after the preseason hype. But it doesn't concern me as it's mainly just testament to how good the rest have looked.
[Reply]
JPH83 11:45 PM 10-03-2022

Not sure I'm quite there on 1 but agree with all the rest.

The DL outside of Jones is really struggling to rush. We may have the least effective DEs in the NFL and I'm surprised to find myself missing Danna. I think Nnadi is probably gone next year. Saunders is infuriatingly up and down. That said it's amazing how effective our blitzing continues to be.

Thought it was Thornhill's worst game this year after a really fast start, Bolton's too in coverage. BUT, it was Cook's best game which was encouraging. That pass break up was top level.
[Reply]
oldman 07:10 AM 10-04-2022
I re-watched the game last night and noticed a few things some of you mentioned.

The play calls seemed to come in much faster and there was more rhythm in the drives.

Karlaftis is going to be just fine. He's playing with his hand in the dirt a lot more than he did in college, so his technique needs to change. He doesn't have that extra step or 2 to get his bull rush on. Does anyone have his snap counts for the 1st 4 games? I think he was in a lot more Sundays night. Let's see what he does against other QBs that have a slower release.

I don't think Kelce was pissed at MVS so much as he was for some of the mugging that was taking place downfield. It'd be pretty weak sauce to call out MVS for a tough catch when he missed a couple.

Maybe CEH is running harder because a 7th rounder is taking some of his carries.
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:12 AM 10-04-2022
Karlaftis has been playing more snaps than anybody not named Chris Jones.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 8
« First < 34567 8 >
Up